Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ruby Rose's Batwoman gets CW pilot order with Game of Thrones director

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/03/batwoman-pilot-game-of-thrones/

You must be registered for see images attach

The CW’s Batwoman project is going to the next level — and a big name from Game of Thrones is getting on board.

The network has given a pilot pickup order to Batwoman, starring Ruby Rose, who first appeared as the character in the network’s DC crossover event last month.

Emmy-winning director David Nutter will helm the pilot. Nutter is best known for his work on Thrones, where he helmed episodes such as “The Rains of Castamere” (a.k.a. The Red Wedding episode) and has multiple episodes coming up in the show’s final season. Nutter is also know around Hollywood as “the pilot whisperer” as he’s credited with directing numerous successful pilots that were eventually picked up to series.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game of Thrones director huh? Interesting.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hair coming up out of the cowl looks ridiculous.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't overthink it, people.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

That's how she has always been presented in the comics and animation:

You must be registered for see images

It's part of her disguise: The hair is a wig and hides her real hair.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Only really read the major DC comics heroes way back when. (Bats, Supes, Lantern and Flash)

I still think it looks ridiculous in the above screen shot.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I still think it looks ridiculous in the above screen shot.

It's hard to show the same flow of her hair that she has in print and animation. In a high budget movie, you can probably CGI it, but for these shows, you can only do coiffed wigs.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to show the same flow of her hair that she has in print and animation. In a high budget movie, you can probably CGI it, but for these shows, you can only do coiffed wigs.

The pic you posted actually looks pretty cool. Obviously much easier to achieve in animation than in live action.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working with the director for this on another project. hoping it kicks all kinds of ass because that would be helpful for me moving forward.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will bite. I like the DC TV shows for what they are. This one looks like it could be interesting and fun. Curious to see if this is the same “Earth” that was visited by all the other characters during last seasons crossover where they introduced her. The reason being is that in that episode she was already established as Batwoman.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Batwoman and Batgirl?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
What's the difference between Batwoman and Batgirl?

Here's a good overview on both:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There actually is a reason for the name- it’s because Batwoman and Batgirl are actually completely different characters.

Batwoman debuted first, but was a rather silly character. She never had her own story and mostly served as a love interest to Batman. She proved to be unpopular and the character was scrapped for the most part.

The title of Batwoman was brought out of retirement in 2006. There are two main Batwomen, Kate and Kathy Kane. Despite the names, the characters are not the same. Kathy Kane is the original Batwoman. She has been reimagined a number of times over the years, but is generally portrayed as a wealthy heiress with ties to the circus who is a love interest for Batman.

Kate Kane is the current Batwoman. While this Batwoman is also a wealthy heiress, she most certainly is not a love interest for Batman. Kate is a lesbian and a former West Point Cadet.

It's not mentioned in my link, but Kate's father (in the comics) is also an Army officer whose rank depends on what time in his career he's presented at and what medium. He's been a Colonel to a General.

In the CW version, it looks like Kate is going to be Bruce's cousin instead of unrelated and her father is going to be Bruce's brother. At least gleaning from the previews I've seen so far.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Batwoman doesn't wear a cowl. She wears kind of a mask with pointy ends to it.
Don't overthink it, people.

Batwoman and Batgirl are 2 different people. Batwoman is Kate Kane while Batgirl was several different women most notably Barbara Gordon but also Cassandra Cain, Helena Bartinelli(The Huntress), and Stephanie Brown.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batwoman doesn't wear a cowl. She wears kind of a mask with pointy ends to it.

Batwoman and Batgirl are 2 different people. Batwoman is Kate Kane while Batgirl was several different women most notably Barbara Gordon but also Cassandra Cain, Helena Bartinelli(The Huntress), and Stephanie Brown.

Thanks. Carrrnuttt enlightened me a while ago. I'll admit the lady bat comics are not in my wheelhouse.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am willing to check it out but honestly I would have loved to see Batgirl instead of Batwoman. Only because the story arc for Barbara Gordon is pretty epic. They barely touched on it during a short lived series called Birds of Prey. Her story arc is pretty long in that eventually she becomes Oracle.

I wonder if the failed start and stop of the Batgirl movie had anything to do with this which I am sure took years to get to the screen. I would imagine the studio didn't want TV to touch Batgirl if the prevailing thought was that there was going to be a movie about it.

Although I think the average fan would have been totally confused.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave