THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Absolute crap refereeing. Granted, I still think we would have lost by 1, but dear lord. Apparently it's okay to only stand 5 yards off a corner and block it, because Liverpool was allowed to do so 3 or 4 times, to the announcers' chagrin. Oh, and I guess Ameobi should flop like a little girl, and maybe he'd get the legitimate penalty he earned. Instead Suarez, who should have been carded early for a flop (ref called him on a flop, just didn't book him), who flopped again later to earn a free kick, gave the flop of the century...and earned a penalty. I mean, sure, he managed to get in a position so that the ref couldn't actually see what was going on before he fell like a sack of potatoes without a cause, but the ref has got to know what kind of a bitchy little flop princess this guy is and not call a worthless penalty.

So, we should have had one, and they should have had one less. Still puts us 2-1 down thanks to a horrific touch by our worthless right back Simpson. You never know if we might have been able to equalize, though. Oh well. I guess flopping is the thing to do in the Premiership now.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Good draw. I thought we'd come out flat and get clobbered. While they certainly had the run of play, Chelsea was mentally way off their game. It was clear that their failure to take the league grated on them, and it allowed us to sneak out a draw.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Nice start to the season by the Magpies. A solid draw with Arsenal and collecting all three points in the huge derby with the black kittens of Sunderland? I'll take it!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well, it wasn't easy on the eyes, but we advanced to the 3rd round of the Carling Cup. Man, do we have some excellent young midfielders ready to flash onto the scene for the first team. Ameobi and Vuckic are simply fantastic, and make the loss of Barton really easy to bear. Adios, Barton!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Excellent result for us. The funny thing is, when I got out of bed and got ready to put the recording on, I thought, 'hmm, 2-1 us, with Dempsey getting the goal for Fulham.' Well, it made for a nervous finish, but that's exactly what happened.

And, let me say, man, it is GOOD to have a top keeper!!!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well, transfer window closure day, and Newcastle earns a FAIL!!! We sold our #9 Caroll last winter, and have still not replaced him. Newcastle still doesn't have a #9, or a real 2nd striker. Yeah, we shored up our defense. And yes, our defense has played well and our keeper seems like a young, world class keeper. Sadly, we'll need that defense, because without a 2nd striker, I don't know how we're scoring. We are SCREWED!!!

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Pulled off the tie with QPR. I thought the Rangers were going to put in at least one. Good defense saved the game.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Pulled off the tie with QPR. I thought the Rangers were going to put in at least one. Good defense saved the game.

Yeah, our failure to sign a striker in the window really, really kills us. Without that quality up top, we aren't going to be able to push forward as much as we need.

Still, our defense looks really tough, and we're sitting in 4th.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Man, we dominated Villa. Had I been asked before the game (or even at half time), I'd have been happy with the point. The way we kicked their rear ends, we should have gotten all 3. Ah well, our old boy Given really denied us.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Excellent result against Nottingham Forest today. Was able to listen to it on the radio. The struggling Forest side put up quite a fight...we score, they score...3 times! But Captain Colo put it away in stoppage time of extra time. What skill by some of our players in this match...amazing! Amazing, because we replaced 9 of our first team players, gave an 18 yr old his first start, showed our quality of depth, and still put in a thrilling match...and won! On to the next round of the Carling Cup. I don't know how they do the selections, but we very much deserve a home match--two straight road matches in this competition. I am starting to believe.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Picked up all 3 at home with ease against Blackburn. Demba Ba will break out now, I think, since Ramadan is over. A nice hat trick to seal the win from him.

Still, a third straight road draw in the Carling Cup? What kind of crap is that? Thankfully it's Blackburn though, so we should still win it. Getting this close to the final 8 in the cup, we need to field a strong side in that game.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Hell yeah! Newcastle to third in the table! 'Course, Chelsea will skip over us after they kill Bolton tomorrow, but still...what a start to the season!

This match was so horribly officiated that it really ruined the game. Wolves mauled our players all game, and we should have had about 10 more fouls called from it. Wolves definitely suffered the worst, though, having a penalty crucially denied in the first (ref said it was outside the box--it CLEARLY wasn't) and had a goal denied on a questionable call (although it really looked like it went out of play before coming back into the box).

Still and all, I was royally frustrated with Pardew in this one. We're up 2-0 and kicking the crap out of them (Krul is my hero, btw). About 15 minutes into the second half McCarthy makes 2 subs that bring a bit of spark to the team. Pardew's answer? Bunker in and play defense. Damn near gave up a draw because of it. Disgusting. I hate that kind of play. Sure, if you have a nice lead against a much, much better opponent, go ahead and make a few defensive subs and bunker it up. Never, ever bunker when you're a better team, at least not until the very end. Good lord!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Absolute scorcher of a match between two in-form sides. Both teams played incredibly well, with three cracking goals and a deserved penalty going in favor of Spurs late in the first half. The ref was magnificent--best reffed game I have ever seen in soccer. I hate to say it, but he was right in not giving us the penalty at the end. The announcers said it best when they announced 5 minutes of extra time--with a match like this, we would have been perfectly happy had it been 10 extra minutes.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Absolute scorcher of a match between two in-form sides. Both teams played incredibly well, with three cracking goals and a deserved penalty going in favor of Spurs late in the first half. The ref was magnificent--best reffed game I have ever seen in soccer. I hate to say it, but he was right in not giving us the penalty at the end. The announcers said it best when they announced 5 minutes of extra time--with a match like this, we would have been perfectly happy had it been 10 extra minutes.

Shola's goal was a beauty. I didn't know he was capable of such class. From what I've read on other boards, he's kind of a sore spot for lots of Newcastle fans.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Shola's goal was a beauty. I didn't know he was capable of such class. From what I've read on other boards, he's kind of a sore spot for lots of Newcastle fans.

He can make shots like that, but he can also totally disappear for long stretches of the game, and for several games in a row. Part of it can be that he never used to get great service from the midfield, sure, but his work rate and heart get called into question a lot. I didn't want him in the game, but I'm glad Alan Pardew did :)

Good result again!!!! I think you did enough to win it to honest....much as it pains me to say it:mulli:

True, but we did enough to lose it too, so a draw is fair :) Like I said, incredible officiating.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, you're off the Black Kittens bandwagon, eh? I like Spurs as a club. I can't stand the evil clubs--you know who they are. Too bad you couldn't jump over to the Magpies.
I needed a London club. But if my Arsenal fan friends ask, I like them. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson