THE Newcastle United FC thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Gross finish for Newcastle. They looked like they were the ones down a man unable to play the ball out of the back. And horrible defending. A top 4 team playing at home has to get at least a point out of that game.

Last edited:

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gross finish for Newcastle. They looked like they were the ones down a man unable to play the ball out of the back. And horrible defending. A top 4 team playing at home has to get at least a point out of that game.

Impossible game to lose. But they found a way. The defense was terrible in the last 15 minutes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liverpool didn't deserve to win the game, but they didn't deserve to lose it either. The ref got a lot of things wrong, especially regarding Trent Alexander Arnold. That was as blatant of a foul that you will ever see. Pushed him square in the back and he slid about 12 feet. If he did is job and called a foul there, TAA wouldn't have reacted the way that he did. Even so, TAA knew the rules though. Throw in the fact that Joelinton probably committed enough fouls to earn 3 yellow cards was also pretty telling.

At least he got it right regarding the push on Anthony. It wasn't a promising attack that he stopped, and he wasn't hit in the face like a lot of people said that he was. It was forearm to shoulder. Not a yellow card. Trent stayed super composed after that the rest of the game.

Two games in a row, Liverpool has two very controversial red card decisions go against them. (I guess Liverpool don't get all of the calls, right?) I think the red was a super soft call and each time I watch it, I can call it yellow or red. It was really close. Van Dijk will be suspended; there's no way that PGMOL will overturn this one.

After Liverpool went down to 10 men, they were arguably the better team for most of the game. Newcastle had 2 chances that should have put the back of the net and didn't.

Darwin NUNEZ! Now 16 goals in 23 starts, and he is still considered somewhat of a disappointment. Partly because he is compared to Haaland and partly because he missed a lot of chances that he just buried this game.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From a fans perspective, it was a highly entertaining game.

Love how Klopp said it was their best game since 19 against Barcelona.

But a gut wrenching loss for NC. I gotta think Eddie is getting nervous.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think he said it was a better win than the 19 Barcelona.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Best Liverpool win in a long time...showed fight and grit that has been missing of late.

I just don't understand how Gakpo starts every game over Darwin....Nunez was on fire in preseason too. Yes, Gakpo is the better overall player, but Darwin's ability to put it in the back of the net is crucial.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Liverpool win in a long time...showed fight and grit that has been missing of late.

I just don't understand how Gakpo starts every game over Darwin....Nunez was on fire in preseason too. Yes, Gakpo is the better overall player, but Darwin's ability to put it in the back of the net is crucial.
I think it is because Darwin's game isn't really hold up play and supporting the midfield. He wants to be wide and or running down the channels like he did against Newcastle. Our midfield has needed help. I'm still infatuated with Szobozlai and Endo has started well as well. I have been a bit down on MacAllister. He hasn't played as well as expected.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and on the Newcastle side, I would be so frustrated with Almiron. He has a ton of talent, but more often that not, he is missing the final product. He could have had 2 or 3 goals if he were clinical.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think it is because Darwin's game isn't really hold up play and supporting the midfield. He wants to be wide and or running down the channels like he did against Newcastle. Our midfield has needed help. I'm still infatuated with Szobozlai and Endo has started well as well. I have been a bit down on MacAllister. He hasn't played as well as expected.
I get it, but sometimes you have to sacrifice defensive cover for goals...in this case, I think that Nunez scores enough to cover up for his defensive shortcomings. We'll see if the situation evolves as the weeks go on.

I think Mac's struggles are purely a reflection of him playing out of position...I think he'll acquit himself better in a more forward position.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it, but sometimes you have to sacrifice defensive cover for goals...in this case, I think that Nunez scores enough to cover up for his defensive shortcomings. We'll see if the situation evolves as the weeks go on.

I think Mac's struggles are purely a reflection of him playing out of position...I think he'll acquit himself better in a more forward position.
Let's hope. I don't think that Liverpool really want Mac Allister to play in a 6 but he had to today because of the red card. If Endo keeps playing the way he does, and Szobozlai can continue to be a box to box player, Mac Allister will be playing a more advanced role. (especially with TAA in that space a lot)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Liverpool didn't deserve to win the game, but they didn't deserve to lose it either. The ref got a lot of things wrong, especially regarding Trent Alexander Arnold. That was as blatant of a foul that you will ever see. Pushed him square in the back and he slid about 12 feet. If he did is job and called a foul there, TAA wouldn't have reacted the way that he did. Even so, TAA knew the rules though. Throw in the fact that Joelinton probably committed enough fouls to earn 3 yellow cards was also pretty telling.

At least he got it right regarding the push on Anthony. It wasn't a promising attack that he stopped, and he wasn't hit in the face like a lot of people said that he was. It was forearm to shoulder. Not a yellow card. Trent stayed super composed after that the rest of the game.

Two games in a row, Liverpool has two very controversial red card decisions go against them. (I guess Liverpool don't get all of the calls, right?) I think the red was a super soft call and each time I watch it, I can call it yellow or red. It was really close. Van Dijk will be suspended; there's no way that PGMOL will overturn this one.

After Liverpool went down to 10 men, they were arguably the better team for most of the game. Newcastle had 2 chances that should have put the back of the net and didn't.

Darwin NUNEZ! Now 16 goals in 23 starts, and he is still considered somewhat of a disappointment. Partly because he is compared to Haaland and partly because he missed a lot of chances that he just buried this game.
Agree on the initial non-foul call on Gordon. Disagree on the arm across Gordon. Upshot being, he should've been on a yellow and not gotten a second, so all in all it worked out.

Disagree on the red. That was a bang-on red card. Sloppy obvious foul from the last man. How is that anything but red? Also, he deserves his extra ban, as he reacted poorly.

Agree on Joelinton should have seen a yellow. Surprised he wasn't.

Agree that Liverpool looked the better team. Kind of a mirror image of last season, but yinz already had the two goals so managed to hold on. Newcastle couldn't get the second--and honestly, played stupid and soft and Howe made stupid substitutions--and yinz pushed and it payed off. I can't argue with the result, though it still makes me want to vomit. Also, I thought, after we got to the half at 1-0, Howe would re-set the team and unleash the hounds. Instead they went for a soft, possession-based game. Dumb as all get out. Man, this season isn't off to a great start, and now we're staring down a visit to Brighton. A loss there and we'll be sucking heading into Europe. Plus the Botman injury hurts. Oof, just off.

Speaking of Botman, it's a funny old game, isn't it? Had the man covered but the ball takes a bad bounce off him, and voila! Goal. Without that, I think Newcastle see out the victory. Ah well.

Oh, and I still hate that clown Klopp :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, and on the Newcastle side, I would be so frustrated with Almiron. He has a ton of talent, but more often that not, he is missing the final product. He could have had 2 or 3 goals if he were clinical.
Yep. Even though he hit the woodwork and tested the keeper, he had another dozen or so "chicken with his head cut off" routines. This is representative of why Newcastle won't challenge for titles for a year or two. The overall squad level needs to improve.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
You'd love him if he were your manager!
Probably, same way I love Jason Tindall. His schtick is just getting old, however, and all his whining about spending money when Liverfool outspent Newcastle in the hundreds of millions--maybe over a billion--for a decade and a half is simply ludicrous lying. And he knows it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Also - tough draw for Champions league...very group of deathy. Meanwhile, City and Barca get some real heavyweights like Crvena Zvezda (literally never heard of them) and Antwerp. :(

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Also - tough draw for Champions league...very group of deathy. Meanwhile, City and Barca get some real heavyweights like Crvena Zvezda (literally never heard of them) and Antwerp. :(
Whew, JFC, if it wasn't for bad luck this week, we'd have none at all. Hard not to see disaster written all over this season. A bad luck bounce in the Liverfool game with a disastrous outcome. A bad luck draw for Man City in the Carabao Cup (the league effed up the draw but said they won't fix it--should've been away to Fulham). Now the deathiest group of death. Hard to see even finishing 3rd, meaning the Mags wouldn't even drop into the Europa League. Frakking brutal, man.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
To addend, Man City and Barca were supposed to get the lightweights--they're listed at the top. Newcastle, listed at the bottom, are supposed to get the heavyweights. It sucks but there you have it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
To addend, Man City and Barca were supposed to get the lightweights--they're listed at the top. Newcastle, listed at the bottom, are supposed to get the heavyweights. It sucks but there you have it.
Oh I get it...just a particularly tough draw.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose