The Illegal Touching Call

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too bad this wiped out a brilliant scramble and throw by Murray. I know it's pre-season but Johnson has to have better field presence than that. It wasn't like someone forced him out. There was no one near him. I'll chalk it up to a rookie mistake but he's got to know where he is on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too bad this wiped out a brilliant scramble and throw by Murray. I know it's pre-season but Johnson has to have better field presence than that. It wasn't like someone forced him out. There was no one near him. I'll chalk it up to a rookie mistake but he's got to know where he is on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one can argue that it was a rookie mistake & I'm sure he received some crap about it. It killed the drive & denied K1 a 7/7 start. If that play stands, Murray may have taken the drive the distance & gone 12/12. Those that took the time to study K1 before the draft shouldn't be surprised by what we saw last night. Granted, it was preseason, but K1 can throw any pass on the field, he can laser the ball or put touch on it, and his accuracy is outstanding. He sees the entire field & shows the cool of a 10 year veteran. Now, the OL scares the hell out of me & will need to be addressed in a big way during next years draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was one of those plays you see quite a bit in basketball where guys are angling for a 3 pointer and step back and out of bounds. I think he was fine until he realized Murray was scrambling and when he tried to help out by moving to an open spot, he stepped back with the one foot to get leverage to turn, and that foot hit out of bounds. Rookie mistake with a caveat, at least he was aware enough to be trying to help Murray on the play.

What impressed me on that play was how easily Kyler got around the unblocked guy. It was the same guy IIRC that got the sack 2 plays later, he was almost totally unblocked and had a beeline to Kyler, and Kyler still got around him, that impressed me.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was one of those plays you see quite a bit in basketball where guys are angling for a 3 pointer and step back and out of bounds. I think he was fine until he realized Murray was scrambling and when he tried to help out by moving to an open spot, he stepped back with the one foot to get leverage to turn, and that foot hit out of bounds. Rookie mistake with a caveat, at least he was aware enough to be trying to help Murray on the play.

What impressed me on that play was how easily Kyler got around the unblocked guy. It was the same guy IIRC that got the sack 2 plays later, he was almost totally unblocked and had a beeline to Kyler, and Kyler still got around him, that impressed me.

K1 won't escape every unblocked rusher, and we saw that 2 plays later on his blindside. Until this OL is rebuilt, K1 will need to do that often if this offense is going to succeed this season. Exactly the type of play that justified why the Cardinals chose K1 over Rosen. Rosen made almost no one miss last year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
K1 won't escape every unblocked rusher, and we saw that 2 plays later on his blindside. Until this OL is rebuilt, K1 will need to do that often if this offense is going to succeed this season. Exactly the type of play that justified why the Cardinals chose K1 over Rosen. Rosen made almost no one miss last year.
That and Rosen really stuggles with pressure. When you have a poor offensive line you have to be able to make quick reads, get the ball out quickly and be effective throwing under pressure. Warner with the Cards is a good example as we had some very poor lines when he was here, but he did those 3 things very well so he was able to still be wildly successful.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That and Rosen really stuggles with pressure. When you have a poor offensive line you have to be able to make quick reads, get the ball out quickly and be effective throwing under pressure. Warner with the Cards is a good example as we had some very poor lines when he was here, but he did those 3 things very well so he was able to still be wildly successful.

Comparing a rookie to Warner when he was here? Kurt was 33-34 years old when we got him of course he was better at making quick reads and getting the ball out he'd been in an offense under Martz that required that. No problem agreeing Rosen strugged with pressure last year, but expecting him to be even close to what Warner was, as a rookie, is a bit far fetched.

I saw his highlights last night, another pick where he didn't see a LB but nearly 200 yards and 3 scoring drives. Looked like he's improved some, made a couple of those throws that explain why everyone was so high on him coming into UCLA and at UCLA. 2 passes to #82 that you just can't teach a deep ball with touch that was put where only his man could make the catch(and he made a great one) and a perfect back shoulder sideline strike where 82 made a toe tap catch. You see plays like that you understand why people like Rosen, it's the consistency and other things he has to get better at. The big concerns I had here were not getting better as the season went on, and all the high throws and backfoot throws which I think were largely a function of playing with such a terrible OL. Hopefully Kyler doesn't have that same issue

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two points. The oline looked fine when Kyler was in except for the last play where both tackles got off late for whatever reason.

What I was really impressed with was the play design even in a vanilla plan. Silly huh? No. Just about every play in our first drive Kyler had his choice of 2 and sometimes 3 open receivers. It appears we will have a wr on a short crossing route on just about every play. It’s almost like a safety valve that Kyler can use any time he needs it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Very few QBs get away from that sack. I'm not even sure Wilson could have.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Comparing a rookie to Warner when he was here? Kurt was 33-34 years old when we got him of course he was better at making quick reads and getting the ball out he'd been in an offense under Martz that required that. No problem agreeing Rosen strugged with pressure last year, but expecting him to be even close to what Warner was, as a rookie, is a bit far fetched.

I saw his highlights last night, another pick where he didn't see a LB but nearly 200 yards and 3 scoring drives. Looked like he's improved some, made a couple of those throws that explain why everyone was so high on him coming into UCLA and at UCLA. 2 passes to #82 that you just can't teach a deep ball with touch that was put where only his man could make the catch(and he made a great one) and a perfect back shoulder sideline strike where 82 made a toe tap catch. You see plays like that you understand why people like Rosen, it's the consistency and other things he has to get better at. The big concerns I had here were not getting better as the season went on, and all the high throws and backfoot throws which I think were largely a function of playing with such a terrible OL. Hopefully Kyler doesn't have that same issue
Not comparing him to Warner, but am just pointing out what you have to do to be successful with a bad O-line. Since Rosen doesn't have the ability to escape the pocket he would essentially have to be Warner esque in order to be able to succeed with this O-line. Also QBs don't always improve against pressure over time.

Murray was very good against pressure in college and clearly has the ability to escape pressure with his feet and that makes him much more likely to succeed with this O-line than Rosen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said the same thing last night. Kyler will buy us 7 or 8 more first downs every game. He will extend plays, extend drives and at worst flip field position.

Certainly what I hope and the other thing I liked there is when he got away, he was looking downfield and found Johnson. I want him to run yes but I want him to run like Aaron Rodgers runs, or Wilson, get a key first down, take a big play when it's there. But mostly get down or out of bounds to avoid hits, and scramble with the idea of passing, so far I like what I see.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What I heard on the TV this morning (either sports center or Golic and Wingo) was what some of the reasons (?) people on here gave for K 1 being so good in college - - his receivers were always wide open.

I didn't pay attention during the game myself, but, if that is so, then is that a product of K2's system or are the receivers that good?

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I did hear early on in the broadcast that the Chargers were playing zone, which seems like it would make it easier to hit those intermediate passes.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Johnson needs better awareness of where the sideline is but that route that he ran on that play was a thing of beauty. I'm not concerned at all with Johnson and I'm sure he will learn from this mistake.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I heard on the TV this morning (either sports center or Golic and Wingo) was what some of the reasons (?) people on here gave for K 1 being so good in college - - his receivers were always wide open.

I didn't pay attention during the game myself, but, if that is so, then is that a product of K2's system or are the receivers that good?
Ryan Clark mentioned on First Take that this was game one against a vanilla base defense and that defenses will take away the outside and force him to throw into the middle of the field. People are raving about Murray technically going 7-7 but those were quick hits to the outside. I am not worried about him being contained in the pocket because he is going to get flushed out of the pocket often because this OL as a whole are turnstiles. If they take away the outside and flush him out of the pocket he is going to have to complete those passes in the middle of the field or he is not going to be effective.