Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Flash (CW)

The CW's 'Flash' Casts Original Barry Allen in Mysterious Role

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/flash-john-wesley-shipp-joins-679594

The CW's The Flash has snagged Dawson's Creek star John Wesley Shipp, who played The Flash in the early 1990s CBS television series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Shipp will guest star in the pilot playing a mysterious character. Details for his character are being kept close to the vest. If the proposed Arrow spinoff receives a series order, his role would expand to recurring status.

Grant Gustin stars as Barry Allen/The Flash in The CW pilot, which serves as an origin story similar in vein to Arrow. Barry -- introduced in Arrow's two-part winter finale in December -- is a Central City assistant police forensic investigator who visits Starling City to look into a series of unexplained robberies that may have a connection to a tragedy in his past. Through a freak accident, he is given the power of super speed that transforms him into the fastest man alive.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the 90s Flash series wasn't spectacular but I still loved it. I had a crush on Amanda Pays. By the way Alex Desert who was also on the show still pretty much looks the same when sporting his dreads. Cool to see they are putting in John Wesley Shipp who played the title character in the series.

Can't wait to see this take. If it's anywhere near as good as Arrow.....I am game.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 90's show wasn't given a chance to succeed. It's almost like the producers at CBS wanted it to fail putting it up against NBC's Must See Thursday lineup then doing something completely stupid like giving it an 8:30pm-9:30pm time slot. As for the show, it wasn't bad. It was quite good actually. Mark Hamil played the Trickster in an episode.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Flash was, by far, my favorite comic, but I can give you a normative reason why. Looking forward to this. Enjoy the Arrow, also for reasons I can't explain.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dudes chin is going to be raw after hours of filming. Hopefully, they have that thing padded on the inside.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
With all due respect, when it comes to entertainment, you are the most cynical person I've ever known.

Nah, not really. I generally don't comment a lot on stuff I like in general, because it feels a lot like just agreeing with everything. I just picked up Bates Motel last week and freaking gobbled up season one in three days, with a busy as hell life.

That is pretty off base, especially now.

Really? Every show except for Supernatural I've checked out has had that vibe. I never tried Vampire Diaries, but I'd like to see an argument against that. Arrow was horrific and had that vibe (yeah, a million people said 'but in Season 2!'--don't care). I couldn't even finish the premier of, what was it? Reign? Blech!

Sorry, but the CW jut doesn't much hit my tastes, Supernatural being the exception. Even that certainly has a good helping of that vibe.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Arrow is awesome.

My wife loves Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

Seriously though..... Arrow is a great hour of fun TV.

Stout

Reaction score
Arrow is awesome.

My wife loves Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

Seriously though..... Arrow is a great hour of fun TV.

See, with Arrow, I've been told that yes, season 1 really sucks, but if you can get through a few episodes, it gets a little better. Then they basically wiped the slate clean for season 2, and it's now really good. This is the sell I've been given by a few people I know who like it.

Arrow is pretty damn good IMO.

I watched the pilot and the next episode, and couldn't stand it. Seems like it's gotten more popular/better as it's gone longer, as listed above. I've just been burned already by the show.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the pilot and the next episode, and couldn't stand it. Seems like it's gotten more popular/better as it's gone longer, as listed above. I've just been burned already by the show.
:mulli:

To be honest the shows start didn't hit it out of the ballpark for sure. It seemed to be dancing around a bit trying to show back story on all the characters. However, it's gotten "gritty" IMO and continued to get better as it went along.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I watch Arrow a little too religiously. If I were going to give Season 2 a truth-in-advertising title, I'd call it ... Days of our Green Arrow: CSI. The family drama is right out of a daytime soap. (I'm quietly hoping Mother and Daughter Queen get killed off). Characters are cardboard-thin. For a show that boasted of a comic series without the supernatural or sci-fi, it's embraced TV pseudo-science mumbo jumbo in ways that would make a Star Trek writer blush.

But ... so what. I get my tortured hero catharsis every week. It's reliable in that way, like the way serial TV was in the 70s. I kind of enjoy the back story. I can't wait for more reveal on their take on Ra's Al Ghul. They don't even pretend to make morality ambiguous for the good guys or bad guys, and it's kind of refreshing.

I'll be tuning in for Flash because I like Arrow, but I'm curious how much I'll enjoy this much shallow drama each week. Also, I have a sweet little crush on Felicity.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Well, I watch Arrow a little too religiously. If I were going to give Season 2 a truth-in-advertising title, I'd call it ... Days of our Green Arrow: CSI. The family drama is right out of a daytime soap. (I'm quietly hoping Mother and Daughter Queen get killed off). Characters are cardboard-thin. For a show that boasted of a comic series without the supernatural or sci-fi, it's embraced TV pseudo-science mumbo jumbo in ways that would make a Star Trek writer blush.

But ... so what. I get my tortured hero catharsis every week. It's reliable in that way, like the way serial TV was in the 70s. I kind of enjoy the back story. I can't wait for more reveal on their take on Ra's Al Ghul. They don't even pretend to make morality ambiguous for the good guys or bad guys, and it's kind of refreshing.

I'll be tuning in for Flash because I like Arrow, but I'm curious how much I'll enjoy this much shallow drama each week. Also, I have a sweet little crush on Felicity.

See, that's cool. It's cheesy and hokey and you don't give a damn because that's why you like it. I just picked up Invader Zim on DVD, which is the same. It's a fun fix. I do appreciate your honesty too, because now I can stop people trying to tell me how it's great television. It's exactly what I thought it was.

You must be registered for see images attach

OMG, this looks so EPIC FAIL!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

No doubt these new shows lean on the side of teenage melodrama but I don't consider that "cheesy" like the really really bad hero shows from 70's and 80's. I will take these any day of the week over some of those horrid attempts. Even the campy 70's Batman was god awful no matter what fondness I have of it nostalgically. There is a huge difference IMO. Plus now factor in when they do get away from all that, they do a good job...that is was keeps me hooked. I can put up with the melodrama as long as meat of the show (hero stuff) is good.

If the show was truly ultra camp or cheesy, I would tune out immediately.

Also, Felicity?!?!? Nerds paradise. She is seriously hot.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the suit is a little suspect. However, i just read an article that stated if you look at pieces of the costume, the character was supposed to be inspired by the Arrow. Hence some of the design choices.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See, that's cool. It's cheesy and hokey and you don't give a damn because that's why you like it. I just picked up Invader Zim on DVD, which is the same. It's a fun fix. I do appreciate your honesty too, because now I can stop people trying to tell me how it's great television. It's exactly what I thought it was.

OMG, this looks so EPIC FAIL!

Why is he wearing Dare Devil's outfit. Not to mention he's got twigs for legs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that outfit really does look ridiculous.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt these new shows lean on the side of teenage melodrama but I don't consider that "cheesy" like the really really bad hero shows from 70's and 80's. I will take these any day of the week over some of those horrid attempts. Even the campy 70's Batman was god awful no matter what fondness I have of it nostalgically. There is a huge difference IMO. Plus now factor in when they do get away from all that, they do a good job...that is was keeps me hooked. I can put up with the melodrama as long as meat of the show (hero stuff) is good.

If the show was truly ultra camp or cheesy, I would tune out immediately.

Also, Felicity?!?!? Nerds paradise. She is seriously hot.

I was thinking more along the lines of The Incredible Hulk, which had better lead actor than Green Arrow, and embraced the whole two-sided coin of alienation and heroism. What it lacked in an expanding universe, it made up for in a regular theme. I think that's the strength of Green Arrow. Both shows made their heroes absolutely morally perfect (or near perfect). Arrow suffers from just as much of that as Hulk, but it still works.