THE Newcastle United FC thread

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im with EOT... This was a fantastic move for Newcastle. They may have potentially (likely) taken Liverpool to the cleaners in this deal. 35M for a player who's been top flight for half a season is amazing.

Liverpool did pick themselves up a bit with the Torres deal, though. That guy is made of glass. A combo of Caroll+Suarez is looking very good for them.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Im with EOT... This was a fantastic move for Newcastle. They may have potentially (likely) taken Liverpool to the cleaners in this deal. 35M for a player who's been top flight for half a season is amazing.

Liverpool did pick themselves up a bit with the Torres deal, though. That guy is made of glass. A combo of Caroll+Suarez is looking very good for them.

thats what i mean, the lad (whilst not without talent) has played about 35 top flight games and scored 14 goals and had a decent season in the championship. Big gamble and a massive fee....and the lad is crocked at the mo!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

English, you're 100 percent wrong. The transfer window is closed, so we not only don't pick up a striker, but we lose a world-class one! The owner will never, ever spend that money! Yes, if ownership were WILLING to not be complete assfaces (or should I say assFACE, Ashley effing GIRLS NAME Ashley!), players would come. It's a big club with passionate fans. But he won't spend it, he'll pocket it!

Okay, so the kid was completely greedy. New contract in October and already wanted a new contract. Um, okay, SO EFFING WHAT? The reason they did it wasn't the money, the team swears it wasn't. They didn't want the headache he would have caused over his contract. Um, WHY IN THE HELL NOT!!! I don't care what kind of headache he'll cause off the field, he'll help you win games ON the effing field!!!

So, we'd better hope none of the relegation-spot teams catches us up in points. This team will be absolutely gutted, have little strike options, and won't garner many more points this season. We'll be absolutely lucky to stay up next season too. My God, but I hate this owner. I'm so very, very close to dumping the team because of him. It'd be like trading Fitz for cash considerations, and then signing Nate Burleson (Stephen Ireland) with the money. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If a guy who's only played 6 months with your team suddenly gets interest for 35 million pounds, you have to take it. Sucks for this year, but damn. He's now the 7th highest paid player in Premiere League HISTORY.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

English, you're 100 percent wrong. The transfer window is closed, so we not only don't pick up a striker, but we lose a world-class one! The owner will never, ever spend that money! Yes, if ownership were WILLING to not be complete assfaces (or should I say assFACE, Ashley effing GIRLS NAME Ashley!), players would come. It's a big club with passionate fans. But he won't spend it, he'll pocket it!

Okay, so the kid was completely greedy. New contract in October and already wanted a new contract. Um, okay, SO EFFING WHAT? The reason they did it wasn't the money, the team swears it wasn't. They didn't want the headache he would have caused over his contract. Um, WHY IN THE HELL NOT!!! I don't care what kind of headache he'll cause off the field, he'll help you win games ON the effing field!!!

So, we'd better hope none of the relegation-spot teams catches us up in points. This team will be absolutely gutted, have little strike options, and won't garner many more points this season. We'll be absolutely lucky to stay up next season too. My God, but I hate this owner. I'm so very, very close to dumping the team because of him. It'd be like trading Fitz for cash considerations, and then signing Nate Burleson (Stephen Ireland) with the money. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

WORLD CLASS? Are you on drugs?

He could become a top Premier League striker, but that is yet to be seen. He has had ONE decent Championship season (not spectacular) and a good start to this season. It is a HUGE gamble. I know you must be annoyed that you haven't signed a replacement but you can't turn down that sort of money.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If a guy who's only played 6 months with your team suddenly gets interest for 35 million pounds, you have to take it. Sucks for this year, but damn. He's now the 7th highest paid player in Premiere League HISTORY.

Right after being relegated, Carroll was linked to a 4M move to Wolves.

I dont think things could've gone any better for him. The fact that he's English also inflates his value significantly.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
#1: Various posters: "You have to take the money". Nothing dumber can ever be said. Oh, great, we made 35 million pounds off the sale. How many hundreds of millions will we lose when we get relegated? This move is beyond idiotic. YOU DO NOT WIN SELLING TOP YOUNG TALENT!!! You simply don't do it. Oh, if they turned right around and used the money on say a Rooney or someone that can make a real impact, then that would be all right. But they can't, and later they won't. It just isn't done. How many of us expect the Cardinals to go out and sign Peyton Manning? Now lower the odds by about 50 percent. This money is going right to Mike Ashley's pockets, or to offset his losses with the club.

#2: Yes, I overreacted in saying World Class. I should say good enough to start for England constantly in the near future. Definitely one of the best young strikers in the Premiership. Not nearly world class yet, though.

This is just a crushing blow. If a team in the bottom 3 wins a few, they'll start catching up to us. We're lucky to have made ourselves a bit of a cushion, or we'd be relegated for sure. We'll struggle to stay up next season and probably won't. Mark my words, this will be a killer loss for us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
#1: Various posters: "You have to take the money". Nothing dumber can ever be said. Oh, great, we made 35 million pounds off the sale. How many hundreds of millions will we lose when we get relegated? This move is beyond idiotic. YOU DO NOT WIN SELLING TOP YOUNG TALENT!!! You simply don't do it. Oh, if they turned right around and used the money on say a Rooney or someone that can make a real impact, then that would be all right. But they can't, and later they won't. It just isn't done. How many of us expect the Cardinals to go out and sign Peyton Manning? Now lower the odds by about 50 percent. This money is going right to Mike Ashley's pockets, or to offset his losses with the club.

#2: Yes, I overreacted in saying World Class. I should say good enough to start for England constantly in the near future. Definitely one of the best young strikers in the Premiership. Not nearly world class yet, though.

This is just a crushing blow. If a team in the bottom 3 wins a few, they'll start catching up to us. We're lucky to have made ourselves a bit of a cushion, or we'd be relegated for sure. We'll struggle to stay up next season and probably won't. Mark my words, this will be a killer loss for us.

6 months doesn't make someone "TOP".

You know there is a major financial crisis in English football, right? All the small teams are having problems. Even if someone offered Barca 200 million for Messi, don't you think they'd take it? You look and see Carroll got 35 million, and you start thinking that he's actually worth it. He's not.

The problem isn't that Newcastle sold Carroll, the problem is that they have nobody to replace him with. There's going to be A LOT of activity with you guys over the summer. Right now, you just have to tread water and play to not get relegated, as I think your team will look a lot different next season.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
The skunks won't go down and they will have to way and see what cashley does in the summer. 35 is way over the odds no matter what stout thinks. I know how it feels, see Bent. Money rules and we have both been shafted of late. Good teams dont sell their best players....well maybe but everyone has thier price, be it ronaldo, villa, Torres, bent or Carroll.

The concern with you is that he does re invest. Time will tell.

On a lighter note, a lad at work has a Newcastle calendar at his desk...he turns the calendar over to February this morning and I don't think I need to tell you which player was face of this month :)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Okay, so it's being reported that Pardew forced Ashley to agree to spend ALL of the cash over the summer before they sold him. I don't buy for a minute that will happen, but if we pick up a top striker and managed not to get relegated, I'll feel a little better--but that player had better be young and still getting better! For EF's sake, he was a kid that was only going to get better, was raised in the system, and had wanted to be here for life...good God, this is stupid!!!

The problem is, I very much doubt we'll spend that money this summer. We'll sign some second or third line striker like we did with Lovekraands (sp?), we'll get relegated, and those second and third class players will do great...in the Championship, because we'll be relegated.

And if we get relegated next season, and especially if we get relegated this season, how much money is lost? How many millions of pounds? How many hundreds of millions of pounds? Is it worth it to take 35 million and to lose 100+ million? Ugh.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good 2nd half from Newcastle, after what was probably the best first 30 minutes of football I've ever seen. There were so many problems for Newcastle in the first half, and then all those problems moved to Arsenal in the 2nd. Very disappointing finish. And even though Barton's tackle on Diaby was bush league and deserved at least a yellow, Diaby's retaliation leading to his red was absolutely one of the stupidest things I've seen. And when he pushed that ****** Nolan, that was his 2nd yellow and his send off. Just stupid.

Newcastle probably should have won the game because there was a goal that was disallowed because of offsides, but moron Rosicky actually played him onside. Arsenal should feel lucky they only drew. I only hope Schezny doesn't get the blame for the match--Kocielny screwed things up big time when he gave up the first penalty.

EDIT: And Manchester United LOST, so another huge lucky break for us. We actually gained a point on them.

Last edited:

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Good 2nd half from Newcastle, after what was probably the best first 30 minutes of football I've ever seen. There were so many problems for Newcastle in the first half, and then all those problems moved to Arsenal in the 2nd. Very disappointing finish. And even though Barton's tackle on Diaby was bush league and deserved at least a yellow, Diaby's retaliation leading to his red was absolutely one of the stupidest things I've seen. And when he pushed that ****** Nolan, that was his 2nd yellow and his send off. Just stupid.

Newcastle probably should have won the game because there was a goal that was disallowed because of offsides, but moron Rosicky actually played him onside. Arsenal should feel lucky they only drew. I only hope Schezny doesn't get the blame for the match--Kocielny screwed things up big time when he gave up the first penalty.
I don't know about lucky to only draw. I thought both penalties were weak calls, especially the second one. But they played terribly in the second half and Diaby is just moron.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know about lucky to only draw. I thought both penalties were weak calls, especially the second one. But they played terribly in the second half and Diaby is just moron.

That disallowed goal early in the 2nd was absolutely the wrong call. Even with the questionable penalties, it should have been 5-4 Newcastle.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Wow Chap. The way it fell out I thought you were going to be crying up a storm at the penalties and such. Heck of a good sport!

Now, this message will be in 2 parts. First part starts with me screaming 'Oh my God! literally about 15 times in a row when we scored the equalizer. I couldn't find any other words for what I was feeling. To think I almost dumped the game after the fourth goal from my DVR. I disagree, Chap, about the opening 30 minutes. Yeah, it was the typical beautiful style of football by Arsenal, but against a normal team you might score one of those. We just flat-out laid down, exposed our throats, and handed you those goals. Free runner, stupid foul, no one even willing to move on a cross...gutless plays.

No, I don't think we should have won the game. Yes, we had one stolen from us, but that second penalty was never a penalty. The first one absolutely was, but not the second.

Now to the second part of my post: HEY IDIOTS, THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SELL YOUR BEST PLAYER!!! Yeah, we had that incredible, earth-shattering comeback, but that never happens without that stupid player earning a red card. You could see that this team had its heart taken away, with no will to even show up for the game. Pardew earlier in the week even publicly admitted the team was gutted from the loss...publicly! Sure, this is a great draw, but by tomorrow, the guys will look around and realize once again that their best player is gone.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Only a point against ten men... ;-).

Haha, I'll take it, my friend.

You should have seen me in injury time, standing, almost running in place in front of my TV.

"Go go go go go go go, we're getting the winner, WE'RE GETTING THE WINNER!!!"

*Arsenal gains possession*

"Blow the effing whistle, ref, BLOW THE EFFING WHISTLE!"

Repeat lol

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I thought the Arsenal players may just have been babies during the game...

...but they're still at it.

But Wilshere feels that referee Dowd should have taken firmer action against Nolan, who appeared to tangle with Gunners goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny after Barton's first penalty, only for the visiting shot-stopper to be cautioned.

The midfielder wrote on Twitter: "Inconsistent refereeing needs to stop. It's killing the game.

"If Diaby goes, what's the difference between that and Nolan on our keeper!?? Joke."

Hey there whiny little Wilshere, your teammate was cheating, trying to hold the ball and slow the game down...that's delay of game, you know, the reason he was carded...****** :D

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Holding the ball from a penalty isn't cheating. The ref adds on the same time for every goal scored. If the ref feels that a player is slowing down play he can book them. Nolan had no 'right' to have that ball back. He should have had the same treatment Diaby got.

The second penalty was a terrible call as well.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
That disallowed goal early in the 2nd was absolutely the wrong call. Even with the questionable penalties, it should have been 5-4 Newcastle.

No doubt that was the wrong call on the goal. I'm just saying the bad penalty call sort of evened it out.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Holding the ball from a penalty isn't cheating. The ref adds on the same time for every goal scored. If the ref feels that a player is slowing down play he can book them. Nolan had no 'right' to have that ball back. He should have had the same treatment Diaby got.

And neither did the keeper--why did he grab the ball again? That's delay of game right there. And watch the play again. Nolan barely touched him. The keeper could have gotten a second for flopping, because he fell like a ton of bricks. He was trying to be completely bush league and got called on it. You know as well as I do that it is pretty much standard during an attempted comeback to hurry up and grab the ball after a goal. Yeah, that keeper was simply being a jerk, then tried to lure the ref into booking Nolan. He got what he deserved.

No doubt that was the wrong call on the goal. I'm just saying the bad penalty call sort of evened it out.

Absolutely. That's why I said we deserved the draw but hadn't earned the win.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And neither did the keeper--why did he grab the ball again? That's delay of game right there. And watch the play again. Nolan barely touched him. The keeper could have gotten a second for flopping, because he fell like a ton of bricks. He was trying to be completely bush league and got called on it. You know as well as I do that it is pretty much standard during an attempted comeback to hurry up and grab the ball after a goal. Yeah, that keeper was simply being a jerk, then tried to lure the ref into booking Nolan. He got what he deserved.
Now you're sounding a little silly. Barely touched him?! He got him a lot more than Diaby got Barton. His arm was fully wrapped around the keeper's head. If anything Barton went down far too easily.

It also isn't a delay of game. The ref will add on 30 seconds per goal. If it is taking longer than this to get back to the restart then he can decide if a team is trying to delay the game. I never said that Arsenal had a right to hold on to the ball, neither team does, but Barton and then Nolan were trying to grab the ball. Just because it happens a lot when a team is trying to come back doesn't make any new rule.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Now you're sounding a little silly. Barely touched him?! He got him a lot more than Diaby got Barton. His arm was fully wrapped around the keeper's head. If anything Barton went down far too easily.

It also isn't a delay of game. The ref will add on 30 seconds per goal. If it is taking longer than this to get back to the restart then he can decide if a team is trying to delay the game. I never said that Arsenal had a right to hold on to the ball, neither team does, but Barton and then Nolan were trying to grab the ball. Just because it happens a lot when a team is trying to come back doesn't make any new rule.

For one, you definitely didn't watch it, because Nolan didn't make significant contact with him until the guy started flopping like a fish out of water. Are you just trying to be obstinate?

For another, Barton went down too easily? Really? Because he didn't even know he was going to be touched. He was suckered. The goalie, on the other hand, was looking around trying to get someone in trouble.

Of course they were trying to grab the ball. The keeper HAD NO EFFING RIGHT to take the ball. His only reason for touching it in the first place, for picking it up and then deliberately shielding it, was to waste time. Again, the ref knew what that keeper was up to. Arsenal was acting like a bunch of whiny little children, and the ref wasn't putting up with it.

Arsenal lost a 4-goal lead. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Notice that our guy, who almost got KNOCKED OUT COLD by a knee to the back of the head, didn't even get a foul called for him. It happens. Arsenal made a stupid mistake, and they paid for it by going down to 10 men. That's the story here, aside from how pathetic our defense was early on.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

Thought you were a Leeds fan, but now I can see Arsenal is your true team. Even the self-stated Arsenal fan is calling it a fair draw. Why don't you finish what your sentence SHOULD say? The second penalty was a terrible call as well, but then again, so was the goal they cheated Newcastle out of, so it all evened out.

For some reason you are hell-bent on trying to cry about how Newcastle came back for a draw. Your secret favorite team lost a record lead and ended up having to settle for a draw. DEAL WITH IT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave