The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris's really looks to be thriving as a Warrior. Looks like Draymond has really gotten to him. Would'nt you know it!!

I think it's more that he's older and more mature, knew he only had so many chances. They keep saying he's on a winning program now but last I checked the Warriors have the worst record in the NBA. yes it's a winning "culture" but they're not winning this year. I think he's just older.

Bender got another 10 day, they said they like him, so far what I've seen is the same guy, little teases here and there, he's big, hey he's a decent rebounder and defender, why does he miss so many layups, the jumpshot looks good but never goes in etc.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many guys can you find doing two ft windmills without a running start and with that kind of authority?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

that one got lots of hype but IMO the 2 best dunks in that game were the 2 off the long feeds from Lonzo. One was just past halfcourt the other maybe 65 feet away, both on a platter to Zion on the run for a dunk. Obviously easier to throw to a guy who jumps that high but pretty spectacular.

It's tempting to say if they could have kept Davis how special would that combo be but because of where Zion does most of his work, they might not have meshed that well together. In the long run they may be better off with Ingram, Ball etc and Zion.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think it's cool that/if Chriss (and Bender?) succeedes because 1) they're supposed to be good guys (even though Chriss can be a knucklehead on the floor) and 2) it proves for everyone that Suns player development sucks and they give up too early and expect success too soon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it comes to this, I hope the games are televised.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
About Bender, i see this happen a lot in high school...good skill, form and technique but the shots just don't fall. Its a practice thing, he's not putting in the time to get so many hundreds of shots up in a day. He's just not working at it and relying on talent, he could just be content with whatever minimum he makes, idk.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Reporting with @WindhorstESPN: NBA is planning to limit locker room access to only players and essential team personnel in wake of coronavirus. Teams are also instructed to create a 6-to-8 foot distance between players and media in availability sessions outside locker rooms.

2:42 PM - 9 Mar 2020

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
About Bender, i see this happen a lot in high school...good skill, form and technique but the shots just don't fall. Its a practice thing, he's not putting in the time to get so many hundreds of shots up in a day. He's just not working at it and relying on talent, he could just be content with whatever minimum he makes, idk.

I think for him he just panics. It's not just his shot that is off, he also throws the ball out of bounds, dribbles off his legs, shoots an air ball that misses by 2 feet while only being 4 feet from the hoop.

When he is defending he is just reacting and trying to stay in front of someone, he can handle that, but when he has make decisions for himself, trying to combine two acts, like dribble then shoot, he falls apart.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought this was neat and figured I'd share it here. It's a list of players who earned the most money in the NBA while losing. The writer looked at player's salaries when they played on teams with losing records for that season and added them all up for career totals while losing.

Stephon Marbury led the way as the top earner while losing by accumulating $136 million over 11 years with a losing record. His NBA career only lasted for 13 seasons total and he had career earnings of approximately $150 million in those 13 years. Unfortunately the writer doesn't list career earnings, I had to find that amount by checking Spotrac.com. That's roughly 90% of his earnings coming while he was leading his teams nowhere.

All 15 of the players listed have been in the league somewhat recently since the players are making considerably more now than ever before. In the 90's it was almost unheard of for a player to receive a contract north of $100 million, especially for role players that had never made an All-Star team and likely never would. Like I said, I thought it was kind of neat.

Here is the whole article...

https://hoopshype.com/2020/03/09/wh...teams-stephon-marbury-and-its-not-even-close/

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think for him he just panics. It's not just his shot that is off, he also throws the ball out of bounds, dribbles off his legs, shoots an air ball that misses by 2 feet while only being 4 feet from the hoop.

When he is defending he is just reacting and trying to stay in front of someone, he can handle that, but when he has make decisions for himself, trying to combine two acts, like dribble then shoot, he falls apart.

I agree. Doesn't matter how many hours you spend in the gym, if you can't calm your mind when the lights are on, it won't matter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron doing his thing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's cool that/if Chriss (and Bender?) succeedes because 1) they're supposed to be good guys (even though Chriss can be a knucklehead on the floor) and 2) it proves for everyone that Suns player development sucks and they give up too early and expect success too soon.
Maybe. Or maybe knuckleheads need to be cut from three teams before they are humbled and finally become teachable. Or maybe being a free agent minimum salary takes the pressure off of a player and they begin to relax and play better. There are more factors in play. It would really prove nothing except they were drafted too high.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Collins of the Hawks is feeling worthy of a max contract.

“I definitely feel like I am in max contract contention. If I finish this season averaging 20 and 10, the other guys who are averaging 20 and 10 are max-caliber guys. I’m in that conversation and feel like I am worthy of being extended as such. That’s for the Hawks to decide and figure it out. If you want to look at numbers and flat-out play, I definitely feel like I’ve earned it. But the team situation, future cap and all that, now you have a contract negotiation.”

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...itely-Feel-Like-Im-In-Max-Contract-Contention

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a possibility of Joseph Nurkic playing Sunday against the Rockets.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
3/11/20, 11:54 AM
The Golden State Warriors are planning to play foreseeable home games without fans in observance of the San Francisco Health Office's order prohibiting group of events of 1K or more from assembling, source tells ESPN.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
3/11/20, 11:54 AM
The Golden State Warriors are planning to play foreseeable home games without fans in observance of the San Francisco Health Office's order prohibiting group of events of 1K or more from assembling, source tells ESPN.

It's happening.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This from Dr. Anthony S. Fauci.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on the Warriors game on March 12th being played without spectators.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Chinese league wants to resume play in April.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I have been hoping to hear, at least televise the games if they are to be played in mostly empty arenas.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like CBA teams want to play hard ball with the players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consensus among owners amounts to two options.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson