Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elliott and Rossio to Pen The Lone Ranger
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
March 28, 2008

Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, best known for their work on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, are in final negotiations to write a live-action big-screen adaptation of The Lone Ranger for Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

The Hollywood Reporter says the project will be made by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films in association with Entertainment Rights.

"Ranger," owned by Classic Media, began life as a 1930s radio show. Its popularity led to movie serials, TV shows, comic strips and comic books, toys, novels and more.

The hero's origin story begins with a group of Texas Rangers chasing down a gang of outlaws led by Butch Cavendish. The gang ambushes the Rangers, seemingly killing them all. One survivor is found, however, by an American Indian named Tonto, who nurses him back to health. The Ranger, donning a mask and riding a white stallion named Silver, teams up with Tonto to bring the unscrupulous gang and others of that ilk to justice.

-------------------------------------------------------

Can't believe the article left out any mention of the 1981 film: The Legend of the Lone Ranger :D

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It could be cool....but I'm guessing that it will be lame.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This only passes the Hollywood PC test if the Lone Ranger is played by Adam Beach.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casting update:

Johnny Depp as ... Tonto

(seriously)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What no "Native Americans" available? Puh-leeze no Johhny Depp as Tonto.

que sería tonto.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently blackface is still in.

...Easy fix, Tonto was found by "Insert Tribe Here" and raised as one of their own.
Ah yes. Owen Wilson as Tonto, look for it at theatre near you.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes. Owen Wilson as Tonto, look for it at theatre near you.
LOL. That gave me an idea: Owen Wilson as the Lone Ranger and Luke Wilson as Tonto. Directed by Wes Anderson and with Bill Murray as the local town sherriff.

I'm calling Hollywood right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Depp as Tonto?

No offense dodie, but I wonder why you always post stuff like this. 3 words, and basically an empty question, since 8 posts earlier, your question was already answered. I wonder what you are hoping to find out.

That said, I have only one word for this: STUPID.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sun (England's semi-tabloid newspaper) is claiming that The Lone Ranger will be played by George Clooney.

An insider said last night: “George is very keen — he’s been trying to do a movie with Johnny for a long time. He thinks they’ll make the perfect on-screen partnership."

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Film School Rejects, Gore Verbinski has been confirmed as director. Johnny Depp will still play Tonto, the film will likely hit theaters in 2012. The rest is to be determined.

Clooney was once rumored to be the Ranger, but nothing is concrete.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This only passes the Hollywood PC test if the Lone Ranger is played by Adam Beach.

That's because the way the character of Tonto as originally presented is racist and offensive. He's basically the lone rangers servant in the old shows and the name "Tonto" means "Stupid" in spanish. Not to mention how tonto spoke in the old radio shows with the pidgin English "How" "Heap big wompum". In other words, he was written for a 1940's audience who thought that's how all native americans looked and talked. Nothing wrong with updating it with a little less ignorance.

They are going to have to do a major overhaul to that character for any of the tribes to get on board with this movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how the hell a western's budget sky-rocketed to 250 million dollars is beyond me. you've got guys on horses and sparse sets. stupid. too bad... Armie Hammer and Depp would have made a pretty interesting duo as The Long Ranger and Tonto.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson