Texans...

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Its like the 49ers all over again. I sure hope there only win of the season doesn't come against us.:(

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes. Watching David Leaf...er...Ryan Carr....er....David Carr really makes me glad we have McCown and Warner.

The Texans should be called the Titanic, 'cause that's a sinking ship. New coach/qb next year, guaranteed.

OP
OP
SeattleCard

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Yes. Watching David Leaf...er...Ryan Carr....er....David Carr really makes me glad we have McCown and Warner.

The Texans should be called the Titanic, 'cause that's a sinking ship. New coach/qb next year, guaranteed.

Maybe a new coach next week...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Yes. Watching David Leaf...er...Ryan Carr....er....David Carr

I dont know, I would like to see how he does behind a real oline. He has played behind the worst OL in football 4 years straight now. And this years oline really takes the prize. Worst OL I have seen in a really, really long time.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I dont know, I would like to see how he does behind a real oline. He has played behind the worst OL in football 4 years straight now. And this years oline really takes the prize. Worst OL I have seen in a really, really long time.

Dude, even when he has time he's garbage. He might do better with a new coach, a better o-line, and years of therapy to help him with his nightmares about hearing footsteps, but I've got a hunch he's Tim Couch 2.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I agree joe. No one can complain that he never goes long, because he has no receivers who can get open before the two second pocket collapses around him.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
vince56 said:
and years of therapy to help him with his nightmares about hearing footsteps,

And thats just it, he is damaged goods ever since his rookie year when his OL broke the NFL record for most sacks allowed with 76. They are on pace to break that record again this year by the way. It is a wonder he hasnt been injured more often then he has been.

OP
OP
SeattleCard

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Dude, even when he has time he's garbage. He might do better with a new coach, a better o-line, and years of therapy to help him with his nightmares about hearing footsteps, but I've got a hunch he's Tim Couch 2.

I disagree. I think with a decent Oline and decent receivers, Carr wouldn't be half bad.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Besides Dunta Robinson and Andre Johnson, they have had really bad drafts. They traded 3 picks to get Jason Babin (who was pretty solid last year), but I haven't heard to much of him this year. They are not getting value after the 1st and 2nd rounds of obvious picks....

Their GM needs to go

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SeattleCard said:
I disagree. I think with a decent Oline and decent receivers, Carr wouldn't be half bad.

All of their receivers go 6' plus.... and Andre Johnson is a stud and Gaffney has the tools

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
iT'S NOT

just thw WR's and QB but the whole surrounding cast. They remind me of us during the Plummer years.
Good talent here and there but no "whole" package.
Carr has the tools if he can get what he needs around him. But as someone else mentioned, their GM is lost. Whoever is evaluating the talent on that club, in general, stinks.
Whatever it is, they are definitely underachieving in every category.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious. You guys are pitying the Texan fans? You've won one more game than them. And that was against the second worst team in the league.

:biglaugh:

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
SeaChicken said:
This thread is hilarious. You guys are pitying the Texan fans? You've won one more game than them. And that was against the second worst team in the league.

I pity both them and us, actually. I simply hope Houston gets a 'W' sometime before playing us.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Chicken sh##

noone invited you and your smart ass remarks to the party. Other than a couple of games, actually half of one and the complete other, we've been in every game. AND YES, injuries have taken a real toll on the Cards. So blow it out your ass. Your hags will have their usual melt down real soon.
And there's somewthing to be said about having some EMPATHY, not pity, do you know the difference, it's in book called a dictionary, for another team that's going what you've been through.
By the way, the thread has evolved into how inept their GM has been, after what looked like a team that could rise quickly. Entiende amigo?
See ya 11/6. There will be a vocab test!

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
SeaChicken said:

If you think we have looked as bad as the Texans on a constant basis then you have just proved how freakin' clueless you are. Take a hike, troll.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
vince56 said:
New coach/qb next year, guaranteed.
"With the first pick in the 2006 draft the Houston Texans pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson, University of Virginia."

Paul Tagliabue, April 22, 2006

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good, leinart can go there and fail and everyone can stop talking about him

freebyrd

Reaction score
well i live in fresno where carr played his college ball so i saw a lot of him,
i think he'll be a good quarterback for someone, but he needs to get out of houston,
hopefully it won't be on a stretcher
i say :bhiich: :D
freebyrd

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
You guys pity the Texans fans. The Texans won 7 games last year. It's been a few years since the Cards did that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
earthsci said:
"With the first pick in the 2006 draft the Houston Texans pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson, University of Virginia."

Paul Tagliabue, April 22, 2006

As bad as they need any lineman at this point. Leinart is as close to a "slam dunk, LeBron James" type pick as there is in football.

If someone does trade up to pick him, it will have to be for at least 2 first round picks. I see it as a near certainty that Matt gets picks #1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Pass blocking wise without question, they're sort of a mirror image of us they're not that bad run blocking but they can't pass block.

I'm with you on Carr, it's so hard to judge a player when the OL is THAT bad, is he the new Rob Johnson, or is he just a guy on a team with a terrible OL that never gets a chance if the first option isn't open?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
As bad as they need any lineman at this point. Leinart is as close to a "slam dunk, LeBron James" type pick as there is in football.

If someone does trade up to pick him, it will have to be for at least 2 first round picks. I see it as a near certainty that Matt gets picks #1.
I want to pick Matt Leinart as bad as anyone else might. Nothing is a sure thing in the draft. As Russ pointed out, Leinart has, at the very least, an injured shoulder that will take some time and rest to heal. He's also had a couple of concussions. Look at how far Derrick Johnson fell. When the college football season ended last year he was a top three pick on many boards.

One could argue that Ferguson would be a better pick for almost any team in the NFL. In my mind there are only three classic franchise Left Tackles in the NFL - Pace, Ogden and Jones. Pace and Ogden are getting up in years (for an OL) so Ferguson would be a good pick for the Rams and Ravens as well.

If Houston picks first, they won't pick Leinart.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe Houston has it in them to take the title from the 76 Bucs. That team went scoreless in four games. They were spectacularly bad. Houston's got a long way to go before they can start talking about taking a real shot at the title. Way too early at this point. Lets see them get into double digits without a win and maybe we can start talking. Here's a nice article on those Bucs:

The glory in being the worst
By JOHN ROMANO, Times Sports Columnist
© St. Petersburg Times, published November 5, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAMPA -- Even with no games left to be played, the losing continues.
TAMPA -- Even with no games left to be played, the losing continues.

For members of the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there has been no end to the worst season the NFL has known.

In case you hadn't noticed, Cincinnati won a game Sunday. Nothing meaningful about it, except the Bengals had been the season's last winless team. Which means the '76 Bucs remain alone in their infamy.

The first, and only, team to go 0-14.

"I watch every year," former Bucs linebacker Richard Wood said. "And I keep waiting for somebody to break that record.

"It'd be nice to see, after all these years."

The frustration is understandable, but it is misplaced. Enough is enough. Instead of enduring their misery, I say the Bucs should embrace it.

Revel in the horrid and take pride in the unique. A 1-13 team is merely awful. An 0-14 team is majestically awful.

"I don't foresee sitting in some bar 10 years from now and telling stories about being a member of the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

-- Tight end Bob Moore on Dec. 12, 1976 after loss No. 14.

They gather every year in Miami. A group of former Dolphins who watch, and wait, as the NFL's unbeaten teams fall.

When the last threat is gone, and Miami's 17-0 record in 1972 is safe again, the players celebrate with a champagne toast.

Now that is a worthy tribute to perfection.

But why stop there?

Were the Bucs not as perfect in their own imperfection? So maybe they lost a season, but they gained a legacy.

"There ain't nothing special about losing, but I did learn a lot that season. I learned a lot about never giving up," former Bucs quarterback Parnell Dickinson said. "I met a lot of guys that year that I've become friends with. Close friends. That's what I remember most."

Is that not worth a champagne toast?

Or, at least, a six-pack of Pabst?

"My mother told me there would be days like this. But not every day."

-- Coach John McKay in a postseason address.

The memories are not the same for everyone.

There were some players, such as Steve Spurrier, who had long NFL careers before becoming Bucs. Others, such as Lee Roy Selmon, went on to greater success and were around for Tampa Bay's breakthrough 1979 season.

They can at least remember '76 as the beginning of something grand. Or maybe an appropriate time to end.

It hurts the most for the players who had one shot at the NFL. And wasted it on history's most unproductive team.

There were a lot of those players. By the time Cedric Brown signed in late December, 139 players had passed through One Buc Place in five months.

In those days, the NFL was not terribly interested in parity or fair play. Not only was there no free agency, but the expansion draft was stacked against Tampa Bay and Seattle. The new teams had only hours to study the list of available players before the expansion draft began.

That meant no medical reports and no way of knowing what condition the players were in. The '76 Bucs had a remarkable string of injuries and most were because they had been saddled with a brittle collection of veterans.

"We talked about it a lot after the success of '79, but I don't know that "fond' would be the right word for it," said Bucs general manager Rich McKay, who was a ballboy for his father's team in '76. "More than anything, my dad was frustrated by the process. He felt like they really didn't give the team a chance to compete.

"It was a depressing year to be around. Monday was always the best day of the week, because you knew you were six days away from the next game. As the week went on, it got progressively worse."

"Tampa Bay is playing like the 1965 Steelers. They're probably using the same players, too."

-- Pittsburgh center Ray Mansfield, a member of the Steelers' 2-12 team in 1965, after beating the Bucs 42-0.

For a team that was outscored 412-125, the Bucs managed to provide a few moments of suspense.

In Week 3, they were beaten 14-9 by Buffalo. In mid October, they lost by a field goal in consecutive games against Seattle and Miami.

Appropriately enough, they saved the worst for last.

The 0-13 Bucs finished at home against the 10-3 Patriots. New England was headed to the playoffs and coach Chuck Fairbanks rewarded the players by bringing the team to Tampa Bay several days early for some fun and sun.

Whether the Patriots were distracted by their mini vacation, or the Bucs just played that well, Tampa Bay had a 14-7 lead late in the third quarter.

Even after the Patriots scored a tying touchdown, the Bucs had a chance. Tampa Bay drove into New England territory with seven minutes remaining before Spurrier threw an interception that was returned 68 yards for a touchdown.

Not only would the Bucs go on to lose, they suffered one more humiliation before the season was complete.

New England's Steve Grogan was one score away from setting the NFL record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback. With a 24-14 lead and 6 seconds remaining, the Patriots called a timeout so Grogan could score from 1 yard out and set the record with 12. And, still, it was not enough.

Linebacker Steve Zabel talked New England coaches into letting him kick the extra point.

That was how Tampa Bay's '76 season ended.

"Living it was enough. I certainly don't want to re-live it."

-- Author and defensive end Pat Toomay, when asked whether he was considering writing a book about the '76 Bucs.

Memories have faded and hairlines have receded, but the '76 season lives on. Sure, the NFL has seen other busts along the way. Baltimore was 0-8-1 in the '82 strike season, while several teams since have gone 1-15.

But none has matched the Bucs for optimum misery.

"In our last meeting, McKay asked how many of us were going to stay in Tampa during the offseason," punter Dave Green said. "I was rooming with his son (receiver J.K. McKay) at the time and we both raised our hands. He said, "Fine, stop by my office tomorrow and pick up some fake noses and mustaches so no one recognizes your sorry a----.'

"We both dropped our hands real slowly."

Tampa Bay went on to start 0-12 in '77 to take the losing streak to an unprecedented 26. When it finally won, Dec. 11, 1977, at New Orleans, Green likened the celebration at One Buc Place to a Super Bowl party with fans climbing atop the team bus.

It was, in retrospect, the end of an era. The final chapter for a team of loss and lore.

No one, before or since, has traveled such a lonely road as the '76 Buccaneers.

They were, in a word, perfect.

Last edited: