The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said, D'antoni is a good coach and I think he can win a title. The problem for him right now is the Warriors are just a better, more talented team. If the Rockets let him walk, chances are they'll be replacing him with someone lesser, just like we did.

Insert <XXXXX team is better> every year he has coached. D’Antoni has always been his own worst enemy and always will be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insert <XXXXX team is better> every year he has coached. D’Antoni has always been his own worst enemy and always will be.

yup. he's "always" faced better teams... even though he had HCA over the Spurs twice, had HCA over the Warriors once and faced the Warriors tied 2-2 and lost the last two games even though they didn't have Durant and Boogie.

The fat lady has sung on that "better teams" argument in his way. The reason those teams consistently beat him wasn't because they had more talent... it was because he was outcoached consistently.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. he's "always" faced better teams... even though he had HCA over the Spurs twice, had HCA over the Warriors once and faced the Warriors tied 2-2 and lost the last two games even though they didn't have Durant and Boogie.

The fat lady has sung on that "better teams" argument in his way. The reason those teams consistently beat him wasn't because they had more talent... it was because he was outcoached consistently.

D’Antoni has NEVER been able to make in game adjustments. He sets his strategy and stubbornly sticks to it no matter what. We witnessed that time and time again with him here. Not to mention that when it comes down to a handful of plays when the game is on the line he appears to be playing checkers when coaches like Pop were playing chess.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Raja’s calf injury vs Dallas the next year was more significant than JJ in 05’.
You could possibly add Kurt Thomas injury that had some impact in deciding that series.

However, if KT doesn’t get injured, we probably do not sign Tim Thomas.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With his 7.5 man rotations, and huff-and-puff 7-seconds or less offense, and lack of defense, has he ever been a Coach for the post-season?

Or one to just put on a show during the regular season? His results, no matter which team, say the latter.

Interestingly on Simmons latest podcast he’s crediting Nurse for running a 7-man bench and sticking with his guys. Of course, one injury disrupts this. It’s easy to praise and easy to criticize. The question is more who’s on the bench when injuries or suspensions happen.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interestingly on Simmons latest podcast he’s crediting Nurse for running a 7-man bench and sticking with his guys. Of course, one injury disrupts this. It’s easy to praise and easy to criticize. The question is more who’s on the bench when injuries or suspensions happen.

Simmons is huffing paint. The Raptors have 8 guys averaging over 15 minutes a game in the playoffs, Nurse has also extended on that rotation when situations allowed for it. Meanwhile D'Antoni will run a 7 man rotation, trimming it to 6 if someone gets hurt and is inconsistent on which bench players see the court, one game a bench guy might see 20 minutes, the next 2 nights he could get a DNP. Mike D's rotations are as consistent as my bowels.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Plus, how worn out is his short rotation when they reach the playoffs?

The playoffs are hardly the time to experiment with a new rotation.

It is bad enough if injuries force you to, which, of course, puts his
team at a disadvantage.

Short rotations may cover a sprint, but not a marathon. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis is now focusing on the Lakers and Knicks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could possibly add Kurt Thomas injury that had some impact in deciding that series.

However, if KT doesn’t get injured, we probably do not sign Tim Thomas.

Speaking of Tim Thomas. That shot against the Lakers in 06 was HUGE......

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire team really....keeping it alive. Everyone was scrapping.

I'm still pissed we decided to blow our mid-level on Marcus Banks instead of rewarding Tim Thomas and letting him go the Clippers. He was a great energy guy, clutch and could have been another great big off the bench that would have given us a different look. Our depth at F/C with Amare/KT/Tim Thomas/Diaw would have been able to give the Spurs any look we wanted to try and hurt them.

and before anyone says he was never as good with the Clippers as he was with us, he put up almost identical numbers the next season and had another solid season at similar numbers the next year.

But, we didn't value bigs at all. Which was weird considering he was tailor made to be a DA big who could spread the floor. One of our many undoings that kept us from a title.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still pissed we decided to blow our mid-level on Marcus Banks instead of rewarding Tim Thomas and letting him go the Clippers. He was a great energy guy, clutch and could have been another great big off the bench that would have given us a different look. Our depth at F/C with Amare/KT/Tim Thomas/Diaw would have been able to give the Spurs any look we wanted to try and hurt them.

and before anyone says he was never as good with the Clippers as he was with us, he put up almost identical numbers the next season and had another solid season at similar numbers the next year.

But, we didn't value bigs at all. Which was weird considering he was tailor made to be a DA big who could spread the floor. One of our many undoings that kept us from a title.

I think we didn't have any other guards if irc, Banks was supposed to spell Nash when Nash was out? But it never panned out that way, seemed like he just kept riding nash.

I remember complaining one game where there were so many seconds or few minutes left in the 1st half, suns up big, and he just kept Nash in there all the way up to the end of the 1st half when a simple substitution of Banks for Nash during a defensive possession would have been the right call at the moment.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was pissed when we let Thomas go. Who needs guys who will take shots without conscience anyway? I mean when you can get your hands on a Marcus Banks!!!!

:sarcasm:

I know we needed some help for Nash but Banks was a misfire for sure. The funny thing is that down the stretch in close games D'Antoni ALWAYS shortened the rotation (especially in the playoffs). So, any help you were going to get him didn't matter down the stretch if said guy was going to ride the pine anyway.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Lakers series comeback was one of my favorite sports memories but there was no excuse for being down 3-1 and ultimately the team was exhausted by the Dallas series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers series comeback was one of my favorite sports memories but there was no excuse for being down 3-1 and ultimately the team was exhausted by the Dallas series.

man... it REALLY looked like they were going to somehow gut that Dallas series out also in Game 5. In the third quarter, TT was en fuego and I think we went up like 8 or something and then Dirk just went nuts on us the rest of the game and won them that big swing Game 5.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Dantoni picked up a technical at the worst possible time, during that game. Took all the air out of the team, when the suns were leading in that game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That Laker series going 7 is part of why the Clipper series went to 7 in the 2nd round. Thankfully both series didn't involve much travel. I know the players were fatigued but being able to fly back and forth for 3 weeks to play games in the same 2 arenas had to help alleviate some of that. Still, they never should have had back to back 7 game series in round 1 and 2, they were above that talent wise.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Laker series going 7 is part of why the Clipper series went to 7 in the 2nd round. Thankfully both series didn't involve much travel. I know the players were fatigued but being able to fly back and forth for 3 weeks to play games in the same 2 arenas had to help alleviate some of that. Still, they never should have had back to back 7 game series in round 1 and 2, they were above that talent wise.
Both of the LA Teams pounded us inside.

Phil Jackson scouted us well...he took away the Nash/Marion alley oop play. Which was so successful in the regular season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does he really have a say on where he wants to go?

He has some leverage because his deal is up after this next season. If he says he'll only resign with the Knicks or Lakers then no one else will give up that much for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does he really have a say on where he wants to go?

It's going to be interesting if the Pelicans are going to deal with the Lakers because I think they can make the best trade offer.

I think the Knicks stock diminished with the injury to Durant who may have been a target in free agency.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting if the Pelicans are going to deal with the Lakers because I think they can make the best trade offer.

I think the Knicks stock diminished with the injury to Durant who may have been a target in free agency.

I still think the Celtics have the best package, of course if Kyrie leaves then who knows what'll happen there but they could trade Tatum, Smart, and some picks, plus filler, which is better than Ingram, Lonzo, and filler. Kuzma is someone the Lakers want to keep so he may or may not be included. When it comes to picks, the Celtics have a treasure chest full of picks to offer and almost all would be better than what LA would offer considering it would be a future pick from the Lakers and they'd have AD and Lebron there so they shouldn't be a lottery team any longer.

I've heard the Knicks may try to make a deal for him while signing Kyrie and Durant, with the appeal being they could form a big 3. If Durant misses next season that changes things some but it would give Kyrie and Davis time to gel and then add KD for a playoff push, possibly, or just adding him the next year. A team with Kyrie and Davis should make the playoffs in the East.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard