THE Newcastle United FC thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by Stout, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Well said yourself, my friend!

2. Stout

Okay, I'm in direct opposition to Rafa with the team selection. I get that they payed well last season, but keeping the plodding Clark in at the back, the giveaway-happy Diame in at midfield instead of Ki, and keeping frickin' JOSELU in at striker with Rondon waiting in the wings is terrible! Not to mention going with Manquillo for the injured Yedlin instead of the young lad Sterry. Sure, Sterry's unproven, but Manquillo's only proven to be BAD! I'm really, really disappointed in this lineup, and really, really worried. Hopefully they prove me wrong and prove Rafa a genius again.

3. Stout

Jesus, is that the most pathetic half of soccer I've seen from Newcastle. I mean, just pathetic. I can't help thinking that the lineup is weighing in the players' minds--wondering why certain players who played like crap are still starting. If we weren't playing Cardiff, we'd already be down a few. And, gee, who could have anticipated Manquillo completely sucking like that?

Speaking of sucking, that ref is absolutely abysmal. Cardiff only fouled 3 times? In your effing dreams, ref. At one point they literally pulled and chucked a player to the ground right in front of him. No, nah, that's not a foul. They got two corner kicks after blatantly fouling and injuring a player. Nope, nah, not a foul. Then again, the worst miss for that sad excuse of a ref was not kicking Kenedy out, so I guess I should be thankful. No idea what was going through that moron's head at that particular moment. I get it, he was frustrated--can't really say ANY player, save maybe Perez, has had anything resembling a good half--but frustration is no reason to lash out like that, lad. Just ask Shelvey what happens when you do. I'm sure it'll be a retrospective 3-match ban, and one we can't afford.

Rafa, I'm looking square at you. If we only manage a draw or, more disastrously, we lose, it's all on your shoulders. Shame on you. Ring the changes at half time, and stop starting the schlups.

4. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

Second half is about to start. I just have began to watch.

5. Stout

Hoping for better viewing for you. 1st half was just ugly all around.

6. lorenzotexan

So far the red has been the most eventful thing. I don’t know that was a harsh foul although a tackle from behind it was.

7. Stout

Okay, first, heartbreak, because after we went down to 10 men, we were the better team. And, c'mon, it's a frickin' PENALTY. I'm quickly realizing that Kenedy is fool's gold. He's had a penalty and a 1-on-1 with a keeper this season, and zero goals. Unacceptable. I can't remember a telling or cunning cross he's put in yet. Clever on the ball isn't enough.

Pawson shouldn't ref another PL game again this season after that shocking performance. Our right back has to leave the game because of a crunching tackle that wasn't given as a FOUL, let alone a yellow card (absolutely was). His replacement gets SENT OFF for a yellow card offense. So, okay, that challenge is a red? THEN WHY THE **** IS ARTER NOT SENT OFF FOR THE EXACT SAME ******* CHALLENGE? Oh, no, I'm sorry, those kinds of fouls are red card fouls for Newcastle, but only yellow card offenses for Cardiff. MY ******* BAD! And, I have to admit, he should have sent Kenedy off in the first half, and he didn't even see yellow. So he misses two sending offs, and gets a yellow wrong as a red. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

He did finally start calling fouls against Cardiff in the 2nd half--hard to blame them for thinking they could continue beating up Newcastle players, given the precedence set in the 1st half--and he got the penalty call correct. That is not nearly enough to exonerate his atrocious performance. For as ugly as Newcastle and especially Cardiff were, the ref was BY FAR the ugliest part of an extremely ugly match.

8. lorenzotexan

You are correct about the referee

Stout likes this.
  9. Stout

I am embarrassed, today, as a Newcastle fan. That was so ugly that all the Magpie nation should be hanging their heads. I get the desire to play defensive and try to counterattack, but the key word there is TRY. There was NO effort to counterattack. None. And it was Rafa's fault, 100 percent. I'm sorry, but I'm with the pundits on this one. You could see it, clear as day, right in front of your eyes. Whenever a player even THOUGHT about stepping 5 feet beyond their chosen mark, they froze in place and fell back.

There's staunch defending, then there's capitulating any hope of moving forward. Then, when Newcastle push forward and get an equalizer, I was SCREAMING at Rafa not to go passive again, because that would 100 percent deflate the side and lead to a winner for Chelsea. Hmm, gee, what happened? They went passive again, it deflated the side, and it led to a winner for Chelsea.

I love Rafa, I do. He saved us from relegation last year, and I understand what he was trying to do. It flustered Sari; you could tell from his post-match comments. And the bend-but-don't-break DIDN'T break. The idiot ref awarded a non-penalty to gift Chelsea a free, unearned goal. I get it. But, dude, NO. Just no, Rafa. You have to allow the players to actually play, or you WILL lose them. That's why there's rumors of a training ground bust up with captain Lascelles. It isn't sustainable. It is so demoralizing to your own players that you WILL lose them at some point if you try to do this game after game.

It's ugly days at Newcastle. Hopes were high after last season, surging to 10th. Ashley and his band of asshats put a stop to the good feeling quick like and in a hurry. The squad got weaker instead of stronger, while the starting lineup didn't improve--it pretty much held serve. Then Rafa has begun the season poorly as a manager, IMO, leading to 1 point out of 9, barely out of the drop zone, with Man City coming up next. The Mags will be SUPREMELY lucky to escape relegation again, even with Rafa.

Oh, and another total crap ref, though not as bad as last week. "Hey, Chelsea, have a free goal! Oh, and hey, Yedlin, it's cool to elbow people in the face! Go ahead and cross for that goal, mate!" The only saving grace is that those two horrific calls evened themselves out--one each to Newcastle and Chelsea.

Finally, Yedlin shouldn't get down on himself. He had to try to get that ball. If he didn't own goal it, Barkley was there for the tap in. He absolutely made the right play; it just didn't work out.

10. lorenzotexan

Yeah I have to agree with that. While the penalty was harsh for me you can’t say it wasn’t bound to happen. Then yedlins elbow was instant justice. Guirode and the other Chelsea defense basically gave up on the play without a whistle blowing.

The last goal was a weak call by the ref. But poorly defended set piece and if yedlin had not put a touch on yes Barkley had a tap in.

Yeah overall poor tactics by Rafa. That’s what you do perhaps in Stamford bridge but not at home.

Stout likes this.
  11. Stout

Woe and strife.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  12. lorenzotexan

Yedlin and Walker score in the same game? What are the odds. Not goals ones either. Newcastle have to start letting yedlin run forward more. His pace is one of the few weapons they have.

13. Stout

Agreed. Close game against last year's runaway champions. Yes, having only 1 point with no wins and getting knocked out of the cup in humiliating fashion sucks, but Newcastle were one magnificent, nothing-you-can-do-about-it goal away from getting a point against the giant of the PL.

The one real positive, though? WE FINALLY HAD A REALLY GOOD REF lol

lorenzotexan likes this.
  14. lorenzotexan

I meant to say both of those goals were good(by walker/Yedlin).

anyway one thing to note from Newcastle is that they've had a killer stretch with the top clubs. and the last few without their best playmaker. the scoreless draw with Cardiff and inability to take advantage of a vulnerable spurs at home are both concerning. those are the type of matches they need to do better. but in the end they need better players. I think Rafa is typically getting the most out of what he has...

Stout likes this.
  15. Stout

I got what you meant. I wasn't taking anything away from Yedlin, but I think City could clearly have prevented the opportunity. Walker? Newcastle could do nothing about that one. Just amazing.

Yeah, it's an incredible stretch of tough games, and does make those two (should have drawn Spurs and beaten Cardiff) particularly painful. 1 point instead of 4, sitting 3rd bottom. Not good.

lorenzotexan likes this.