The Batman (2022)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Casual fans didn't have to worry about multiple iterations of Aquaman or even follow any of the other properties for that matter. I think the standalones for DC is the best way to go because it is such a mess to follow. That ship has sailed. Batman is one of the most beloved characters in the entire universe so I expect those films to have some success with the casual crowd no matter what. My point wasn't that the mess would prevent people from going to see a popular character only that even casual fans can see what mess the verse is.

In terms of Justice League which version? The original lost the studio around 60 million (750 million break even, grossed only $657 million with foreign box office). The new version of Just League excited the fan boys but didn't turn into a massive number of permanent subscriptions that HBO thought it would.
I mean the DCEU was supposed to start with Superman and was going to really take off with Justice League. Then the Snyder stuff happened, and no one is really talking about why Warner canned Snyders vision. My personal view is most of the haters of Justice League are just Marvel's fan boys.

I grew up a Marvel fan boy who has started to like DC properties more as I grow older. It seems more adult to Marvel's PG-13 take.

The DC universe is a mess now though. Warner Brothers should be firing multiple executives over it and the handling of Justice League and the way that major Actors were treated.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which is why I hope it never happens. I don't think he could keep it from drifting further into comic book territory in any believably organic way. Especially, now that they linked Bruce Wayne and him together at the end. I mean they basically completed a Joker origin story. Does anybody really care what happens to the Joker before Batman comes to be? I know I don't. What could there possibly be? He does more bad stuff? He cracks some more? Meh...OK.
I did. The Joker in my opinion was a top three comic book movie. It wasn't like the Michael Bay-ish Marvel movies. It was an actual good movie even if it wasn't associated with comic book properties.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I mean the DCEU was supposed to start with Superman and was going to really take off with Justice League. Then the Snyder stuff happened, and no one is really talking about why Warner canned Snyders vision. My personal view is most of the haters of Justice League are just Marvel's fan boys.

I grew up a Marvel fan boy who has started to like DC properties more as I grow older. It seems more adult to Marvel's PG-13 take.

The DC universe is a mess now though. Warner Brothers should be firing multiple executives over it and the handling of Justice League and the way that major Actors were treated.
Well, that and Justice League isn't a good movie (and Zach Snyder a poor director), regardless of the version.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you mean nobody is sure why the studio canned Snyder's vision? Batman vs Superman wasn't the mega hit they wanted, the studio wasn't happy with Snyder's cut of Justice League and then the original version lost 60 million. I know people want to dump on Joss but after watching the Snyder cut most of that movie was still Snyder. The new cut wasn't that good either. Better but far from great. Had some really bad moments. It wasn't great.

For the record I was a DC fan boy my entire life. Outside of Spiderman and some X-men I didn't really care about Marvel. Marvel has hit is so far out of the park while DC has had pockets of success but lacked any kind of cohesive vision. It's not just a mess now. It has been a consistent mess with all the disjointed properties.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never read either comics so I wasn’t a fanboy. Bat v. Superman and the Whedon Justice League were just flat out terrible movies.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What do you mean nobody is sure why the studio canned Snyder's vision? Batman vs Superman wasn't the mega hit they wanted, the studio wasn't happy with Snyder's cut of Justice League and then the original version lost 60 million. I know people want to dump on Joss but after watching the Snyder cut most of that movie was still Snyder. The new cut wasn't that good either. Better but far from great. Had some really bad moments. It wasn't great.

For the record I was a DC fan boy my entire life. Outside of Spiderman and some X-men I didn't really care about Marvel. Marvel has hit is so far out of the park while DC has had pockets of success but lacked any kind of cohesive vision. It's not just a mess now. It has been a consistent mess with all the disjointed properties.
Right most of it was Snyder and Whedon inexplicably took out most of the best scenes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right most of it was Snyder and Whedon inexplicably took out most of the best scenes.

Snyder's first stab at Batman was reviled in Bats v. Supes. And yes, the Snyder cut was better, but there is no way in hell that any studio is going to drop a 4 hour freaking movie, which means Snyder would have had to cut the hell out of whatever was going to end up on screen anyway.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Snyder's first stab at Batman was reviled in Bats v. Supes. And yes, the Snyder cut was better, but there is no way in hell that any studio is going to drop a 4 hour freaking movie, which means Snyder would have had to cut the hell out of whatever was going to end up on screen anyway.
I think it was way too ambitious, thats for sure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was way too ambitious, thats for sure.

Yeah. I'm curious what his final cut would have been like. Apparently the Snyder cut for Bats v. Supes is supposedly a solid improvement over the theatrical cut, but even that cut was 2.5 hours.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm curious what his final cut would have been like. Apparently the Snyder cut for Bats v. Supes is supposedly a solid improvement over the theatrical cut, but even that cut was 2.5 hours.
I've seen both.

It's actually a lot better. The scenes showing all the little dirty things Lex did to pin Batman vs Superman were removed. The animosity made less sense in the theatrical than it did in the full cut.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just happy the studio is moving on from Snyder. It needs fresh blood.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had Snyder stuck with a Man Of Steel trilogy it would’ve been fine. The decision to go with Batman again after the Nolan trilogy was a terrible a strategy. It makes me mad.
I believe the idea was for Snyder to lead everything DC and unify the verse to compete with Marvel. So, I don't think it was just about Batman. Either way it was a huge mistake.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people will think it's a masterpiece, others will find it polarizing. The word I like is "relevant". Curious to see what others think.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Mostly glowing reviews on Twitter and then there’s this awesome take. :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hear! Hear! Too many movies now are in the 2.5+ hour range that don't need to be. Usually there's at least a half hour of fat that used to get trimmed from them. I get annoyed at night at times when I only have 1.5-2 hours before bed and can't find anything that will fit in the the time slot.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reeves wanted to bring back the roots of Batman. The detective in the character.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven’t watched but everyone I know who has says it’s pretty damn good

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It had better be, at 2 hours and 56 minutes.
I haven't seen it yet but the length has been the main, and really only, complaint I've heard on it. Sounds the consensus is that it's about 30 min. too long with most of the fat being in the 2nd half.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but the length has been the main, and really only, complaint I've heard on it. Sounds the consensus is that it's about 30 min. too long with most of the fat being in the 2nd half.
I would say about 15 minutes maybe. However, what offsets it? The cinemaphotography is amazing. So many beautiful shots. The movie is definitely a detective movie set in the Batman universe. I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. I am looking forward to a sequel. For me? Easily the best DC movie since the original Wonder Woman. If you are expecting a balls out action movie from start to finish this movie isn't for you. Definitely, has a slow simmer but it pays off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was fine. Beautiful to look at. Liked the first half A LOT more than the second half. For a 3 hour movie, I didn’t feel like it dragged all that much, so that at least shows I was entertained. Pattinson is pretty good in the Suit. Not much out of it. And I think that’s kinda on purpose for what they’re trying to do, but still doesn’t make for a dynamic take on the character.

Biggest problem was that the Riddler didn’t really do it for me.

Otherwise, Penguin is great in limited time. Alfred is whatever. Kravitz is the third best Selina Kyle. Felt relentlessly “dark”, and sometimes trying to hard to be. Saw a couple of the twists and turns coming from a ways away, and what twist I didn’t, I was like... okay.

Maybe I’m just Batman’d out considering this is the third Batman in the last decade.

I’ll be interested to see what he does with the sequel, but I won’t be running to the theater to see it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose