THE Newcastle United FC thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew, JFC, if it wasn't for bad luck this week, we'd have none at all. Hard not to see disaster written all over this season. A bad luck bounce in the Liverfool game with a disastrous outcome. A bad luck draw for Man City in the Carabao Cup (the league effed up the draw but said they won't fix it--should've been away to Fulham). Now the deathiest group of death. Hard to see even finishing 3rd, meaning the Mags wouldn't even drop into the Europa League. Frakking brutal, man.
I actually think any 4 of those teams can win it. I think I could favor Newcastle getting 3rd over Milan.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd snap your hand off for third right now lol
Newcastle shouldn't count themselves out. Sure it has been a rough start, but you did play against City and Liverpool. Dortmund has the worst form of all teams in the group right now. AC Milan while flying, their form can change too.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Newcastle shouldn't count themselves out. Sure it has been a rough start, but you did play against City and Liverpool. Dortmund has the worst form of all teams in the group right now. AC Milan while flying, their form can change too.
I think this is the season where the naivete wears off. Newcastle haven't "arrived" yet. I think we'll still get into Europe next season, but it's going to be a bumpy road.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Woe and strife.
The league is so difficult. Maintaining constant success is nearly impossible unless you are man city. I am really impressed with how far Newcastle have climbed.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The league is so difficult. Maintaining constant success is nearly impossible unless you are man city. I am really impressed with how far Newcastle have climbed.
The problem isn't losing necessarily; it's the manner of loss. Sure, we forgive the Man City 1-0 but they had no driven, no intensity. Same against Liverfool. Same against Brighton. That is a theme and not a good one. I think Maybe Howe is trying to change how the team plays, and it's clearly not working. He's not going to get much longer at this pace.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The problem isn't losing necessarily; it's the manner of loss. Sure, we forgive the Man City 1-0 but they had no driven, no intensity. Same against Liverfool. Same against Brighton. That is a theme and not a good one. I think Maybe Howe is trying to change how the team plays, and it's clearly not working. He's not going to get much longer at this pace.
I can see that. Watching Tottenham jog around for the last 3-4 years waiting to pounce for a Son or Kane counterattack was frustrating. It’s early but so far they are playing with real passion and with a team spirit. I still contend that it is very hard to maintain consistent winning form in the league. That’s what makes man city so impressive. It’s all about building a winning culture and finding that system that works for your players. Tottenham had that under poch and the moment things started to go south a bit he got sacked and they still have not found their way back. Hopefully Newcastle can get back to what they were doing last year.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This week is either going to totally right the ship for the Mags, drag the season even further into suckage, or toe the line in between. Hoping for the first, but I guess I'd settle for the third.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Excellent result away at Milan. Despite them having all the real chances, and spells of high pressure, I never felt like the Mags embarrassed themselves. Away game at a tough opponent in the first CL game in forever, and the Mags come away with a point? I. Will. Take. It.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
With the lineup for tonight, it's pretty clear Howe is de-emphasizing the Carabao Cup, especially against Man City, who are doing the same, it seems. We'll see how it works out.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well, that was a pleasant surprise, and an unexpected win. I watched a dreadful first half that was right out of the Steve Bruce playbook, then had to wait a couple hours to watch the 2nd half. The gaffer hooked a few youngsters, got some experience in there, and said "Enough's enough." This is how Newcastle have to play, and haven't done often enough this year.

The prize for beating Man City? Drawing Man U away. Blech.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Holy cow, I totally missed this score line over the weekend!!

Luton and Sheffield seemed doomed to go right back down.. wouldn't be surprised if Burnley went too and all 3 were one and donw.
I was rooting for Luton and Burnley to survive. Burnley because of their coach/story and Luton because they're the ultimate underdog. Only drawing against 10-man wolves is a bad sign, though. Plus I expect Newcastle to put Burnley to the sword on Saturday.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson