The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I think that one series where Amare and Diaw were suspended, the Suns should have moved on.

Agree, the Warriors were better than the Rockets.

D'Antoni always has this one team he can't get past.

How many more rings would Lebron have, if the Warriors were not in his way?

Tough league to win it all. A lot of things need to go your way. Talent almost always win out.

I really think Morey screwed up when he signed Chris Paul. He just does not appear to be a likable human being. I expect that he is the locker room problem that needs to be cleaned up. If he is able to dump him to the Lakers or anyone else he will truly be a magician.

I have always supported D'Antoni teams but it has been hard to do so after the Rockets acquired Chris Paul. I like James Harden in that I started following him while he was at ASU and really wanted the Suns to acquire him when he was available from OKC.

Let's Go Raptors

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
5/31/19, 12:59 PM
The Los Angeles Clippers have been fined $50,000 by NBA for violating the league’s anti-tampering rule when Doc Rivers publicly commented on Kawhi Leonard.
How can coaches even talk? He gave an honest opinion about Kahwi's play. I cannot see how it could be conceived of tampering or manipulating. Maybe that is why the fine was so low. It's like honking the horn to remind Doc to stay in his lane.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones mentioned he would like Ayton to be utilized like Embiid in a past interview so there is that.

The thing favoring Jones in regard to tampering, he was a new GM.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones mentioned he would like Ayton to be utilized like Embiid in a past interview so there is that.

The thing favoring Jones in regard to tampering, he was a new GM.

Saying you'd like one of your players to play like a specific All-Star isn't tampering though. Embiid isn't a free agent and the Suns weren't trying to acquire him in any way before or after Jones' comment.

When your team is already linked to a top free agent, like the Clippers and Kawhi, it's best not to talk about that player specifically nowadays or the league will come down with a fine. Whether it's tampering or not though? The league says it is and that's all that matters.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saying you'd like one of your players to play like a specific All-Star isn't tampering though. Embiid isn't a free agent and the Suns weren't trying to acquire him in any way before or after Jones' comment.

When your team is already linked to a top free agent, like the Clippers and Kawhi, it's best not to talk about that player specifically nowadays or the league will come down with a fine. Whether it's tampering or not though? The league says it is and that's all that matters.

I was mostly responding to JCs comment about how can coaches even talk about players on opposing teams.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's like sexual harrassment at the work place. If you have a feeling something you are about to say might get you in trouble, don't! I think coaches almost have to be like this. That's one of the reason's Magic didn't like being in management for the Lakers because he felt he couldn't talk about players anymore.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If I'm the Lakers I do anything I can to get out of the LeBron business, which still feels weird to say.

But for Houston this wouldn't be "the banana boat sails one last time" -- they'd be on the hook for a combined SIX seasons at ~40m per. For players they have to load manage at best from the start.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm the Lakers I do anything I can to get out of the LeBron business, which still feels weird to say.

But for Houston this wouldn't be "the banana boat sails one last time" -- they'd be on the hook for a combined SIX seasons at ~40m per. For players they have to load manage at best from the start.

The Lakers have conflicting timelines with their youth and Lebron. Parting with Zubac was a huge mistake.

Cousins might be a target for the Rockets as well but I'm not sure how this would work with Capela.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talks about Anthony Davis trade begin. This should get the summer going.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers are hiring Lionel Hollins.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

The Lakers are hiring Lionel Hollins as an assistant coach, league sources tell ESPN. Hollins is the all-time winningest coach in Memphis and also led Brooklyn to the playoffs. Hollins joins Jason Kidd on Frank Vogel’s new staff.

1:59 PM - 4 Jun 2019

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, two potential replacement coaches on staff. Hmmm.
He is 65 years old. Looks like he is doing what lots of NBA types have done over the years--retire on a Lakers, um, pension.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just listened to the June 4th edition of Empire of the Suns. It was the first time I have listened to a podcast. Any of you that listen to this show, was that a bad episode? I came away as way NOT impressed. If it was possible to bring less energy and less information, or even relevant takes, I don't know how. Are these guys Suns reporters? They seem to know less than we do about the Suns and the NBA. Do people pay for this stuff? Should I even bother to listen to other podcasts if this is what they are like?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just listened to the June 4th edition of Empire of the Suns. It was the first time I have listened to a podcast. Any of you that listen to this show, was that a bad episode? I came away as way NOT impressed. If it was possible to bring less energy and less information, or even relevant takes, I don't know how. Are these guys Suns reporters? They seem to know less than we do about the Suns and the NBA. Do people pay for this stuff? Should I even bother to listen to other podcasts if this is what they are like?

I don't know that I've heard that one. I have heard the Solar Panel, which is so-so, I like The Timeline. I think the good shows are just as good, if not better, than your average AM sports talk radio with Gambo, Bickley, or any of the other talking heads but it's all Suns oriented. So I think they are worth checking out, you seem dedicated and craving more so I'd definitely recommend The Timeline. I do kind of like the Solar Panel if only because they post a lot of their stuff on Youtube and I can play it at 2 times the normal speed and listen to an hour in 30 minutes. They talk slow normally so it only speeds them up and doesn't make them unintelligible.

There is an older thread that lists a few Suns podcasts, that one you mentioned is listed. You should check it out, there are reviews and descriptions of the podcasts posted there by various board members.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/suns-podcast.269542/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We ought to do our own podcast with posters from this board. It would be more informative and entertaining.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used to do a podcast with a former pro wrestler. It takes a lot of work but there are various services out there that can help get you started pretty cheap. Something like BlogTalkRadio.com would work if you were looking to host a podcast that took callers from other posters here. After the live broadcast then it would be available on iTunes, Stitcher, or whatever podcast app you want to get signed up for. It's also pretty cheap to get started, I think it's only $40 a month and that gives you the ability to record a new show daily with callers.