The Arizona Cardinals are hiring an analytics guy

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Same Andruzzi who played for New England and who's brother was a firefighter in 9/11?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe don't go for 2 when you are up 19-7 in the 3rd QTR?

That is the one you are sticking with? That play is marginal at best. (as in go for it or not) Conventional wisdom says to wait until the 4th quarter, but I would not be surprised one bit if newer analytics say to go for it.

Besides, there are dozens of questionable plays from KK that you could argue instead. Including the one where he went for it on 4th and short deep in or own territory. (and was successful)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Analytics = putting yourself into a position to take advantage of your opponent's weaknesses.

Yes please.

I think they had some analytics guys on the payroll previously. Does anyone know what they do?

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope you are all aware that it is Staley's analytics guy who tells him to go for nearly every 4th and short, even deep in their own territory (like yesterday). I am not saying that I am against it but I have a feeling that some people here will lose their minds if we have multiple situations like in the Panther's game per season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you are all aware that it is Staley's analytics guy who tells him to go for nearly every 4th and short, even deep in their own territory (like yesterday). I am not saying that I am against it but I have a feeling that some people here will lose their minds if we have multiple situations like in the Panther's game per season.

I can't confirm that but if it's true, Staley is an interesting guy. What he does I think people misunderstand. That is he doesn't think he's going to get it everytime he goes for it on 4th down, what he's doing is trying to maximize their chance of winning, and as he said playing to the strength of his team. That is there are situations where your chance to win the game is better when it seems crazy because if you get it, you get a huge boost.

yes when you don't get it like at the 18 yard line, it looks really bad, but he's got lots of confidence in herbert and he doesn't think much of his kicker and punter so he takes risks.

Andruzzi seems like a really young guy if it's the guy coming up on google, and I don't mean that negatively.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually, Staley said in last night's presser that going for it on 4th at his own 18-yard line was a "gut decision."

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
That’s all Kliff needs is an analytics guy to help him with his dumb decisions on the field on when to gamble & when to go for 2. Lol. Ugh

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Staley is one of the dumbest coaching decision makers I’ve ever witnessed on the NFL playing field. He cost the Bolts at least 2 wins during the season with boneheaded decisions & did so twice yesterday, costing them a playoff spot! Yes, worse than Kliff

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the one you are sticking with? That play is marginal at best. (as in go for it or not) Conventional wisdom says to wait until the 4th quarter, but I would not be surprised one bit if newer analytics say to go for it.

Besides, there are dozens of questionable plays from KK that you could argue instead. Including the one where he went for it on 4th and short deep in or own territory. (and was successful)
Yes. Not talked about. However San Diego is sitting home for the playoffs for doing the same thing and failing to make a first down.