THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
******** it! God muthafarking sonofabitching effing damn it! The Mags had it, they had that effing game in the bag! They were dead on their feet exhausted and had been absolutely battered, but they effing had it.

Don't get me wrong. Trippier saved this team. He came in and was absolutely magnificent and set them up for survival, then led this team to the Champions League. He's been magnificent--and there it is: HAS BEEN magnificent. Lately he's been absolutely garbage and it is gutting.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Also, Caicedo should have been sent of early and this game should have been very different. Bang on red if there ever was one. How in the hell do they get away with not having VAR in this tournament? Absolute disgrace.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Wow, the season's pretty much over before the New Year. Hate to say it, but Howe has to be feeling a hot seat. No excuse here. None. If they came out gangbusters and highly motivated but tailed off, you could make the injuries and exhaustion excuse. They came out uninterested, unmotivated, and without a single drop of application or desire. That's absolutely unforgivable. Maybe his message is just wearing thin in the locker room? Lost 5 out of 6, lost to LUTON in embarrassing fashion, bounced out of Europe (showing complete naivete) and bounced from the cup in embarrassing fashion. Pretty much catastrophic. If they lose at Sunderland I will absolutely call for Howe's head.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Wow, the season's pretty much over before the New Year. Hate to say it, but Howe has to be feeling a hot seat. No excuse here. None. If they came out gangbusters and highly motivated but tailed off, you could make the injuries and exhaustion excuse. They came out uninterested, unmotivated, and without a single drop of application or desire. That's absolutely unforgivable. Maybe his message is just wearing thin in the locker room? Lost 5 out of 6, lost to LUTON in embarrassing fashion, bounced out of Europe (showing complete naivete) and bounced from the cup in embarrassing fashion. Pretty much catastrophic. If they lose at Sunderland I will absolutely call for Howe's head.
I think it is the burden of winning a top 4 slot. they will rebound, it is a long season.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I think it is the burden of winning a top 4 slot. they will rebound, it is a long season.
Eh, but if they don't get top 4 again (or top 5) and don't win or at least go deep in the FA cup, the season will be a massive failure and a failure to deliver legal revenue to appease FFP. And the gap is already opening up at the top.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Eh, but if they don't get top 4 again (or top 5) and don't win or at least go deep in the FA cup, the season will be a massive failure and a failure to deliver legal revenue to appease FFP. And the gap is already opening up at the top.
I know exactly how that feels. just gotta believe that they will recover and stay above mid table and keep moving forward as one of the top 8 teams every year. it's not easy.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
This Forest loss seems to have been a turning point for many fans in Newcastle. Where before there was reluctance to criticize Howe, I'm seeing more and more YouTubers (this is my only access to fans within the Toon) getting fed up with the excuses. I'm not a long time fan, so I'm not sure what to think, but it feels a little bit like the Monty Williams situation with the Suns. Took the team farther than we ever thought they would go, but seemed unable to take them over the top. I'm still hoping for better things though.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This Forest loss seems to have been a turning point for many fans in Newcastle. Where before there was reluctance to criticize Howe, I'm seeing more and more YouTubers (this is my only access to fans within the Toon) getting fed up with the excuses. I'm not a long time fan, so I'm not sure what to think, but it feels a little bit like the Monty Williams situation with the Suns. Took the team farther than we ever thought they would go, but seemed unable to take them over the top. I'm still hoping for better things though.
Not me. Fire him. You fire Howe before you even leave the stadium. I love what he did for us, saving the team from relegation and instilling belief, but the problems aren't going to change. He's lost the dressing room and isn't getting the requisite effort from the team. He plays favorites with the lineup--Burn should never, ever be starting over Liveramento, Trippier should be riding the pine, and I'd be tempted to leave Almiron out of the squad, he's been that bad, and injuries be damned--and, most critically, he has no plan B. If a crazy high press doesn't work, he has no other approach. He just throws on more attacking players and doubles down. You never see a change of system, an on the fly change of approach. It's Howe's way or the highway. Well, he should be hitting the highway by now, and when they lose their next 2 PL games and quite possibly crash out of the cup to freaking Sunderpuke, of all teams, they will finally act too late and fire him after the season is already long gone.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I love (read hate) how Newcastle fans are now turning on each other. Some are saying it's awful but to give Howe more time. Fair play--I think it's short-sighted and we're killing our season if we keep doing the same thing expecting different results, but I can see the other side. The sickening opinions are the smarmy ass hats blasting fans for being entitled. Like, how dare we be upset at losing 6 out of 7 and just plain sucking, clearly without any effort from the players and with poor managing from Howe. Like, we shouldn't dare mention any dissatisfaction with this. Suck it up! They'll probably try to sing the same song if the Mags crash out of the cup against Sunderland and go winless in January--which is highly likely (Man City, Liverfool, and Villa).

Only Magpies fans, eh?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Honestly felt I was watching an Ashley team for the most part, with them just battering the Mags and feeling no chance to win. Had a moment of brilliance striking back with Isaak but that's about it. Once again, Howe is totally unable to play a tight game and has to try to force the team to be free flowing and open even when it's stupid. Should've been fired.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This game is simply a must win. If Newcastle crash out of the FA Cup against Sunderland, of all teams, he's got to be fired. If they manage to advance, he will be given some time, but the games don't get any easier. I'm worried the Mags are wasting time losing games and not fixing the problem. Please, Howe, show yourself to be part of the solution again, or the Mags are in deep kimchee.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Really dumb to leave Livramento on the bench and start Burn. Howe's preference for leadership over actual skill might kill him again. Love Big Dan Burn, but he's been awful.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Good. They obtained the requisite result here. Burn's errors didn't cost the team. Unfortunately, the Mags (and Howe) are nowhere near out of the woods in the league yet.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I really wanted to watch the derby match. I agree that would have been really bad for Newcastle to lose to sunderpuke.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I really wanted to watch the derby match. I agree that would have been really bad for Newcastle to lose to sunderpuke.
Oh, I was already beyond angry to have to work Saturday, and then learned the game was that morning. At least I was able to shut the door and watch until the 50th minute, and saw the 2-0 lead built. Then I had to watch the rest after work on replay.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
On a side note, I really don't like a lot of what Ashworth did in the summer transfer market. Obviously refusing to sign a 3rd striker was idiotic. I said so at the time and it's proven true, especially with injury-prone strikers. The Hall move has been a bust and the Mags may be obliged to buy him still! Livramento turned out to be a solid signing although it was risky. The big one is going for Tonali instead of Szoboszlai (sp?). No idea how advanced the idea was to sign the latter, but the Hungarian captain has proven out from the very beginning and Tonali, who was having trouble settling, is suspended until next season. Overall just not good enough for a team who was going into the Champion's League. Not by a country mile.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
On a side note, I really don't like a lot of what Ashworth did in the summer transfer market. Obviously refusing to sign a 3rd striker was idiotic. I said so at the time and it's proven true, especially with injury-prone strikers. The Hall move has been a bust and the Mags may be obliged to buy him still! Livramento turned out to be a solid signing although it was risky. The big one is going for Tonali instead of Szoboszlai (sp?). No idea how advanced the idea was to sign the latter, but the Hungarian captain has proven out from the very beginning and Tonali, who was having trouble settling, is suspended until next season. Overall just not good enough for a team who was going into the Champion's League. Not by a country mile.
How do you feel about the Solanke rumors? I've really liked what I've seen from him in the Bournemouth games I've watched this season, but I know some are uncertain because of the limited sample size of good play. I would personally love to see him at Newcastle, but Bournemouth may ask for way too much; I think they would really struggle without him.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
How do you feel about the Solanke rumors? I've really liked what I've seen from him in the Bournemouth games I've watched this season, but I know some are uncertain because of the limited sample size of good play. I would personally love to see him at Newcastle, but Bournemouth may ask for way too much; I think they would really struggle without him.
I'm honestly surprised. 40 million for half of a good season? I remember him being completely ineffective for several years. A good striker finds a way to nab goals even on a bad team--Ayoze Perez scored for Newcastle back in the dark days. It wasn't until the team got better around him that Solanke started scoring.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA