Tell me about your fabulous HD-TVs

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently come into some money via fantasy football, Christmas and a cash settlement and am going to treat myself to a new tv. (I am looking forward to the sales around Super Bowl time.) I want a flat screen, HD and nothing too big (meaning larger than 40-something) because my place is rather small.

I have heard Sony and Samsung are good, but I am rather ignorant on the topic of nice, big ND, LCD, and yada, yada, yada stuff since I am just beginning to research this.

So, share your positive and negative experiences, please and thank you.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with either a Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or even Vizio for a flat screen LCD. I personally would stay away from Plasma but that is just my preferance.

Definitely get 42 inches Jersey and nothing less. That is the perfect size and will still be adequate if you get a bigger place. Dont short yourself. Especially with getting High Def. IMO you want to get as much screen as you can.

I would also make sure the TV is capable of a full 1080p. JMHO!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I love the mitsubishi DLP's. Good price great picture.

I know 4 people with them including my self. Great tv.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dag. Reading this title thread from the main section I knew it was Jersey that made this thread just because of the word fabulous in it.. lol..

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jersey, funny you made this thread b/c I am planning on getting an HD TV soon (in the next 2 months or so) with help from christmas/birthday gift cards, and some money I've saved up.

I, too, have heard to go with either Sony or Samsung. 1080p is the best you can get, but apparently the benefits are not obvious at screen sizes less than 50 inches (I am sure this is a debatable statement) However, Bluray and HD dvd players will play at 1080p. So if you get a TV that is 720p, the picture can only go up to the 720p, despite the 1080p playing dvd player.

Check out cnet.com and they have an LCD vs Plasma article. I'm going LCD, for sure.

Anyway, that is about all I know on this topic, and I will be checking this thread out to see what other people say!

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have 4 of the mitsubishi DLP's at work, 2 50" and 2 60". I'm not fond of them at all. If I'm gonna have to replace bulbs I'd rather just stick with the projector I use in my home setup.

I like Samsung the best w/ Sony a close 2nd. I've got my eye on the LN-T5271F waiting for the price to go down a little more. It's 52", but they make a 40" version that's running around $1400. I've not seen the 40" version other than online, but if it's close to the 52" in picture quality, I've seen nothing better. JMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My oldest boy worked in tv sales for best buy for a while. He says Panasonic Plasma or Samsung LCD are best bets.

Of course I tend to favor Samsung products because they have a large plant here in Austin. Gotta support the local economy.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, too, have heard to go with either Sony or Samsung. 1080p is the best you can get, but apparently the benefits are not obvious at screen sizes less than 50 inches (I am sure this is a debatable statement) However, Bluray and HD dvd players will play at 1080p. So if you get a TV that is 720p, the picture can only go up to the 720p, despite the 1080p playing dvd player.

Cool! Yeah, I think I'll go with 1080p. I have already decided against plasma.

My oldest boy worked in tv sales for best buy for a while. He says Panasonic Plasma or Samsung LCD are best bets.

Of course I tend to favor Samsung products because they have a large plant here in Austin. Gotta support the local economy.

Cool. Thanks!

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 42" LG LCD and I have been very happy with it. Watching sports in HD is great.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258048&type=product&id=1169857637051

I have 4 of the mitsubishi DLP's at work, 2 50" and 2 60". I'm not fond of them at all. If I'm gonna have to replace bulbs I'd rather just stick with the projector I use in my home setup.

I like Samsung the best w/ Sony a close 2nd. I've got my eye on the LN-T5271F waiting for the price to go down a little more. It's 52", but they make a 40" version that's running around $1400. I've not seen the 40" version other than online, but if it's close to the 52" in picture quality, I've seen nothing better. JMO.

Thanks to you both!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have a 4 year old 55 inch projection Mitsubishi HDTV that I loved until I bought a 32 inch Vizio LCD for the bedroom. Go LCD. Vizios are great for the price.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No less than 42" girl!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No less than 42" girl!

ABSOLUTELY agree. Screen size is much more important than choosing between technologies.

I echo a lot of things that have already been said here. If you are going to go plasma, you pretty much should choose Panasonic.

If you are considering LCD, I'd consider Samsung, Sony, Mitsubishi, Visio, in that order.

I have owned a couple of the Mitsubishi sets that others here have talked about. They are a pretty good set for the money, but the Mitsubishi had design flaws that I couldn't live with. Mitsubishi TV's also have the shortest amount of bulb life of most of the major manufacturers.

Something that no one has mentioned, but I would get an extended warranty either through the place you purchase the TV from, or from the manufacturer. If you can, get a warranty that includes bulb replacement.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that no one has mentioned, but I would get an extended warranty either through the place you purchase the TV from, or from the manufacturer. If you can, get a warranty that includes bulb replacement.

This is an absolute MUST.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I would go with either a Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or even Vizio for a flat screen LCD. I personally would stay away from Plasma but that is just my preferance.

Definitely get 42 inches Jersey and nothing less. That is the perfect size and will still be adequate if you get a bigger place. Dont short yourself. Especially with getting High Def. IMO you want to get as much screen as you can.

I would also make sure the TV is capable of a full 1080p. JMHO!

I totally agree with this!

I just finished shopping around for a TV and those are all the brands I looked at. I finally went with a Vizio 47" LCD (VW47LF.) It's a great TV, does 1080p, 3 HDMI and only ran around $1300 at Walmart. The picture is fantastic, and I couldn't be happier with it. Vizio is a good brand if you want to save a little money and still get a good list of features.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a couple of the Mitsubishi sets that others here have talked about. They are a pretty good set for the money, but the Mitsubishi had design flaws that I couldn't live with. Mitsubishi TV's also have the shortest amount of bulb life of most of the major manufacturers.

For some reason the manufacturer bulb has a short shelf life. The replacement bulb is on par with other DLP's. I think Mits and Sumsung have my favorite DLP's out there.

Every TV out there has highs and lows. Someday they will manufacture a TV that sings from the heavens above. If they build it....I will come. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason the manufacturer bulb has a short shelf life. The replacement bulb is on par with other DLP's. I think Mits and Sumsung have my favorite DLP's out there.

Every TV out there has highs and lows. Someday they will manufacture a TV that sings from the heavens above. If they build it....I will come. :D

For some reason?

I'm sure it is by design. :)

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the same thread myself a few lines down the page.

46" Sony arriving today

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on Brands.

Samsung and Sony looked way better, got the Sony based on deal we found at Amazon.

btw: If you buy from Amazon, once the shipment gets into town, don't wait for trucking company to call you. It turns out they are notoriously slow unless you call them the box will sit for days.

Could have had our TV last week had we known that