The Lone Ranger (2013)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
how the hell a western's budget sky-rocketed to 250 million dollars is beyond me. you've got guys on horses and sparse sets. stupid. too bad... Armie Hammer and Depp would have made a pretty interesting duo as The Long Ranger and Tonto.
As interesting as anyone in that combo could be I guess.

I am not sorry this move won't be made.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how the hell a western's budget sky-rocketed to 250 million dollars is beyond me. you've got guys on horses and sparse sets. stupid. too bad... Armie Hammer and Depp would have made a pretty interesting duo as The Long Ranger and Tonto.

I was saying the exact same thing. Where the heck were they shooting this film? Makes you think that this film might have been to over the top and they would have put all this modern like crap in you know was not possible during that time. Either that or they were using record setting extras with insane sets.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Had they casted Carlotta Sales?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was saying the exact same thing. Where the heck were they shooting this film? Makes you think that this film might have been to over the top and they would have put all this modern like crap in you know was not possible during that time. Either that or they were using record setting extras with insane sets.

found out the reason... and hold on to your hats Rangers... WEREWOLVES.

Yup... you read that right. there were going to be werewolves in this movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
found out the reason... and hold on to your hats Rangers... WEREWOLVES.

Yup... you read that right. there were going to be werewolves in this movie.

So....tons of CGI. Glad this film never made it out. If I go to see a Lone Ranger movie I don't want freaking werewolves. Stupid.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So....tons of CGI. Glad this film never made it out. If I go to see a Lone Ranger movie I don't want freaking werewolves. Stupid.

I'm surprised you feel that way. I feel the same way but I also felt the same when they added all that supernatural crap to a pirate movie (or a series of pirate movies). Obviously, it made a lot of money and I can easily see them expecting werewolves to go over just as big in a Lone Ranger western.

Steve

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lone Ranger + silver bullets = X

Solve for X.

X = werewolves

Duh. :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you feel that way. I feel the same way but I also felt the same when they added all that supernatural crap to a pirate movie (or a series of pirate movies). Obviously, it made a lot of money and I can easily see them expecting werewolves to go over just as big in a Lone Ranger western.

Steve

Huge difference. POTC is based on a fantasy ride so I expected fantasy elements. Lone Ranger is based on the original stories that had no fantasy elements and was a good old fashion Western.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Huge difference. POTC is based on a fantasy ride so I expected fantasy elements. Lone Ranger is based on the original stories that had no fantasy elements and was a good old fashion Western.

Peter Pan is a fantasy. The Pirates of the Caribbean was an adventure ride.

There was no element of the supernatural or fantasy until they started putting them in the movies.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was no element of the supernatural or fantasy until they started putting them in the movies.
You seem to care a lot about this.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the old school POTC ride at Disneyland growing up. We lived in So. Cal. so I got to go on it a lot.

Now, the ride has Johnny Depp's character in it. Just makes me nostalgic is all.

I have never gone on it since they changed the pirate chasing after a woman to a pirate chasing after a woman with a tray of food. When the PC police got involved it was no longer the ride of my youth. Bleh.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Adventure is pretty broad. The movies are adventure movies with fantasy elements. Also the ride also had fantasy elements (talking pirate skull), skeleton drinking wine and skeleton on the wheel. Yes very small elements but fantasy elements just the same.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out all the animosity for this film.....that hasn't even been viewed yet. I grew up on TLR and am looking forward to it all.... particularly the updated Tonto. It looks like it is going to be an action packed special effects extravaganza that has a fair amount of eye-winking humor to it. The trailers look solid, IMHO.

Can't wait.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what to expect from this film. If it's anywhere close to the original Pirates in terms of just fun I would be happy. I am definitely not expecting this to be a story rich movie by any stretch.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out all the animosity for this film.....that hasn't even been viewed yet. I grew up on TLR and am looking forward to it all.... particularly the updated Tonto. It looks like it is going to be an action packed special effects extravaganza that has a fair amount of eye-winking humor to it. The trailers look solid, IMHO.

Can't wait.

Johnny Depp acting in face paint yet again--as an Indian no less (can't we find a frickin' Native American to play Tonto?). It looks incredibly cheesy, which would be fine, but in other parts of trailers it looks like it will try to be dark and mysterious, which will work as well as a led balloon given the tone of the movie. It just looks awefu.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it will be entertaining. I really don't care. I am already enjoying the LEGO sets from the film. :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back from an advance screening. Wife and I really liked it.

It was really cool - Sheriff Joe was there tonight and so were a lot of other officers. Before the movie they singled out an officer for exemplary service and gave him a special "Lone Ranger" award from Disney. Then Armie Hammer (who plays The Lone Ranger) even had a special thank you to police officers before the film started.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Release Date: July 3, 2013
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Gore Verbinski
Screenwriter: Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, Justin Haythe
Genre: Action, Adventure
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of intense action and violence, and some suggestive material)

Starring: Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, Tom Wilkinson, William Fichtner, Barry Pepper, James Badge Dale, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter

Plot Summary: From producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski, the filmmaking team behind the blockbuster "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise, comes Disney/Jerry Bruckheimer Films' "The Lone Ranger," a thrilling adventure infused with action and humor, in which the famed masked hero is brought to life through new eyes. Native American spirit warrior Tonto (Johnny Depp) recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid (Armie Hammer), a man of the law, into a legend of justice—taking the audience on a runaway train of epic surprises and humorous friction as the two unlikely heroes must learn to work together and fight against greed and corruption.

You must be registered for see images attach

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Want to see it. Not much of a Johnny Depp fan but he is a good actor though. Hope it does the original show justice.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody here remember Bill Cosby's routine on the Lone Ranger and Tonto?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard