THE Newcastle United FC thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, except normal footballers get punished; he rarely does. I once saw him pull this junk and they gave the other guy a yellow instead lol Like, how dare you get hurt.

Good point about his loyalty to Tottenham. I don't think it's been completely voluntary the last few seasons. I think he's wanted out, but seeing it wasn't happening, didn't kick up a fuss.

If it makes you feel better about the Arsenal thing, my buddy is an Arsenal fan and is convinced they're going to lose the title. Plus, Newcastle get a chance to help that happen in early may.
Mulli is an Arsenal fan too and I was really close to choosing Arsenal back in the day. He doesn't think they win either.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Huuuge win over Spurs today. Bummed that Kane got on the scoresheet and they gave up the clean sheet, but 6-1 is amazing. One more first-half goal and the Mags would've set the single half scoring record. Crazy. Champions League, here we come. Howe-way the lads!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Huuuge win over Spurs today. Bummed that Kane got on the scoresheet and they gave up the clean sheet, but 6-1 is amazing. One more first-half goal and the Mags would've set the single half scoring record. Crazy. Champions League, here we come. Howe-way the lads!
spurs have lost it. they have no direction and I really hope Daniel levy is axed, but for some reason he always remains as Antonio conte recently pointed out. congrats to Newcastle, hell of a campaign.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
spurs have lost it. they have no direction and I really hope Daniel levy is axed, but for some reason he always remains as Antonio conte recently pointed out. congrats to Newcastle, hell of a campaign.
Yeah, Levy is the problem. Funding the stadium and then not putting the necessary money into the team for years hurt a lot too.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Spurs players are refunding the money for their fans who went to the game. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before - just goes to show how embarrassing a performance that really was for them.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Damn, Longstaff may be out for the rest of the season due to suffering an ankle injury on an uncalled stonewall penalty, then Pickford tried to push him off the pitch. A lot to hate about that guy lol

Longstaff will be a big miss. Still, the Mags have Southampton today, so I'm penciling in at least a 2-0 win.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Started off with Newcastle unable to finish and Southampton snatching a late first-half goal, but the Mags just pummeled the Saints the whole second half. Lambs to slaughter (relegation).

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Although only a year ago we had a great win against Arsenal in similar circumstances as today, I'm just going to drop this little chestnut right here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Incredible game. Could have been 4 or 5 nil to either team, as wild and wonky as it unfolded. 2-0 is flattering to Arsenal but it is a deserved win. Newcastle unlucky to not get anything out of it. Screws are being turned on the Mags a bit right now. It says a lot as to how far they've gone that I had no doubt they'd equalize well beyond 80 minutes and down 2-0. And what does it say that a team in danger of relegation not much longer than a year ago would be disappointed to miss the Champions League places?

Oh well. Go West Ham :D

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Spurs players are refunding the money for their fans who went to the game. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before - just goes to show how embarrassing a performance that really was for them.
Small price to pay because surprisingly the tickets themselves aren’t very expensive once you are actually a season ticket holder(becoming one is very tedious and expensive over time with all the membership fees). They owe their fans so much more. Train tickets, hotel, beers, but how bout just play hard all the time instead of just when you feel like it.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Huge must-win against Leeds if Newcastle want to lock in CL football next year. Big Sam will want to sit deep, so the Mags must batter the Lily Whites and put them to the sword. Howe-way the lads!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Brighton/Newcastle game is massive for both teams. Situation goes without saying for Newcastle in regards to UCL. I don’t expect Brighton to get back into the UCL race, but if they beat Newcastle we end with relegated So’ton, Man City who likely will already have the title locked up, and Aston Villa. Win out and we are very much in the conversation, but it still looks like a long shot and Europa League will certainly be a huge accomplishment for Brighton if we make it.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, an absolutely huge game. Kind of reminiscent of the old Championship days but with higher stakes. Man, if that cheat job against Liverfool cost us a CL spot by the 1 point Newcastle was cheated of and the 2 points Liverfool were gifted, I will be pissed.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Yeah, an absolutely huge game. Kind of reminiscent of the old Championship days but with higher stakes. Man, if that cheat job against Liverfool cost us a CL spot by the 1 point Newcastle was cheated of and the 2 points Liverfool were gifted, I will be pissed.
Getting totally jobbed by the refs against Spurs looms very large for Brighton, but ultimately losing to bottom feeders Forest and Everton in late April/early May will be what does us in from making a CL spot.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Getting totally jobbed by the refs against Spurs looms very large for Brighton, but ultimately losing to bottom feeders Forest and Everton in late April/early May will be what does us in from making a CL spot.
Huh? Newcastle and United are still firm favorites to make Champions league.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Huh? Newcastle and United are still firm favorites to make Champions league.
Brighton still has games in hand on both. If the Spurs game was officiated correctly and Brighton didn’t lay an egg against two bottom feeding teams recently they would be right in that conversation.

Also, even though they have played an extra game, Liverpool has an easier schedule left than both Newcastle and MU. I think at least one CL spot will still be up for grabs on the final day.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
A definite hiccup on the weekend, stumbling to a draw at Loidis. A huge, huge home fixture against the Seagulls tonight. Win this one and the Mags are almost in the Champions League. Howe-way the lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Howe-way the lads! The extra goals are huge because it means the Mags probably get into the Champions League with a pair of draws. Of course a single Liverfool loss or a Mags win does it, too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep saying that; it just isn't true. They got punished for wasting time.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
You keep saying that; it just isn't true. They got punished for wasting time.
...except I posted the facts and numbers which showed that it had one of the largest amounts of played time in any game this season to that date, which puts the lie to the statement.

Either way, it looks to be immaterial. A Liverpool loss, Newcastle win, or even two Newcastle draws does it for the Mags. Liverpool are undoubtedly on an incredible run and might just catch Man U. No Klopp for the next match, though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...except I posted the facts and numbers which showed that it had one of the largest amounts of played time in any game this season to that date, which puts the lie to the statement.

Either way, it looks to be immaterial. A Liverpool loss, Newcastle win, or even two Newcastle draws does it for the Mags. Liverpool are undoubtedly on an incredible run and might just catch Man U. No Klopp for the next match, though.
Except there were injuries that added 4 minutes to the total alone. When you add up the substitutions and the time wasting on top of that, it is no wonder they added that much time.

I think Liverpool are the ones that should be kicking themselves. There was a 3 game stretch when they played City, Chelsea, and Aresnal. I said they needed 6 points out of that to realistically have a chance. They got only 2. They left at least one game too late in their fight back to get in the top 4. Oh well.

I was one of the few that was confident going into the season that Newcastle would be in Europe this season, I just didn't think it was the Champions league.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Except there were injuries that added 4 minutes to the total alone. When you add up the substitutions and the time wasting on top of that, it is no wonder they added that much time.

I think Liverpool are the ones that should be kicking themselves. There was a 3 game stretch when they played City, Chelsea, and Aresnal. I said they needed 6 points out of that to realistically have a chance. They got only 2. They left at least one game too late in their fight back to get in the top 4. Oh well.

I was one of the few that was confident going into the season that Newcastle would be in Europe this season, I just didn't think it was the Champions league.
Opinion stated as objective fact. Pass.

As for the rest, yeah, an absolutely incredible run. The fact that they're going to be in Europe and still might make the CL is a minor miracle. That's a great revival, but only possible because of the great hiccups you mention.

You thought Newcastle would be in Europe? Hell, I thought top 10 would be a win. Howe is on record as saying he just didn't want there to be a cloud of possible relegation--he merely wanted them to stay clear of that scrap. Definitely way ahead of the plan.

Side note: My mother really, really likes that really, really tall and handsome German coach lol