THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I love Stevie Mac even more now!

Yeah, but he doesn't limit it to Newcastle, Mulli. He'll do something stupid like that every week, so your grade-school shenanigans mean nothing *neenerneener* See, he'd knock Sunderland...oh wait, you're the fair-weather fan that gave them up, right? Do you even have a team now?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care who he knocks. He calls them like he sees them and is usually spot on as far as I can tell. That's refreshing.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but he doesn't limit it to Newcastle, Mulli. He'll do something stupid like that every week, so your grade-school shenanigans mean nothing *neenerneener* See, he'd knock Sunderland...oh wait, you're the fair-weather fan that gave them up, right? Do you even have a team now?

GooneRs!!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I don't care who he knocks. He calls them like he sees them and is usually spot on as far as I can tell. That's refreshing.

He reminds me of an exchange in Army of Darkness:

Prince Arthur: "Are all men from the future such loud-mouthed braggarts?'

Ash: "Just me baby. Just me."

:D

If he stopped running his yap on stupid stuff--not just abrasive predictions, but useless crap--he has the personality to be a solid announcer. Unfortunately he doesn't, and he isn't. Thankfully I rarely have to listen to him, as most of my games are on FSC.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He reminds me of an exchange in Army of Darkness:

Prince Arthur: "Are all men from the future such loud-mouthed braggarts?'

Ash: "Just me baby. Just me."

:D

If he stopped running his yap on stupid stuff--not just abrasive predictions, but useless crap--he has the personality to be a solid announcer. Unfortunately he doesn't, and he isn't. Thankfully I rarely have to listen to him, as most of my games are on FSC.
It is okay, Stout. Being a Cardsfan has made you sensitive to announcer bias. Not your fault.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Gutted by the result. I was wondering why Captain Colo was so lousy in his defensive duties early on, and the back spasms explain that. Losing your captain, best defender, and central defender and bringing in James 'Suckage' Perch will kill you--Perch went on to give up that big first goal. Of course, having a moron referee refuse to give a red card in a clear-cut red card situation will change things too. We absolutely should have had Chelsea down to 10 men by 5 minutes into the game. No doubt in my mind that the ref didn't give it because it was so early in the game, and the announcers agreed.

To be fair, if you told me before the season that we'd go into this trio of games and we'd get a point, I'd probably have been pleased with that much. Now, though, I'm really upset. We just couldn't find the net, though we kept clanging it off the post. They tacked on a few on the counter at the end, and that was that.

And McManaman wasn't too bad...until he looked at what should have been a penalty--against Terry, I think--and said 'yep, an elbow to the head...just good defense'. Uh, what's that, ********? Ugh lol

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gutted by the result. I was wondering why Captain Colo was so lousy in his defensive duties early on, and the back spasms explain that. Losing your captain, best defender, and central defender and bringing in James 'Suckage' Perch will kill you--Perch went on to give up that big first goal. Of course, having a moron referee refuse to give a red card in a clear-cut red card situation will change things too. We absolutely should have had Chelsea down to 10 men by 5 minutes into the game. No doubt in my mind that the ref didn't give it because it was so early in the game, and the announcers agreed.

To be fair, if you told me before the season that we'd go into this trio of games and we'd get a point, I'd probably have been pleased with that much. Now, though, I'm really upset. We just couldn't find the net, though we kept clanging it off the post. They tacked on a few on the counter at the end, and that was that.

And McManaman wasn't too bad...until he looked at what should have been a penalty--against Terry, I think--and said 'yep, an elbow to the head...just good defense'. Uh, what's that, ********? Ugh lol

First one on Ruiz was DEFINITELY a red card and was a shame it wasn't so. The elbow to the back of the head at the end shouldn't have been a penalty though.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
First one on Ruiz was DEFINITELY a red card and was a shame it wasn't so. The elbow to the back of the head at the end shouldn't have been a penalty though.

No, it shouldn't have been a penalty (the elbow), but it was a stupid comment. It was BAD defense that could have ended up called, if the ref decided to be harsh.

Man, we're in some serious injury trouble. Coloccini may not be able to play (let's hope it's just a thigh strain and not a tear), his partner in central defense, Tayls, is out for the season, and we already had injury problems with our backup central defenders. I have no faith in Perch. Williamson is good, but is still a game away from returning. Santon is going to probably be pressed into service, and Kadar may be as well. Kadar is a young lad that looks likely to do well, but this would be his first first-team action. Thankfully we have some cupcakes coming up, but with our defensive injury concerns, we may not get the results we want anyway. Oh well, nice while it lasted!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it shouldn't have been a penalty (the elbow), but it was a stupid comment. It was BAD defense that could have ended up called, if the ref decided to be harsh.

Man, we're in some serious injury trouble. Coloccini may not be able to play (let's hope it's just a thigh strain and not a tear), his partner in central defense, Tayls, is out for the season, and we already had injury problems with our backup central defenders. I have no faith in Perch. Williamson is good, but is still a game away from returning. Santon is going to probably be pressed into service, and Kadar may be as well. Kadar is a young lad that looks likely to do well, but this would be his first first-team action. Thankfully we have some cupcakes coming up, but with our defensive injury concerns, we may not get the results we want anyway. Oh well, nice while it lasted!

Yeah, no way you can call that a penalty if you don't give a red card in the first 5 minutes.

Very entertaining game. Ba seemed like the only player up front at times with little support.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, no way you can call that a penalty if you don't give a red card in the first 5 minutes.

Very entertaining game. Ba seemed like the only player up front at times with little support.

That's because he WAS the only player up front...literally. We only played one man up front with Ben Arfa just off him. Ben Arfa is a solid playmaker out of the midfield, but we need a second striker up there with Ba. Best was doing a good job until he was injured. It looks like we're picking up Maiga at striker to pair up with Ba, and their games should complement each others'.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because he WAS the only player up front...literally. We only played one man up front with Ben Arfa just off him. Ben Arfa is a solid playmaker out of the midfield, but we need a second striker up there with Ba. Best was doing a good job until he was injured. It looks like we're picking up Maiga at striker to pair up with Ba, and their games should complement each others'.

I realize that you only have one striker up there. Other players in the attacking midfield weren't really attacking is what I was getting at.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WORLD CLASS? Are you on drugs?

He could become a top Premier League striker, but that is yet to be seen. He has had ONE decent Championship season (not spectacular) and a good start to this season. It is a HUGE gamble. I know you must be annoyed that you haven't signed a replacement but you can't turn down that sort of money.

This. Andy Carroll is really iffy. He is the Scot Pollard of the EPL. Quite the lollygagger.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I realize that you only have one striker up there. Other players in the attacking midfield weren't really attacking is what I was getting at.

My bad. Misunderstood you is all. Our midfield is also injury-riddled, and we were missing Guttierez due to a red card as well. Thinking about all of this, the result is far less brutal.

This. Andy Carroll is really iffy. He is the Scot Pollard of the EPL. Quite the lollygagger.

Man, I was wrong on Carroll, and I'm sure glad I was! If he found himself some consistency, he certainly would be. Still, he hasn't found it yet. Looks like we got the better end of that deal.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I was really afraid of this result, and there isn't much that could have been done about it. When your top 3 central defenders are out, you're going to have a rough defensive time of it, especially when playing really big and physical forwards. I know he's been out of favor, but I very much think we should have played Kadar in central defense instead of moving Simpson there. He's a 6'3 physical defender, and we sorely missed having someone strong inside. Pardew was smart enough to know we'd need goals, though, and played us aggressive and unafraid on offense. In fact, we almost leveled at 3 after having gone down to 10 men.

And to make it worse on defense? One of the top defensive midfielders in the Premiership, Tiote, was out again for us. On top of that, his replacement, the solid defensive midfielder Guthrie, was out too. Damn, our top 3 central defenders and our best 2 defensive midfielders were out. OMFG!

Gosling, you had damned well better stop your whinging about not getting a chance, because you appear not to have deserved a chance. Terrible form and a sending off. So much for your Newcastle career!

So, well, we're back down to earth. We probably can't make it to a European spot now, but we can still have a good campaign. Remember, we were marked for a relegation fight before the season.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yarg, that Swansea draw was annoying. Ba was incredible, but just couldn't find the back of the net. We definitely should have had a few goals, but sometimes the woodwork is unkind...and it was unkind twice! Credit where credit is due, though--Swansea played a strong second half and may have snuck a goal in of their own. Wanted the three, but settled for the lone point.

Now, we MUST down WBA today. Come on, lads! It's going to be tough, though. I think we will have Captain Colo and Tiote, but Guthrie is still out to injury, Gosling and Cabaye are out on suspensions, so one of our youngsters will have to shine and we will be without our midfield maestro Cabaye. Abeid or Vuckic will probably get the nod. They're both excellent young players, but the key word there is YOUNG. We shall see.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Great result to get us right back in the thick of a search for European football (lower tiered, of course). I couldn't even think of making a post after the WBA result, but it looks like they're in a fine vein of form, holding Man City to a draw. We had Ben Arfa finally get off the schnide and finally net a goal, and of course Demba Ba scored. Good stuff.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The Liverpool result had me down in the dumps, but suffice to say that today's result has erased the memory! Man, I thought we were going to get screwed by the ref. He was awful early and cheated us of a clear penalty. To be fair, we had benefited from an awful penalty kick call in the other Man U. fixture, so I guess it evened out.

Anyway, Demba Ba was his usual magnificent self. I think that makes 15 goals now for the season. It would have been a few more, but he didn't play well at the start of the season due to the restrictions of Ramadan. Cabaye--fantastic free kick goal. And an embarrassing own goal to finish it off with a clean sheet for Krul. Fabulous result--simply fabulous.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...-demba-ba-available-for-less-than-L7m?cc=5901

Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp has claimed Newcastle United striker Demba Ba's release clause is less than £7 million.

You must be registered for see images
GettyImagesDemba Ba has been in sparkling form for Newcastle this season

Ba, 26, has arguably been the signing of last summer after joining Newcastle on a free transfer from West Ham United and since scoring 15 goals in 19 Premier League matches.
The Senegal international's form has sparked rumours of interest in his signature, with Spurs boss Redknapp credited with being keen to bring him to White Hart Lane.

uh oh

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
It's a good day to be a Magpies fan!

Oh, it is indeed a good day! We've risen to 6th in the table, dead even in points with 5th-placed Arsenal (Thanks, Swans), and now we signed our new #9, Papiss Demba Cisse, to go with his Senegal strike partner, Demba Ba. Oh, this is very good news. Now we just have to keep our fingers crossed that we do well while they're away at the African Nations Cup, and that both come home safe and sound. I never thought they'd make this signing. I guess the news that Sunderland were interested upped the ante!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ba-Cisse-Newcastle-sign-Freiburg-striker.html

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Clint. Dempsey. Thought for sure Fulham were dead in the water.

A tale of two halves indeed. We could have put a bunch in in the first half, but could only finish one. We completely and utterly dominated the first half. Change everything around, and you have the second half, with Fulham finishing their chances. I guess if it had to be anyone getting a hat trick on us, I'd rather it be the American Dempsey.

It's frustrating, too, as everyone important lost or drew, setting us up to move up the table. Oh well. The good news is that no one moved any further out of reach in the table either.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
A tale of two halves indeed. We could have put a bunch in in the first half, but could only finish one. We completely and utterly dominated the first half. Change everything around, and you have the second half, with Fulham finishing their chances. I guess if it had to be anyone getting a hat trick on us, I'd rather it be the American Dempsey.

It's frustrating, too, as everyone important lost or drew, setting us up to move up the table. Oh well. The good news is that no one moved any further out of reach in the table either.

Yeah that was prime time. It was good for Fulham to pull away from the jaws of the relegation line. That game, had it gone the other way, would have put them dangerously close.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard