Super Bowl LVIII (58)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can’t get an extension until after 2024. Niners window has one more year open it looks like. Roster getting older and their top guys have injury stuff and Purdy, Aiyuk, and others pending big paydays. This was probably their year, Greenlaw done for 2024 as well likely since he popped his Achilles last night.
Sucks for Purdy, sucks for the rest of the NFC West, great for SF.

They do have, as noted, a lot of other guys needing extensions.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

When I watched this and saw them take the FG I knew they were doomed.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight but 4th and 4 and only 8 yards to go to win the SB, and keep the ball out of Mahomes hands. I'm taking it.

Taking the 3 and giving them the chance to drive for a TD win was begging to lose against a QB and HC as experienced as Mahomes and Reid.

This was the play where the game was lost for the Niners. Or two plays I guess as they blew the 3rd down.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Multiple 49er players are admitting they had no clue the overtime rules changed for the playoffs

Meanwhile, chiefs are all saying, not only did they know, but it’s been covered since training camp and multiple scenarios have been practiced and mapped out

Not sure what difference it makes?

The old rules were 1st team to score a TD wins. That was still the Chiefs. Even under the old rules if Niners kicked a FG the Chiefs can still drive for a TD to win. Which is what happened.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know it's easy to say in hindsight but 4th and 4 and only 8 yards to go to win the SB, and keep the ball out of Mahomes hands. I'm taking it.

Taking the 3 and giving them the chance to drive for a TD win was begging to lose against a QB and HC as experienced as Mahomes and Reid.

This was the play where the game was lost for the Niners. Or two plays I guess as they blew the 3rd down.
A touchdown wouldn't have won - KC was getting the ball back regardless.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Brit, I don't know that I agree worth you on that statement.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A touchdown wouldn't have won - KC was getting the ball back regardless.

Sorry yes, badly worded.

I meant no chance of losing on the next Chiefs drive. As soon as they settled for 3 I knew the Chiefs were scoring a TD. Chiefs could always settle for 3. With the pressure to score a TD on that drive it's a different game and the defense can play a different way.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It seems like pure Monday Morning QB'ing.

The 49ers got the ball first and drove it down the field all the way to the 5. A holding call on 2 and 2 (IIRC) killed the drive.

Heck of a game and glad SF didn't win. :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry yes, badly worded.

I meant no chance of losing on the next Chiefs drive. As soon as they settled for 3 I knew the Chiefs were scoring a TD.
Unless of course Reid went for 2.

Which would have to be a consideration since if KC had tied it up, it goes to sudden death with SF getting the back back.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like pure Monday Morning QB'ing.

The 49ers got the ball first and drove it down the field all the way to the 5. A holding call on 2 and 2 (IIRC) killed the drive.

Heck of a game and glad SF didn't win. :)
Alternately, you could say SF would have gone three and out if not for a holding call on KC away from the play.

And 100% on your last statement

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit, I don't know that I agree worth you on that statement.

That's fine :) But they were 8 yards from a TD and 4 from a 1st down in the superbowl. I think you have to have the cajones to go for it with the whole deal on the line.

The Niners did it earlier in the game, going for it on 4th down from a much worse position, and scored I believe.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sucks for Purdy, sucks for the rest of the NFC West, great for SF.

They do have, as noted, a lot of other guys needing extensions.
The Rams and Cardinals didn't even really try to win this year. The road will be tougher for SF in 2024 since the division will be much more competitive and odds less likely they don't get the first round bye.

And from there - does anyone really think Purdy can win 4 playoff games in a row and that CMC, Kittle, Deebo, etc can all stay healthy another year?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rams and Cardinals didn't even really try to win this year. The road will be tougher for SF in 2024 since the division will be much more competitive and odds less likely they don't get the first round bye.

And from there - does anyone really think Purdy can win 4 playoff games in a row and that CMC, Kittle, Deebo, etc can all stay healthy another year?
CMC staying healthy his whole time in SF has been amazing - and just the Cards anti-luck.

Kittle is tough, but got banged up yesterday.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure but it will be with a worst roster and I expect their division to be better with Harbaugh added in. Bengals get back Burrow...

The AFC is loaded compared to the NFC.

The Chargers salary cap situation is a catastrophe. They may be better coached, but they are likely to be much less talented.

I don't know how many times Mahomes and the Chiefs have to prove that their floor is the AFC Championship game. They just completed the toughest playoff run ever by DVOA. Their OL and WR corps isn't going to get worse this offseason.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not sure what difference it makes?

The old rules were 1st team to score a TD wins. That was still the Chiefs. Even under the old rules if Niners kicked a FG the Chiefs can still drive for a TD to win. Which is what happened.
but under the new rules even if the niners had scored 7 the chefs still got a chance to tie.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because you can't give up a 1st round pick to move up one to three spots for a QB, you might end up with Zach Wilson or worse.
What?!? Teams do it all the time in EVERY draft. They gamble. And for the Chiefs it paid off.

In the same draft the Bears moved up ONE spot to draft that Bust Trubiski for a haul.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The pass to Aiyuk right down the middle was the simpler, easier throw to make. But it looks like his first option was to the outside after the receiver had to make spin move, which took a bit longer to develop. Hindsight is 20 to 20. They no longer have Montana who would have nailed the pass even with the pressure. I really like what Purdy has done, but he is not next level or a future hall of famer.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yeah, well, if the 49ers hold Mahomes to three, then it's sudden death, and they have the ball.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure but it will be with a worst roster and I expect their division to be better with Harbaugh added in. Bengals get back Burrow...

The AFC is loaded compared to the NFC.
The AFC will be tough regardless that is for sure. I do disagree on their roster issues a bit.

1 - It is a great draft for WR and OL so I feel, like most teams, they can address some issues if they hit on a few of their picks. Basically, any WR they take in the first two rounds should be an upgrade over what they have.

2 - They show as 24 mil under the cap. They can open up another 22 mil by cutting MVS and S Justin Reid. They only have 4 FAs who played over 60% of snaps. Sneed, Mike Danna (edge), Chris Jones, and Donovan Smith. Smith made 3 mil this season. I feel like this will be enough to figure some answers out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard