The Lone Ranger (2013)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody here remember Bill Cosby's routine on the Lone Ranger and Tonto?

I do:

Lone Ranger: Tonto, I want you to go to town...
Tonto: You go to hell, kemosabe.
LR: I need you to get information.
Tonto: Information? Information say 'Tonto no go to town'. Hilarious.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do:

Lone Ranger: Tonto, I want you to go to town...
Tonto: You go to hell, kemosabe.
LR: I need you to get information.
Tonto: Information? Information say 'Tonto no go to town'. Hilarious.

Because every time Tonto went to town, he got the snot beat out of him!

:biglaugh: Funny, funny stuff.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of like Clint O'Connor's review from the Cleveland Plain Dealer: "Everyone seems to want this to be horrible. It's not horrible."

I will see this tomorrow and be my own judge.... ;)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw it this morning. Very enjoyable but verging on odd. Violent. The final 20 minute action sequence was incredible with great cinematography, great stunts, and wonderful music. Depp kept his inner Jack Sparrow under control. (Barely at times.) Hammer managed to keep it un-hammy.

It will be appreciated more by film fans who get all the bits stolen from (and paying homage to) other films. Thumbs up.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it this morning. Very enjoyable but verging on odd. Violent. The final 20 minute action sequence was incredible with great cinematography, great stunts, and wonderful music. Depp kept his inner Jack Sparrow under control. (Barely at times.) Hammer managed to keep it un-hammy.

It will be appreciated more by film fans who get all the bits stolen from (and paying homage to) other films. Thumbs up.

Very well put and I agree, except with more enthusiasm. It was a friggin' hoot! The theater in Wickenburg was pretty much full and there was a lot... and I mean a lot of out-loud laughing. When the lights came up at the end, I saw nothing but smiley faces and heard nothing but excited chattering.

I really like the way it is the origin story as told by Tonto... It worked great! Depp did a marvelous job with the "bubble off plumb" Tonto, the bad guys were very hate-able, and even though I went in thinking I wouldn't like Hammer as the Lone Ranger, the way it was scripted made him just right for the character. It certainly didn't seem like a long movie to me.

Great special effects, great cinematography.

A little hint.... don't get ahead of yourself thinking "oh... THERE'S a big plot hole..." Things get answered in a little different way. "

For it's genre - 5 out of 5 stars. As a movie among all other movies - a good 4+ out of 5 stars. :thumbup:

...and FWIW, the critics can bite my bony arse.... They're just flat wrong on this movie.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very well put and I agree, except with more enthusiasm. It was a friggin' hoot! The theater in Wickenburg was pretty much full and there was a lot... and I mean a lot of out-loud laughing. When the lights came up at the end, I saw nothing but smiley faces and heard nothing but excited chattering.

Seeing it at 9:30 in the morning in a 1/3 full theater didn't help the total viewing experience.

One of the best times I ever had seeing a movie was in a theater full of cowboys up in Payson watching the Duke Wayne "True Grit". People cheered and there was a standing O at the end. That's the way to see a movie. Glad you got to see it with a great crowd. :thumbup:

(I especially liked how they lengthened the William Tell Overture to fill the final action scene. It was perfect. Whomever did the arrangement is a genius. That 20 minute sequence, which could be made into an old-fashioned Saturday short, was fan-tas-tic!)

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(I especially liked how they lengthened the William Tell Overture to fill the final action scene. It was perfect. Whomever did the arrangement is a genius. That 20 minute sequence, which could be made into an old-fashioned Saturday short, was fan-tas-tic!)

Could not agree more. The hi-yo Silver moment at the end was perfect for this movie!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I fell asleep during the movie. Not one single thing caught my attention

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the last twenty minutes were GREAT. the first 120 minutes...not so much.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Nearly 70% of the viewing public liked it. I'm one of those. ;)

This is another interesting disconnect between the critics, and the viewing public; it's Rotten Tomatoes critic score is 25% while it's viewer rating is 68%.

I would always expect the viewer rating to be higher, since those are from people that wanted to see it and paid for a ticket, but that's still an extremely large spread in general opinion.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
In saying it bombed, I'm talking about at the box office. Disney's going to take a massive hit in the pocketbook because of it. I haven't seen it myself, so I can't judge, but it did look awful in the trailers. Some people have liked it, making me mildly curious, but a bad preview added to the long length...eh, I don't know.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In saying it bombed, I'm talking about at the box office. Disney's going to take a massive hit in the pocketbook because of it. I haven't seen it myself, so I can't judge, but it did look awful in the trailers. Some people have liked it, making me mildly curious, but a bad preview added to the long length...eh, I don't know.

I think the "pre-press" on the movie killed any chance of it being a big hit, and as a result it isn't doing very well at the box office (plus it opened against "Despicable Me II" which took in all the kids+parents).

Catch it on a matinee. Forget about Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels version. This is something very different. Lots of comedic moments and a lot of good fun. Popcornius Maximus, for sure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nearly 70% of the viewing public liked it. I'm one of those. ;)

think about that number in grade school terms...that's a C-. Aint good.

I think the issue with the movie was that it was trying to be all things for all people and thus the tone was all over the place. Goofy at times, really dark and violent at others. And making the Lone Ranger and Tonto kinda doofuses throughout the first two acts of the movie probably didn't help matters.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the issue with the movie was that it was trying to be all things for all people and thus the tone was all over the place. Goofy at times, really dark and violent at others. And making the Lone Ranger and Tonto kinda doofuses throughout the first two acts of the movie probably didn't help matters.

On the other hand, some very, very good movies have fared worse. And critic wise, 60% gets you a fresh tomato.

And the "doofus" factor is part of what made it fun for me. :shrug"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, some very, very good movies have fared worse. And critic wise, 60% gets you a fresh tomato.

And the "doofus" factor is part of what made it fun for me. :shrug"

i didn't mind it all that much, but my father and brother HATED that part of it.

and I can't think of many other "very, very good movies" that got audience scores of 70% or a B- from Cinemascore. A B- is a really bad score from that source, which you have to look at on a curve with what other movies have gotten.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the "pre-press" on the movie killed any chance of it being a big hit, and as a result it isn't doing very well at the box office (plus it opened against "Despicable Me II" which took in all the kids+parents).

not sure you can attribute "pre-press" to killing it's chances to be a hit. WWZ got MUCH worse press and is a pretty big hit.

I think the reason it's not doing well is a) it's marketing was pretty terrible...indicative of the movie overall. It looked like a movie that didn't know what it was and that's the movie I saw on screen and b) I think people are a little tired of Johnny Depp playing this role. Dark Shadows bombed last year and Pirates 4 took in about 100 million less domestic then the last version c) The Lone Ranger as an IP, just doesn't have much sway anymore.

but truthfully, I think its because the trailers were really terrible. They didn't juice me at all. Only reason I saw it is because my Dad was super-geeked to see it and I knew if I didn't see it with him, no one would.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In saying it bombed, I'm talking about at the box office. Disney's going to take a massive hit in the pocketbook because of it.

They likely aren't too concerned with Star Wars VII expected to bring in $1.2 billion plus worldwide.

On top of that they have the second films for Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers coming down the road. Add in The Wolverine, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and other Marvel films...

I am sure that they are disappointed, but I doubt they are hurting much. :)

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just recently found out that this movie existed.. When I saw the trailor or whatever it was, I couldn't believe that it was made.. Looks horrible.. I mean, really really awful..

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

That is exactly how I described it to my wife. I think my exact words were "The movie didn't know what it wanted to be."

Scenes of pure violence, and then goofball. The Lone Ranger goes from being a pacifist who won't touch a gun, to pulling off a 100 yd shot while mounted at a moving target.

Overall it just sucked, and the box office is proving it.

Johnny Depp playing Tonto/Jack Sparrow was just dumb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard