THE Newcastle United FC thread

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For one, you definitely didn't watch it, because Nolan didn't make significant contact with him until the guy started flopping like a fish out of water. Are you just trying to be obstinate?

For another, Barton went down too easily? Really? Because he didn't even know he was going to be touched. He was suckered. The goalie, on the other hand, was looking around trying to get someone in trouble.

Of course they were trying to grab the ball. The keeper HAD NO EFFING RIGHT to take the ball. His only reason for touching it in the first place, for picking it up and then deliberately shielding it, was to waste time. Again, the ref knew what that keeper was up to. Arsenal was acting like a bunch of whiny little children, and the ref wasn't putting up with it.

Arsenal lost a 4-goal lead. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Notice that our guy, who almost got KNOCKED OUT COLD by a knee to the back of the head, didn't even get a foul called for him. It happens. Arsenal made a stupid mistake, and they paid for it by going down to 10 men. That's the story here, aside from how pathetic our defense was early on.
I have never said that a draw wasn't fair. Newcastle should have had the 'offside' goal and the second penalty shouldn't have been given.

I did watch it, in fact I still have it on sky plus and have seen it a few times. You clearly haven't seen the incidents more than once. Barton was suckered? Interesting, seeing that Diaby had his hand on the back of his neck for a second or two before pushing him.

As for the keeper thing I will say again to see if you understand this time. He didn't have a right to hold on to the ball. Newcastle didn't have a right to take it either. As you said teams will often try and take the ball quickly, but you also see goalies try and hold the ball. Neither were breaking any rules. The only rule that was broken was when Nolan had the keeper in a near headlock. He raised his arms and should have seen red.

I have been reasoned on this thread, you have not. I feel a draw was a fair result but you seem hell bent on defending the indefensible.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have never said that a draw wasn't fair. Newcastle should have had the 'offside' goal and the second penalty shouldn't have been given.

I did watch it, in fact I still have it on sky plus and have seen it a few times. You clearly haven't seen the incidents more than once. Barton was suckered? Interesting, seeing that Diaby had his hand on the back of his neck for a second or two before pushing him.

As for the keeper thing I will say again to see if you understand this time. He didn't have a right to hold on to the ball. Newcastle didn't have a right to take it either. As you said teams will often try and take the ball quickly, but you also see goalies try and hold the ball. Neither were breaking any rules. The only rule that was broken was when Nolan had the keeper in a near headlock. He raised his arms and should have seen red.

I have been reasoned on this thread, you have not. I feel a draw was a fair result but you seem hell bent on defending the indefensible.

Oh suuuure you've been reasonable, except for dodging my question repeatedy...WHY DID THE KEEPER EVEN TOUCH THE BALL? Whoops, that kind of scuppers your whole argument, eh? The goalie had no right to go back and specifically grab the ball up for any reason, unless he was tossing it back out to the ref. He was deliberately cheating, and the ref damn well knew it. That scumbag ran to the back of the net, grabbed the ball, ran to the touchline, and stood there with his back to the pitch. As soon as Nolan approached him he tried to go down like a sack of bricks. The idiot could have avoided it by, you know, not doing what he wasn't supposed to do. The card was well deserved.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh suuuure you've been reasonable, except for dodging my question repeatedy...WHY DID THE KEEPER EVEN TOUCH THE BALL? Whoops, that kind of scuppers your whole argument, eh? The goalie had no right to go back and specifically grab the ball up for any reason, unless he was tossing it back out to the ref. He was deliberately cheating, and the ref damn well knew it. That scumbag ran to the back of the net, grabbed the ball, ran to the touchline, and stood there with his back to the pitch. As soon as Nolan approached him he tried to go down like a sack of bricks. The idiot could have avoided it by, you know, not doing what he wasn't supposed to do. The card was well deserved.

Wow. You keep digging yourself a bigger hole don't you. My argument hasn't been 'scuppered'. In fact you have just ignored what I have said on the matter. Nolan and Barton didn't need to get involved. Leave it to the ref to get the ball back.
Go back and watch the highlights. The keeper that apparently went down like a sack of bricks and was looking to get somebody in trouble didn't run shouting to the ref, he bounced straight back up and threw the ball back towards the centre.

Even Lawrenson and Shearer agreed that Nolan had commited the same crime that Diaby had done. In fact most 'experts' that watched the game seem to agree.
We could keep going back and forth on this but at the end of the day a draw was fair. I just feel that inconsistent refereeing is ruining the game.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Best is looking pretty good as well. Your lot won't go down this year.

Eh. I'll watch and start thinking that Best is worthless, he isn't doing anything...then just when I'm about to give up on him, he does well again.

I like Best, but as a top sub striker at Beast :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Considering Ryan Taylor's idiotic challenge and red card in the 54th minute, with the score 1-1, I'll take the draw. Sadly, we should have put a few more in early on, but couldn't find the back of the net again.

Taylor's challenge reminded me of Ricardo Clark of the U.S. National team; too heavy a touch, lose possession, go too hard after the ball to make up for it, make stupid foul, get red card.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Ugh. Gutted by this result. We were robbed on a call that gave them a goal, but I don't think it had a bearing at all on the outcome. I knew in my heart that all the talk of Europe a few weeks ago was silly, but this is getting sillier. I *think* we'll stay up, but damn it, I want to *know* it :(

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Tough loss, but not a game I expected us to win. We were missing our 2 best midfielders and had 2 strikers out to injury. Coloccini had to start in midfield, for crying out loud. Add to that that Villa is really good at home, and fuhget about it.

It didn't change who won the game, but the ref was absolutely awful in the game. Missed three hand balls that may have helped us, though none were in danger zones. Missed a penalty against us that would have had us lose 2-0 instead of 1-0. Bad performance.

Reaction score
Liverpool according to thommo its a done deal. No such thing i know. I gifted player for sure

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
According to this source, its a done deal.

Well, I'm not certain what will happen after the season, but that source is 100% wrong. The transfer window has been closed for quite some time, and he is still under contract with the team. It would be illegal for a team to even talk to him about a new deal.

Basically, what ownership needs to do is strike immediately when the transfer window opens. We have Enrique, Nolan and Barton out of contract, and they want to make sure the club is committed to winning. Actually, I think the key is to sign Nolan ASAP, as soon as we're sure of staying up. Barton has said that if Nolan signs it is good enough for him, and if both of them sign up, Enrique is much more likely to stay with the Magpies.

But hey, with out of contract players, you never know. A big club could throw a lot of money at them, and they could be gone.

We'll have Hatem Ben Arfa (sp?) back next season, and he was explosive before being crushed by that brutal tackle. With Tiote and Guttierez in the midfield, we're looking very strong there. Hopefully Nolan and then Barton sign, and we'll have an amazing midfield and be set there.

On defense, Taylor, Coloccini and Williamson are all solid, but not great. Enrique is amazing, but we may not have him. We could really use a solid central defender to gel that unit together.

And that brings us to strikers. Or lack thereof. Ameobi has really come on strong as that big holding striker. I could live with him starting, or being a first choice sub. Best is a good sub striker, as is Lovekraands (sp?). That leaves a big hole in the striking department. This needs to be our major focus, finding and signing a real quality striker. It'll be hard to do, and it'll mean we have to spend that money we received from selling Carroll. Ashley has sworn we will do it, but it remains to be seen.

So, it will be an exciting offseason for the Magpies, but I will probably need plenty of prilosec.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Won by getting the draw?

I didn't get to see the game, but it sounds like it was a fun one, from the ratings i'm reading.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I was personally ecstatic, that Newcastle won.

Yeah, unfortunately it was only a draw, but a big one. The point was nice.

Won by getting the draw?

I didn't get to see the game, but it sounds like it was a fun one, from the ratings i'm reading.

Well, it was fun for Newcastle early, back and forth before the half, and mostly fun for Man U in the second half, but they were frustrated at not getting the goal. Newcastle could have easily scored two or three early, they were that good, and Man U could have easily scored two or three later.

Play of the game was Krul taking the ball literally off a player's foot right in front of the net after a terrific cross. This was somewhere around the 3rd minute, right before the Newcastle onslaught, and it would have changed this game completely.

A penalty should have been called against Anderson, who stupidly kicked Lovekraands (sp?) in the box with two other defenders shutting him down. Tiote probably should have been called for a handball penalty. He wasn't trying to handball, I don't think, but he flailed his arms in the jump before the kick, and you should not do that in the box. Some missed calls, but evenly disbursed.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Always nice to gain a point when you are completely outclassed. Newcastle felt too secure in the run up to this game, I think. Blackpool was desperate and Newcastle had already hit 40 points, and it showed today who was the hungrier side. Still and all, they didn't get that winner, so I'll take the lone point.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose