THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Interesting lineup with Gordon and Almiron coming off the bench. Lewis Hall starting. I'm excited to see what this group does.
I wondered what Eddie was up to but I think he kind of had to do this. Otherwise, he would have zero experienced firepower coming off the bench. Not that he has all experience in the starting lineup, but...yeah, attacking options are limited atm.

Howe-way the lads!

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
I wondered what Eddie was up to but I think he kind of had to do this. Otherwise, he would have zero experienced firepower coming off the bench. Not that he has all experience in the starting lineup, but...yeah, attacking options are limited atm.

Howe-way the lads!
Yeah. I think Gordon is a bit gassed as well, so maybe better for him to give it his all and provide a burst of energy for a brief time off the bench.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Tough loss. Best we can hope for is to finish 3rd and drop into the Europa League now. Have to hope PSG house Milan and then Dortmund beat them too.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Tough loss. Best we can hope for is to finish 3rd and drop into the Europa League now. Have to hope PSG house Milan and then Dortmund beat them too.
Dortmund just seems to really have our number. It was always going to be difficult with all the injuries.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Milan takes the win over PSG. A win today would have put Newcastle top of the group. Instead, they are in the cellar. Will need two wins and for things to fall our way.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Milan takes the win over PSG. A win today would have put Newcastle top of the group. Instead, they are in the cellar. Will need two wins and for things to fall our way.
That Milan win is a real stick in the eye.

If Dortmund beats Milan, all we need to do is beat Milan at home. I think PSG is a loss for us.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
When you have to start a bunch of kids with almost no experience, then bring on a bunch of kids with literally no experience, and when you're bringing on Matt Ritchie, and when you have no recognized strikers on the roster, you're going to do bad even against bad teams. Still, this is a bad result.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
When you have to start a bunch of kids with almost no experience, then bring on a bunch of kids with literally no experience, and when you're bringing on Matt Ritchie, and when you have no recognized strikers on the roster, you're going to do bad even against bad teams. Still, this is a bad result.
I haven't been able to watch the game yet, but Newcastle definitely need this international break. I hope Trippier doesn't start for England, to be honest. He seems like he needs a rest as much as anyone.

Ultimately, I guess we need more depth to compete in both the Prem and in Europe, but this many injuries seems like some bad luck as well.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch the game yet, but Newcastle definitely need this international break. I hope Trippier doesn't start for England, to be honest. He seems like he needs a rest as much as anyone.

Ultimately, I guess we need more depth to compete in both the Prem and in Europe, but this many injuries seems like some bad luck as well.
Yep. And Hall can't even start against Chelsea, they being his parent club. I suspect Livramento and Trippier will be starting on either side.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Yep. And Hall can't even start against Chelsea, they being his parent club. I suspect Livramento and Trippier will be starting on either side.
I'd like to see them keep Trippier on the right and try Livramento on the left

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Another reason to love Shearer:

When asked what other PL team he'd have loved to play for he said, ""Sunderland so I could get them f'ing relegated again!"

:biglaugh:

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Another reason to love Shearer:

When asked what other PL team he'd have loved to play for he said, ""Sunderland so I could get them f'ing relegated again!"

:biglaugh:
Haha. I heard that. That's a fantastic podcast.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Will we see something this special today for Newcastle versus Chelski?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Howe-way the lads!
Great result. I was a bit worried after Joelinton missed the easy header, but we played well all game. It was good to see Trippier back on top of his game, and having Isak back was a huge plus.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Great win, and this is with us starting a 17-year old, and our bench having 3 keepers, 2 30+ year old nobodies, and 3 other teenagers. And those 3 teenagers and 2 30+ year old nobodies all got on the pitch. Chelski was our biotch!

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful first half coupled with a bit of luck has us up 1-0! I've been impressed with Almiron going forward. Livramento has been excellent. I think Isak could easily have 2 goals already, but I'm hoping for more second half. C'mon!!!

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
So ticked off after that equalizer. Our guys were gassed and for that garbage to be the way they equalize...just disappointing. I guarantee, if you gave PSG 50 more shots at goal they would have missed all of them. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Good point, but I was hoping for 3 after all that.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well, we can tell who the refs had their money on tonight. I would expect better refereeing from a kid's soccer league. Absolutely shambolic and a cheat job of epic proportions. The ref was great throughout but then clearly just caved to the PSG pressure and gave up a moronic penalty call. What a gutless coward.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
To confirm the error of their shambolic decision, UEFA has stepped down the VAR ref from his duties tonight. That's 100 percent an admission of wrongdoing. Disgusting. I hope Dortmund kicks the crap out of PSG, but in reality, the ball should be entirely in Newcastle's court. A win at home against Milan should guarantee advancement. Now it only guarantees continuing in Europe. Shocking, just shocking.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, we can tell who the refs had their money on tonight. I would expect better refereeing from a kid's soccer league. Absolutely shambolic and a cheat job of epic proportions. The ref was great throughout but then clearly just caved to the PSG pressure and gave up a moronic penalty call. What a gutless coward.
I just don't understand how a ref who seemed to be standing firm throughout the game would capitulate at the end. I thought for sure he would uphold his original ruling except they never seem to when they go look at the screen. Why does looking at the screen always seem to be an automatic overturn? The VAR refs must be trying to convince the on field ref or something.

Hopefully Dortmund is motivated in their game against PSG. I guess first place in the group is on the line for them. We've got a good chance against Milan.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This team...this team, man, wow! Same named 11 have played three games in one week. The only subs were poor Nick Pope (another freaking injury!) and Matt Ritchie in extra time in one of them, and a few old fogies and young kids in another one. Not a single sub in Paris, where they were robbed of victory.

Funny thing is, Man U has kind of become an auto victory now. I know the Mags lost the cup to them, but since, they are Newcastle's *******. Never had a doubt heading into this game.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Unchanged side for the fourth game in a row where you can't really sub anyone out. Thankfully it's only against Everton, although that was a tough first half. Well, good teams survive that, come out strong in the second, and grit it out. Howe-way the lads!