The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
3/7/20, 7:34 AM
Sean Marks and Atkinson had several conversations and the sense had been that a change was inevitable and both sides decided that there was no sense waiting on it. Both had felt that Atkinson and Nets had run course together. They have maintained a close relationship.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I was coming here to post about this. The Kyrie effect claims another victim. The Nets better hope that KD returns next year and is close to what he was prior to his injury and he can manage Kyrie a bit. It really wouldn't surprise me if KD and Kyrie struggle to get through next season together and push management to split them up next offseason. The Nets will probably need to include assets to move Kyrie, since no one will want to be the next stop on that crazy train.

The Nets looked to be a team on the rise with a young-ish coach in Atkinson and a young roster but they gave up all of that to bring in KD and Kyrie and let them control things. It started right away when they each took a little less than max money so the Nets could sign DeAndre Jordan, which wasn't a terrible move on it's own but Kyrie complained early in the year because Jordan wasn't seeing enough minutes with him despite Jarrett Allen being better than him by almost all statistical measures. Not long after that Kyrie threw all of his teammates under the bus again, despite not even being a regular fixture in their lineup because of injuries.

Since the East is terrible though they're still 7th in the playoff race with a 28-34 record, which makes the timing that much stranger. They can't tank this late, not in the East. Even if they lost out they'd still probably finish 9th or 10th because that conference sucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were never giving him the max after giving Book the max. Zinger looks like he’s back though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is true. It's just a shame that Dallas was able to add a second star without missing a beat.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only has Porzingis rediscovered his unicorn DNA but the primary piece the Knicks got back, Dennis Smith Jr, looks completely lost, averaging 5 points a game on 34% shooting. Tim Hardaway Jr, tossed into the trade to help the Knicks clear salary for the superstars they couldn't sign, would probably be the Knick's best player right now.

If it wasn't the Knicks I might feel bad for them.

The Knicks front office has been worse than the Suns front office and that's saying something.

Tim Hardaway Jr. has been good for Dallas as you note.

I'm not one to feel sorry for the Knicks either but in theory they should be the Lakers of the East coast.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kind of want to see an empty arena game. The idea seems weird though. I wonder how the players would focus knowing the normal crowd isn't there because of an outbreak. It's not just 1k or 2k people but 15k+ that isn't there. They should almost broadcast from a practice court or something because playing in an empty arena would seem distracting and a waste of electricity.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was coming here to post about this. The Kyrie effect claims another victim. The Nets better hope that KD returns next year and is close to what he was prior to his injury and he can manage Kyrie a bit. It really wouldn't surprise me if KD and Kyrie struggle to get through next season together and push management to split them up next offseason. The Nets will probably need to include assets to move Kyrie, since no one will want to be the next stop on that crazy train.

The Nets looked to be a team on the rise with a young-ish coach in Atkinson and a young roster but they gave up all of that to bring in KD and Kyrie and let them control things. It started right away when they each took a little less than max money so the Nets could sign DeAndre Jordan, which wasn't a terrible move on it's own but Kyrie complained early in the year because Jordan wasn't seeing enough minutes with him despite Jarrett Allen being better than him by almost all statistical measures. Not long after that Kyrie threw all of his teammates under the bus again, despite not even being a regular fixture in their lineup because of injuries.

Since the East is terrible though they're still 7th in the playoff race with a 28-34 record, which makes the timing that much stranger. They can't tank this late, not in the East. Even if they lost out they'd still probably finish 9th or 10th because that conference sucks.

Teams will be chomping at the bit to sign Kenny Atkinson.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They’ve talking about it with March madness too. I think it would be even more out of place to see that.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
14m

Milwaukee’s Giannis Antetokounmpo is getting a precautionary MRI on his left knee, league sources tell ESPN. The MVP landed hard on the floor and tweaked the knee in second half of the loss to the Lakers Friday night, but stayed in the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the media should be in the locker room anyway. Good grief, let the dude take his shower in peace. Why in the world is it necessary to interview naked sweaty players after a game.

I think it has a lot to do with getting the story out quickly dating back to news paper timelines.

Maybe there should be a briefing area immediately before the locker room.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Lance. Was that the guy that blew kisses at the flopper in the playoffs, waking him up and taking over the game?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Jontay Porter, a rookie F/C out of Missouri, has signed a multi-year deal with the Grizzlies, his agent Mark Bartelstein of @PrioritySports tells ESPN. Porter rehabbed two separate knee injuries, but has progressed well and is expected to be ready for training camp next season.

2:22 PM - 8 Mar 2020

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard