The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Um, what? What do you mean? Other then baiting?
I mean, as has been pointed out, lebron doesn’t have a no-trade clause in his contract. And he’s not on a year-to-year contract like he was with Cleveland at the end. He’s under contract for the next two years. If the lakers trade him his only recourse if he doesn’t want to play in Houston is to retire. That’s his only leverage. You think he goes that route? If not, he’s playing in Houston regardless of what his plan was.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can’t believe how easy you think he would go along with that plan. Especially after this entire board laughed at him for going to LA essentially just for the city. And the fact that he could player-GM while he’s there. And that’s exactly what has happened.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe how easy you think he would go along with that plan. Especially after this entire board laughed at him for going to LA essentially just for the city. And the fact that he could player-GM while he’s there. And that’s exactly what has happened.

I'm really not quite sure what your point is but even allowing for a little exaggeration I think you'd be hard pressed to find much that this entire board agreed on. As for LA and Lebron, I really don't remember a whole lot of conversation on it one way or the other. Are you talking about before it happened or afterwards?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly stars generally are in agreement with trades that send them to another team but there is an example of Kawhi Leonard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm really not quite sure what your point is but even allowing for a little exaggeration I think you'd be hard pressed to find much that this entire board agreed on. As for LA and Lebron, I really don't remember a whole lot of conversation on it one way or the other. Are you talking about before it happened or afterwards?
Afterwards. It was obvious why he signed with them. And his meddling this season, while ridiculous to us on the outside, it doesn’t take a genius to see who is really in charge of that team, Ty Lue notwithstanding.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Afterwards. It was obvious why he signed with them. And his meddling this season, while ridiculous to us on the outside, it doesn’t take a genius to see who is really in charge of that team, Ty Lue notwithstanding.

Honestly I can't tell. I really am not so sure it's Lebron, I think Rich Paul has a huge influence on James so I really don't know where I'd point my finger between those two. And that's without looking at all the other power brokers involved in the Lakers front office. There's no doubt that the Lebron group has undue influence but you have the Kobe/Pelinka tandem along with Jeanie and Phil plus Kurt and his wife and who knows who else has their hand in things there.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would think LA would need to sweeten the pot some. Harden is in his prime and Lebron is on the downside of his career. If the Lakers included their pick or one of their young players, I would do that if I were Houston. Without that little bit extra though, no thanks.

Morey: Hey Rob you rang?

Pelinka: Yeah just wanted to let you know we’ll offer you 34 year old Lebron for Harden...

Pelinka: Hello?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Morey: Hey Rob you rang?

Pelinka: Yeah just wanted to let you know we’ll offer you 34 year old Lebron for Harden...

Pelinka: Hello?

The timeline fits. Morey knows he’s tied to that Paul contract and you put Lebron on that same exact team instead of Harden and there probably the favorites to win it all next year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The timeline fits. Morey knows he’s tied to that Paul contract and you put Lebron on that same exact team instead of Harden and there probably the favorites to win it all next year.

The same Lebron that broke down and couldn’t lead his team to the playoffs? Yeah that’s an easy pass for Houston. Lebron and CP3 would be sharing the training table together.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Honestly I can't tell. I really am not so sure it's Lebron, I think Rich Paul has a huge influence on James so I really don't know where I'd point my finger between those two. And that's without looking at all the other power brokers involved in the Lakers front office. There's no doubt that the Lebron group has undue influence but you have the Kobe/Pelinka tandem along with Jeanie and Phil plus Kurt and his wife and who knows who else has their hand in things there.
Of course it's just an opinion, and while I do agree, Rich Paul is working behind the scenes, in Adam Silver's NBA, there's Lebron James, and everyone else. Even without making the playoffs there is still this stigma of James and how he is basically running the Lakers. The guy is a billion dollar money bag for them, and he knows it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same Lebron that broke down and couldn’t lead his team to the playoffs? Yeah that’s an easy pass for Houston. Lebron and CP3 would be sharing the training table together.

Yeah not like they decided to shut him down or anything. The hate is strong

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If those were facts you would know the Lakers made a conscious effort to just shut lebron down.

Facts = 27 ppg 8 rpg 8 ast

Yeah your right he sucks now.

They shut him down after they were out of playoff contention. I think there was 8-10 games left in the season, give or take 2-3 games. While he posted decent numbers, he always gets his numbers. You can look back to the first few years in the league when Cleveland missed the playoffs and Lebron still had great stats. He's older now and his stats are a bit more impactful as far as he's more efficient and knows when to score himself and when to feed his teammates better now than back then. That doesn't change the fact that the Lakers fell out of playoff contention before the season was finished and elected to sit Lebron because of that.

Just looked it up, he was officially sat for the year with 6 games left. The Lakers were 34-42 at that point.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...james-to-sit-out-rest-of-the-season/39278841/

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If those were facts you would know the Lakers made a conscious effort to just shut lebron down.

Facts = 27 ppg 8 rpg 8 ast

Yeah your right he sucks now.

They shut him down for 17 games in December/January? Interesting... I guess facts don’t always tell the truth.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The words "win it all" and D'Antoni don't go together.

He plans for the moment.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like D'Antoni has ended talks with Rockets.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Houston Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni has ended talks with management on a contract extension, league sources tell ESPN. D’Antoni plans to complete the final season of his deal in 2019-20. Story soon on ESPN.

1:27 PM - 30 May 2019

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rockets are imploding and the playoffs aren't done, everyone is on the table and now the coach may have checked out. Could be a bluff by Dantoni right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It looks like D'Antoni has ended talks with Rockets.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Houston Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni has ended talks with management on a contract extension, league sources tell ESPN. D’Antoni plans to complete the final season of his deal in 2019-20. Story soon on ESPN.

1:27 PM - 30 May 2019

Fire Monty Williams and bring back DA? :p

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was thinking it was more like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Houston Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni has ended talks with management on a contract extension, league sources tell ESPN. In typical D'Antoni fashion, sources say D'Antoni reached out to the Phoenix Suns about their head coaching job even though the Suns recently hired Monty Williams to a five year contract. Clearly Mike is making another late substitution effort.

:lmao: fake news

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sort of sounds like D'Antoni in Phoenix but I do not mean it in a negative way. Maybe Spurs can be substituted for Warriors.

The Rockets didn't have talent to get by the Warriors.

Here is an excerpt from an ESPN article:

D'Antoni has averaged 58 victories in his three seasons with the Rockets, including four playoff series victories and a trip to Game 7 of the 2018 Western Conference finals. The Warriors eliminated the Rockets in the past two seasons.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26857790/dantoni-ends-rockets-contract-talks

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sort of sounds like D'Antoni in Phoenix but I do not mean it in a negative way. Maybe Spurs can be substituted for Warriors.

The Rockets didn't have talent to get by the Warriors.

Here is an excerpt from an ESPN article:

D'Antoni has averaged 58 victories in his three seasons with the Rockets, including four playoff series victories and a trip to Game 7 of the 2018 Western Conference finals. The Warriors eliminated the Rockets in the past two seasons.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26857790/dantoni-ends-rockets-contract-talks

I do think the Dantoni Suns were better than the Spurs, but the Warriors are just better than the Dantoni Rockets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think the Dantoni Suns were better than the Spurs, but the Warriors are just better than the Dantoni Rockets.

I think that one series where Amare and Diaw were suspended, the Suns should have moved on.

Agree, the Warriors were better than the Rockets.

D'Antoni always has this one team he can't get past.