THE Newcastle United FC thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by Stout, Aug 18, 2010.

1. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

I think Liverpool only want 15M or so. Definitely a good price in this market.

2. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

I don't think they'll get it. Only cost like 6 million, has been constantly hurt, and hasn't done much when he wasn't. I'm betting they hold onto him because they can't get that much, and hope he does well in cups to sell him for 15 or 20 in the winter. Either way--15, 20, or heck, 5--Cashley isn't stumping the money for him :(

3. dreamcastrocks

They are holding out for 20. I think he goes to SHampton for around 15 with a couple more in incentives.

4. Stout

I don't think anyone stumps for that right now. Perhaps they loan him out and then sell later. How can anyone possibly shell out 14 mill more for someone who has done nothing but get hurt since signing? Don't get me wrong--he's a great guy and has, in the past, been a heck of a player. Just...that's way too much for way too risky a player.

5. Stout

At least Newcastle got some defensive cover in by signing Fernandez. Still don't have a backup LB, still don't have a creative #10 midfielder, still don't have a top striker, still don't have anyone in central midfield to do a job if Shelvey gets hurt...basically, the Mags are a paper-thin squad who might do okay IF there are absolutely NO key injuries, and IF all the additions are brilliant. Otherwise, it's a pure relegation scrap.

6. dreamcastrocks

after saying this, it appears that SH are negotiating for Ings. lol They are far apart in valuation though. It isn't that much dough considering A) SH should be sitting on a mountain of cash after selling all of their players to us and B) The market has exploded lately.

7. dreamcastrocks

Another report is out that you wanted Ragnar Klavan and the owners didn't give the funds again. No wonder why Benitez is furious.

8. Stout

Oh, he's not the only one Rafa was denied. There were six or seven--that were publicly discussed--that they actively didn't sanction. Who knows how many more there were behind the scenes. I mean, he wouldn't have been a great signing at 32 yrs old, AND the Mags got Fernandez (much better player), but still. Actually, Rafa might have threatened to walk if they didn't get a CB before the window closed. Imagine going into the season with only 3 senior CBs healthy and 1 senior LB period! Thankfully they did get cover at CB.

I'll have to look up to see if SH got Ings, and at what price.

9. dreamcastrocks

20M with 18 up front. Goes out on loan for a year and then it is permanent. Weird since 'Pool is getting the money up front.

10. Stout

No, it's an initial loan with no fee, that becomes an obligation to buy next summer. The base fee is then 18 mill, with an additional 2 mill in add-ons based on performance. Liverpool ALSO added a 20% sell-on clause. I'm suspecting there may also be a clause that cancels the obligation if the Saints get relegated, but it doesn't say anything about it in the article.

Shrewd business by Liverpool indeed. The Saints must have been beside themselves in desperation to agree to it. Still, I was technically right--this IS a loan :D

11. Stout

Joselu, nooooooo! God, do I hate Cashley. Rafa wanted to do his business EARLY in the summer. Instead, Cashley made him do the important part of his limited business at the END of the summer. Do you want Joselu starting? Because that's how you get Joselu starting. At least Muto and Rondon made the bench.

Sadly, Clark also starts. Too early for either Schar or Fernandez. Not that he's bad, but we don't have a CB that's great with the ball at his feet.

Ah well. Howay the lads! Let's beat (or at least draw) Spurs!

12. Stout

LOVE NBCSN covering the drama on Tyneside. Not letting Cashley off one little bit.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  13. Stout

Fair play to Joselu for the goal--wide open, but credit for positioning--but damn, he injures himself to let it go out for touch over the end line? Continually kicks it to the other team? Ugh. Still, a goal should do well for his confidence.

Good ref work in this one. Really has control of the game. Losing Lejeune has really put the defense at sixes and sevens--got to get Schar and Fernandez up to speed STAT. Kenedy the star for Newcastle thus far. Ritchie really playing well. Shelvey hasn't gotten onto the ball well at all so far. Diame sucking. Bring on Ki and Rondon ASAP!

14. Stout

A really, REALLY unlucky result. Newcastle definitely deserved at least a draw there. Not Spurs' fault, really, as you could see how tired they were in the second half. The Mags just got a bunch of unlucky bounces. And, as dynamite as Kenedy was today, lad, you HAVE to score there :)

Still and all, not the worst start, even with a loss. REALLY worried about Yedlin, even if he looked like crap today. If he's injured, it leaves them with 2 healthy outside backs.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  15. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

2-1 at the half. Newcastle had some good things going after spurs 2nd goal.
    Well said Stout. What you said before the match was prophetic. Spurs looked well early, but after they scored the 2nd they looked fatigued. Kane and Eriksen in particular looked poor and lacked precision with the ball. both of them gave the ball away carelessly. aurier? as great of a ball that he hit on the goal....he has 3 or 4 poor efforts before he does something worthy of being on the pitch. Once Dembele came in they were able to somewhat kill the match by keeping the ball.

Newcastle deserved a draw and if they were more clinical maybe they have a chance at 3 pts. A great block by Vertonghen, but also very very lucky. Kennedy should have scored on his unmarked walk up. he let lloris off the hook with that heavy touch. and Yedlin looked like a non factor aside from his poor marking of Ali. I have to say they need to use him more in the attack to create goals and any type of long term injury to him could be problematic. hopefully he is not severely injured. glad that he was at least walking, but still looked gross.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Stout likes this.