The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I used to do a podcast with a former pro wrestler. It takes a lot of work but there are various services out there that can help get you started pretty cheap. Something like BlogTalkRadio.com would work if you were looking to host a podcast that took callers from other posters here. After the live broadcast then it would be available on iTunes, Stitcher, or whatever podcast app you want to get signed up for. It's also pretty cheap to get started, I think it's only $40 a month and that gives you the ability to record a new show daily with callers.
Yeah there are a lot of services out there. I already have a microphone and the audio editing software, so there isn’t much of a need for a subscription—of course that’s for a straight pod— haven’t learned much about having “guests” on it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah there are a lot of services out there. I already have a microphone and the audio editing software, so there isn’t much of a need for a subscription—of course that’s for a straight pod— haven’t learned much about having “guests” on it.
I assume you can do it remotely. I have a microphone set up because I run board meetings and teach via video conference all the time. We use Zoom. I would assume you could record a podcast with Zoom easily.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a lot of ways to record it, it can be done with Google, Skype, programs like Zoom. I think when you're starting out it's best to have as much handled for you and learning and taking over more and more responsibilities as you go along. So starting with a subscription service that handled the posting and recording would probably be best at first and then switching that to only posting it because you submit your own audio files, until you are able to take things over 100% and handle all aspects in house. That's what most people I know in that industry did. It allows you to jump in right away and continue putting out a product because consistency is key in the podcast world. If you say you'll post a new episode every Wednesday then you need to make sure there is a new one every Wednesday or the listeners you acquired will go elsewhere. It's like TV, I suppose, as far as trying to get an audience that doesn't channel surf.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just listened to the June 4th edition of Empire of the Suns. It was the first time I have listened to a podcast. Any of you that listen to this show, was that a bad episode? I came away as way NOT impressed. If it was possible to bring less energy and less information, or even relevant takes, I don't know how. Are these guys Suns reporters? They seem to know less than we do about the Suns and the NBA. Do people pay for this stuff? Should I even bother to listen to other podcasts if this is what they are like?

Yes, I listen to that one.

The reporters for Arizona Sports / 910 are the guys that do it. I actually like their podcast, but they are often very negative - which is somewhat understandable. This last episode was not one of their better ones. Kellen Olson is very opinionated, and it seems like zimmerman mostly just agrees with him, but I like hearing his takes.

It is a free podcast. I listen to the solar panel podcast also - it is kind of hit or miss. Basically I find Dave King to be the best part of it, but he is not on every one.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve actually been debating for a few months about getting into the podcast game.
The Cheese and Chap podcast would be entertaining. It wouldn’t actually get much discussed substantively past the introductory remarks, but entertaining nonetheless.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I listen to that one.

The reporters for Arizona Sports / 910 are the guys that do it. I actually like their podcast, but they are often very negative - which is somewhat understandable. This last episode was not one of their better ones. Kellen Olson is very opinionated, and it seems like zimmerman mostly just agrees with him, but I like hearing his takes.

It is a free podcast. I listen to the solar panel podcast also - it is kind of hit or miss. Basically I find Dave King to be the best part of it, but he is not on every one.

I couldn't think of the guys name on that that I liked. That is Espo and Tim Tompkins, usually. The last one I listened to with them had Ashley something on there and she was bad. I know Slin has bashed her a few times whenever a claim she floats is mentioned here and I can understand why. It seems like she presents a lot of her assumptions as facts. Of course Espo and Tim didn't try to pull any further info from her when she would make claims like TJ asking for a trade before the deadline and that being why he sat.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I couldn't think of the guys name on that that I liked. That is Espo and Tim Tompkins, usually. The last one I listened to with them had Ashley something on there and she was bad. I know Slin has bashed her a few times whenever a claim she floats is mentioned here and I can understand why. It seems like she presents a lot of her assumptions as facts. Of course Espo and Tim didn't try to pull any further info from her when she would make claims like TJ asking for a trade before the deadline and that being why he sat.
She is a writer in bright side and they brought her in to sub for Dave King.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I just listened to the June 4th edition of Empire of the Suns. It was the first time I have listened to a podcast. Any of you that listen to this show, was that a bad episode? I came away as way NOT impressed. If it was possible to bring less energy and less information, or even relevant takes, I don't know how. Are these guys Suns reporters? They seem to know less than we do about the Suns and the NBA. Do people pay for this stuff? Should I even bother to listen to other podcasts if this is what they are like?

Listen to Locked On Suns with Evan Sidery and you’ll have a new appreciation for the Empire pod.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hawks make out like bandits. Too bad the Suns were not in position to be on the Hawks end of this trade.

The Brooklyn Nets are trading guard Allen Crabbe and his $18.5 million contract to the Atlanta Hawks, clearing the salary-cap space to pursue two maximum free-agent contracts this summer, league sources told ESPN.

The Nets are sending Crabbe, the No. 17 pick in the 2019 NBA draft, and a 2020 lottery-protected first-round pick to the Hawks for forward Taurean Prince and a 2021 second-round pick, league sources said. The deal can't be finalized until July 6.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26914126/nets-trade-crabbe-hawks-prince

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like expiring contracts do have value to the receiving team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like expiring contracts do have value to the receiving team.

I think it's the picks that carry the value. I'm not sure what value that expiring has to them. They're not a free agent destination and they got paid handsomely to rent out of their capspace.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cheese and Chap podcast would be entertaining. It wouldn’t actually get much discussed substantively past the introductory remarks, but entertaining nonetheless.

lol... I was JUST thinking that @Chaplin and I should come together for a Suns podcast. The best Pods are always those who's hosts not only passionately care about something, but usually have MUCH different opinions on the subject. That would probably be endlessly entertaining.

We should do it Chap.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
lol... I was JUST thinking that @Chaplin and I should come together for a Suns podcast. The best Pods are always those who's hosts not only passionately care about something, but usually have MUCH different opinions on the subject. That would probably be endlessly entertaining.

We should do it Chap.
I'm down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm down.

I've got a Mic also for another pod I'm getting off the ground.

If you're serious, I'm thinking the best first episode should either be us doing a running pod during the first six picks of the first round or the day after.

with another one coming after the first week of FA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's the picks that carry the value. I'm not sure what value that expiring has to them. They're not a free agent destination and they got paid handsomely to rent out of their capspace.

The Hawks being able to absorb Allen Crabbe's contract put them in a very advantageous situation. If the contract was not expiring I doubt the trade would have happened. Certainly the draft picks were the reason the Hawks did the trade. Maybe they get some use out of Crabbe, maybe not.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Hawks being able to absorb Allen Crabbe's contract put them in a very advantageous situation. If the contract was not expiring I doubt the trade would have happened. Certainly the draft picks were the reason the Hawks did the trade. Maybe they get some use out of Crabbe, maybe not.

I thought about his contract a few times but we couldn't do a sign and trade that involved them sending out Crabbe with Russell. Crabbe's contract is similar to Tyler Johnson's though and the market has been set to unload that, basically.

2 1st's is steep and Crabbe is about as servicable as Tyler Johnson is so in terms of what we'd need to include to unload Johnson, that tells us something.

Taureen Prince is a good player also, or as good as Crabbe, I'd prefer him to Crabbe probably, so it wasn't a total loss on Brooklyn's end. They're after 2 max players though and that's it.

This kills the idea of trading either Warren or Johnson and #6 for the #17 and Dinwiddie though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've got a Mic also for another pod I'm getting off the ground.

If you're serious, I'm thinking the best first episode should either be us doing a running pod during the first six picks of the first round or the day after.

with another one coming after the first week of FA.
Sounds good, I have to make sure I can get my own mic to work how I want it to--haven't done any good testing yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about his contract a few times but we couldn't do a sign and trade that involved them sending out Crabbe with Russell. Crabbe's contract is similar to Tyler Johnson's though and the market has been set to unload that, basically.

2 1st's is steep and Crabbe is about as servicable as Tyler Johnson is so in terms of what we'd need to include to unload Johnson, that tells us something.

Taureen Prince is a good player also, or as good as Crabbe, I'd prefer him to Crabbe probably, so it wasn't a total loss on Brooklyn's end. They're after 2 max players though and that's it.

This kills the idea of trading either Warren or Johnson and #6 for the #17 and Dinwiddie though.

If Brooklyn ends up with two stars the trade is worth it for them. At some point in time the Suns are probably going to have to roll the dice as well to take the next step.

Yeah, the idea of trading #6 for the #17 and Dinwiddie is out the window but it was a made up scenario anyway by sports media.

Maybe the Nets still want to trade Dinwiddie.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nets two max contract players and one won’t be Dangello Russell there going big game hunting.

If your the Suns you make a play for Bookers BFF?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard