The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought this was funny. So Shaq and D-Wade had a bet for the Miami/Milwaukee game the other day and Miami won by 16, 105-89. Shaq had the Bucks and Wade had the Heat. To settle the bet, Wade told Shaq that he needed to grow his hair out and show the world how far back his hairline is.

Here's a pic of Shaq with his hair growing in. With a little bit of hair he looks like the hulked out version of Cedric The Entertainer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a link to an article that details all this.

I have to say the crew on TNT's NBA basketball coverage is second to none in sports when it comes to entertainment value. I've never been bored watching their coverage, even if every game they're discussing featured nothing but bad basketball. The shows they do after bad games are generally better than the ones after nail biters.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

he was outstanding last night. Pelicans kept posting Zion against Kleber, Porzingas would come over to help. Each blocked 5 shots, I'm betting at least 7 of those 10 were on Zion, who still had 21 on 9-18 shooting.

Porzingas looked terrific, Luka in the 4th was money. It looked like they were going to lose and then Doncic took over.

Lonzo continued to play well, 25 on 9-19 7-11 from 3. Last 3 games 19, 26, 25, also 23 assists and 25 boards. 25-46 over those 3 games 15 for 28 from 3 and 14 for 21 in the last 2 games. They showed a slo mo replay breakdown of the change to his shot, pretty impressive the ball is now totally on the right side instead of the left, smooth follow through. He missed his last few shots last night including a rushed deep 3 down 2 that would have won the game but was an airball. But even the coach said what impressed him is Lonzo took the shot, not that long ago he would have passed. Lonzo knew they wanted a quick shot to leave time for a putback if they missed, so he dribbled out to the 3 and shot it.

If they can keep Zion healthy(was limping last night back to back games) and get him in better shape they look pretty promising. Of course it depends what happens with Jrue, if they lose him all bets are off.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If they can keep Zion healthy(was limping last night back to back games) and get him in better shape they look pretty promising. Of course it depends what happens with Jrue, if they lose him all bets are off.
The safe bet on Zion, as disappointing as it is for the NBA,
is that his legs and feet cannot take his weight, which is
showing even earlier than expected.

I wonder if there is a controlled weight loss program they
could put him on during the off-season that would not
detract from his strength and the rest of his stamina.

6'6"-284, no matter how chiseled, is evidently not working.

Does anyone have other ideas or opinions about this?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I saw him live a few years ago, a game we lost in OT. I came away thinking he was going to become a super-duper star. That was before he blew out his knee. He moves around so smooth for a guy his height, he uses his length on both ends of the court well, shooting jumpers that are almost impossible to block and he's very good at defending near the hoop.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Suns fan it was disconcerting how cheaply the Mavericks got Porzingis but that's the Knicks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the Knicks after all.

Frank Isola‏Verified account @TheFrankIsola

The Knicks, according to NBA sources, have been gathering intel on All Star Chris Paul and could make a run at him this summer. Paul, 34, carries a huge contract but he’s had a resurgent season in OKC & is proven leader. (He was also once represented by...Leon Rose.)

11:04 AM - 5 Mar 2020

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
6m

ESPN Sources: NBA has fined Mark Cuban $500K -- and rejected the Dallas Mavericks petition to replay the final seconds of a Feb. 22 loss to Atlanta. Cuban assailed league’s officiating leadership and system in a tirade — and twice went on court in final minutes to confront refs.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
3m

NBA statement: A team owner’s effort to influence refereeing decisions during and after a game creates perception of an unfair competitive advantage and thereby undermines the integrity of the game. Demeaning league employees also creates an intimidating workplace environment.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Norman Powell sure messed up the Steph Curry return game. 19 in the 2nd quarter, 37 in the game for Norm.

Every now and then I like to remind people they all said I was nuts when I said before Powell's freshman year at UCLA, he'd wind up a better player than Nick Johnson was. Took longer than I expected but clearly happened. Never underestimate the notion that people develop at different rates and if you spent much of your childhood as a track athlete(long and triple jump) before converting to hoops fulltime, you're probably not nearly as far along developmental wise as a kid who grew up playing hoops with current and ex NBA players coaching him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Norman Powell sure messed up the Steph Curry return game. 19 in the 2nd quarter, 37 in the game for Norm.

Every now and then I like to remind people they all said I was nuts when I said before Powell's freshman year at UCLA, he'd wind up a better player than Nick Johnson was. Took longer than I expected but clearly happened. Never underestimate the notion that people develop at different rates and if you spent much of your childhood as a track athlete(long and triple jump) before converting to hoops fulltime, you're probably not nearly as far along developmental wise as a kid who grew up playing hoops with current and ex NBA players coaching him.

I think it makes a difference that he was an athlete before focusing on basketball vs someone who just started playing basketball full-time around the same age. He knew the dedication and discipline required to be a top athlete already, albeit in a different sport. So while it did take him a little longer to come around in the NBA, he had a background that suggested he'd put in the work.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it makes a difference that he was an athlete before focusing on basketball vs someone who just started playing basketball full-time around the same age. He knew the dedication and discipline required to be a top athlete already, albeit in a different sport. So while it did take him a little longer to come around in the NBA, he had a background that suggested he'd put in the work.

Yeah that was a poke at some Arizona fans who said I was crazy when I said Powell would be better than Nick. Arizona stopped recruiting Norm because he wasn't good enough etc. I think it was really the same reason UCLA stopped recruiting NIck, they knew he was not going to UCLA, and Arizona knew Norm was not going to arizona. Nick was a great leaper but he grew up immersed in basketball, it was somewhat obvious he probably wasn't a guy who was going to improve nearly as much in college as Powell would because Norm had been serious about the game for 3-4 years.

But yes he's a very hard worker/

Great kid one of my favorite Bruins, seems to be a number thing, Afflalo, Powell, now Jaime Jaquez all wore #4 at UCLA

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I can't wait until December for the season to start.

Actually it's not a bad idea so I don't have to watch 2-3 games at once.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah that was a poke at some Arizona fans who said I was crazy when I said Powell would be better than Nick. Arizona stopped recruiting Norm because he wasn't good enough etc. I think it was really the same reason UCLA stopped recruiting NIck, they knew he was not going to UCLA, and Arizona knew Norm was not going to arizona. Nick was a great leaper but he grew up immersed in basketball, it was somewhat obvious he probably wasn't a guy who was going to improve nearly as much in college as Powell would because Norm had been serious about the game for 3-4 years.

But yes he's a very hard worker/

Great kid one of my favorite Bruins, seems to be a number thing, Afflalo, Powell, now Jaime Jaquez all wore #4 at UCLA

Always thought that if Nick came back for his Sr year that might’ve been one of the greatest AZ teams ever. The backcourt would’ve been seniors and it would’ve erased about 25 min a night between PJC and Pitts. I think Nick might’ve felt a little threatened by Stanley coming in. Poor decision in retrospect.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always thought that if Nick came back for his Sr year that might’ve been one of the greatest AZ teams ever. The backcourt would’ve been seniors and it would’ve erased about 25 min a night between PJC and Pitts. I think Nick might’ve felt a little threatened by Stanley coming in. Poor decision in retrospect.

I won't take the credit for it, Greg Hicks on BRO was the first I saw say it, but Nick wasn't a great athlete. Sounds ridiculous but he was a great LEAPER, but he wasn't particularly quick. He was a tweener, spectacular leaper, smart kid, played hard, but not a knockdown shooter and not really a PG. We were always told the reason he wasn't going to UCLA was he didn't like Howland so he made the right decision.

I don't think he would have been a good pro no matter what, he's a tweener, he's a 2 but even with his leaping he's not big enough to play the 2 and doesn't shoot well enough, and he's not a PG. Powell knew early he had to get really good on defense and do other things, he's gotten better every year.

I think Nick was a hard worker but he peaked earlier than Powell for the reason mentioned, Powell picked up the game much later.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: The NBA has sent a memo to its franchises explaining that, due to coronavirus outbreak, teams should be preparing to play games without fans in attendance and identifying “essential staff” present for these games -- should it be necessary.

6:51 PM - 6 Mar 2020

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As a Suns fan it was disconcerting how cheaply the Mavericks got Porzingis but that's the Knicks.

We were never giving him the max after giving Book the max. Zinger looks like he’s back though.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not only has Porzingis rediscovered his unicorn DNA but the primary piece the Knicks got back, Dennis Smith Jr, looks completely lost, averaging 5 points a game on 34% shooting. Tim Hardaway Jr, tossed into the trade to help the Knicks clear salary for the superstars they couldn't sign, would probably be the Knick's best player right now.

If it wasn't the Knicks I might feel bad for them.