Tempe's iconic Monti's La Casa Vieja closing Nov. 17

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tempe's iconic Monti's La Casa Vieja closing Nov. 17

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ic-montis-la-casa-vieja-closing-nov/18436845/

You must be registered for see images attach

Tempe's iconic Monti's La Casa Vieja, the oldest restaurant in the city and which is housed in the historic Hayden House on Mill Avenue, will close on Nov. 17 after nearly 60 years in business, restaurant owner Michael Monti confirmed Monday.

Monti said that for some time he's been interested in arranging developments around the Hayden House and, due to growing operating costs of the restaurant, he decided to sell.

On Oct. 29, The Republic reported that the new owner of the property plans to develop two high-rise towers on the site, raising speculation about the future of the downtown restaurant that has been the gathering place for countless groups through the years and known Valley-wide for its steak, Roman bread and historic memorabilia.

"In this case, the primary factor really is cost of beef and cost of doing business," Monti said of the decision to close.

Monti's father, Leonard, bought the Hayden House in 1954 and opened Las Casa Vieja in 1956. The Hayden House, believed to be built in the 1870s, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

The house, where Arizona politician Carl Hayden was born in 1877, will be preserved and be part of the $200 million office and hotel project on the southwestern corner of Mill Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway.

Monti said that the closing is bittersweet but that he has faith in the proposed project, along with the developers, which aim to keep the historical significance of the Hayden House intact.

"They are willing to do something worthy with the land and historic structure," Monti said. "The tradition and history aren't going away."

Monti said he has no plans to open another restaurant because the cost he would have to incur to stay in business would alter the experience that customers have come to count on at the original steakhouse. He will instead be focusing on his family.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quality has gone down hill over the past dozen years or so.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I bet. I haven't been there since my Jr year in college. That was 14 years ago. Still sad to see that place close. We used to go there (along with Rustlers Rooste) all the time when we were little.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the first restaurants that I ate at when I first moved out here in 1996. Thought it was just OK.

Still with how expensive beef has become. I can't imagine how an average at best steak house can stay in business. How many people are willing to pay $35-40 for a decent steak?

Hopefully this winter will bring some good snow to take a bite out of this drought. The water shortage in the west is a big reason for these high prices on produce and beef.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Maybe so, I haven't been there in years. I know it was my parents' favorite place to go (back in the day). We had many great family celebrations there. It is a piece of history in more ways than one.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow,,,wasn't expecting this,,,

Since 1975,,my family members and I have enjoyed Monti's as the place to take out-of-state visitors to the Valley.... Always had good meals, at reasonable prices. The history within the walls of the 'Old House' was worth the trip there often, imo. I'm surprised that Monti would close in November.....when the winter birds, the Tempe Block Party, football games, B-Jackson and other auto auctions in town during January, plus the Super Bowl attraction. Too bad they couldn't wait until late February/March to officially close. I'll try to eat there one more time before they close....I need to get the recipe' for that Roman bread > yummy!

MEMORIES

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard