Super Bowl LVIII (58)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No turnovers for Purdy though. He didn't lose the game them and that was a pretty salty defense he was up against. Stupid 49ers sitting pretty as long as he keeps playing like a top 10 QB.

He'll regress to the mean though. He has to.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Facts. I was legit furious at any NFC team fan for rooting for SF.
why not just enjoy being in the best division in football??

over the past two decades the NFCWest has appeared in 45 percent of the super bowls played.

I was rooting for the chefs, but the niners winning wouldnt hurt my feelings. Steel sharpens steel, and playing the champs twice a year makes us a better team in the long haul. Seeing our division rivals hoisting the Lombardi can only motivate our guys to work harder.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No turnovers for Purdy though. He didn't lose the game them and that was a pretty salty defense he was up against. Stupid 49ers sitting pretty as long as he keeps playing like a top 10 QB.

protecting the ball while losing the super bowl...isnt that why they got rid of Jimmy G??

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
but under the new rules even if the niners had scored 7 the chefs still got a chance to tie.
I know there were a couple of different reasonings why people are upset/questioning the 9'ers taking the ball first instead of deferring. As it turned out, they should have deferred, then they would absolutely have gone for the first/td on the fourth down play.

It's all a coaching decision. Just like on here, there is always more than one way to look at things, Eben simple things. Being right or wrong is determined by the final outcome.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hmmm... I like it oaken1! Maybe this is the beginning of the end for cinderella. :)
I wouldnt discount shanahan yet. It took reid a while to start winning big games...and shanahan, with the game on the line, was adept enough to call a time out...walk over to steve wilks, and promptly say, "ah hell no man...what the fudge are you thinking? we aint running THAT damn defense right now..change it!"
thus, the niners hung on a little bit longer

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
When I watched this and saw them take the FG I knew they were doomed.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight but 4th and 4 and only 8 yards to go to win the SB, and keep the ball out of Mahomes hands. I'm taking it.

Taking the 3 and giving them the chance to drive for a TD win was begging to lose against a QB and HC as experienced as Mahomes and Reid.

This was the play where the game was lost for the Niners. Or two plays I guess as they blew the 3rd down.
That wouldn't have won it, though...you're sounding like Tony Romo, who apparently didn't pay attention to the rule change. He said the exact same thing during telecast...and he was wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pass to Aiyuk right down the middle was the simpler, easier throw to make. But it looks like his first option was to the outside after the receiver had to make spin move, which took a bit longer to develop. Hindsight is 20 to 20. They no longer have Montana who would have nailed the pass even with the pressure. I really like what Purdy has done, but he is not next level or a future hall of famer.

Yeah, Purdy was looking to go to the sideline receiver (who looked to be open) but Ayiuk came open earlier over the middle.

That's the problem with locking onto a receiver, but he was under tremendous pressure and had to get rid of the ball.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think Purdy not making plays in the big moments while Mahomes did was the difference.

Purdy had a better team around him. I mean how often does a QB start on an offense with five All Pros?

Where Purdy really struggled was with interior pressure. Watching Jones collapse the middle of the pocket just shows you why the Cardinals have to find someone like him (or just sign him).

Purdy is a good, not great QB. He can get you there, but when the game is on him, he struggled. I felt like this was a Super Bowl that the Niners lost; a few better plays and that game was a rout, but the Niners didn't separate like they could have.

In no way do I feel that the better team won... I feel like the better QB won.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldnt discount shanahan yet. It took reid a while to start winning big games...and shanahan, with the game on the line, was adept enough to call a time out...walk over to steve wilks, and promptly say, "ah hell no man...what the fudge are you thinking? we aint running THAT damn defense right now..change it!"
thus, the niners hung on a little bit longer
Hopefully Shanahan will be coaching a different team when he starts winning the big games

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think Purdy not making plays in the big moments while Mahomes did was the difference.

Purdy had a better team around him. I mean how often does a QB start on an offense with five All Pros?

Where Purdy really struggled was with interior pressure. Watching Jones collapse the middle of the pocket just shows you why the Cardinals have to find someone like him (or just sign him).

Purdy is a good, not great QB. He can get you there, but when the game is on him, he struggled. I felt like this was a Super Bowl that the Niners lost; a few better plays and that game was a rout, but the Niners didn't separate like they could have.

The niners have developed this identity of having a risk adverse QB and trying to make up for it with other pieces.
But you have to take chances to win.
You don't want a QB who throws stupid INT's.... But all the great QB's throw picks...the difference is, when they throw the forty yards frozen rope into a shoebox size window and complete it they are stars...you accept the INT with a Favre or Elway because they win the game on that play more often than they lose it.... Niners QB's won't even make the throw.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Two thoughts on the Chiefs:

1. we talk all the time about QBs that elevate the play of the people around him: Patrick Mahomes just took and offense with two shaky OTs and a bunch of no-name WRs and won a SB. 2 months ago I figured the Chiefs had just found the limit of how little they could invest in offense and still win.

2. They put together a really good D with late round picks.

Karlaftis and Duffie are the two first rounders -- 30th and 21st
then a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks + some mid level UFAs

Chris Jones was pick 37 (same year the Cards took Nkemdiche btw).

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
why not just enjoy being in the best division in football??

over the past two decades the NFCWest has appeared in 45 percent of the super bowls played.

I was rooting for the chefs, but the niners winning wouldnt hurt my feelings. Steel sharpens steel, and playing the champs twice a year makes us a better team in the long haul. Seeing our division rivals hoisting the Lombardi can only motivate our guys to work harder.
I take no solace from the Niners, Rams, & Seahawks success. I could care less about the "greatness of the division". Years of being in the 'best division" in football, yet still the janitors when we were in the NFC East will do that to you. My hatred is complete and absolute. Them winning yesterday would have increased their derision of us Cardinals fans incrementally. I'd rather not deal with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Two thoughts on the Chiefs:

1. we talk all the time about QBs that elevate the play of the people around him: Patrick Mahomes just took and offense with two shaky OTs and a bunch of no-name WRs and won a SB. 2 months ago I figured the Chiefs had just found the limit of how little they could invest in offense and still win.

2. They put together a really good D with late round picks.

Karlaftis and Duffie are the two first rounders -- 30th and 21st
then a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks + some mid level UFAs

Chris Jones was pick 37 (same year the Cards took Nkemdiche btw).
Their defense also just went 21 games without surrendering 28 points in a game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there were a couple of different reasonings why people are upset/questioning the 9'ers taking the ball first instead of deferring. As it turned out, they should have deferred, then they would absolutely have gone for the first/td on the fourth down play.

It's all a coaching decision. Just like on here, there is always more than one way to look at things, Eben simple things. Being right or wrong is determined by the final outcome.

I;'m assuming you mean in OT? If so that's been discussed to death today in the bay area. Shanahan said he took the ball because the defense was exhausted. Between the injuries and the fatigue factor he decided to put his offense out there first so his defense could rest. He was well aware that Mahomes was going to get the ball no matter what.

My big complaint would be given the situation I think they should have gone for it rather than kicking the FG. I think they got "spooked" by 2 plays, the play before it where CMC got stuffed for no gain, and the play a few plays earlier when Mitchell went around right end but it got called back for a hold on the backup TE. The feeling is Shanahan was afraid if they ran it on 3rd down and didn't get it, they'd have to kick the FG, so he threw the ball on 3rd down but it was incomplete due to pass rush so he had to kick it. Had he ran the ball on 3rd down and gained yards he may have had more choice on 4th.

Interestingly apparently the coaches were furious with Mitchell, not the TE for the hold. Despite the look of the play, it was apparently NOT designed to go outside but Mitchell broke it out and then the TE grabbed and held trying to help him get the corner. Apparently the coaches said the entire penalty is Mitchell's fault for trying to go wide.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The niners have developed this identity of having a risk adverse QB and trying to make up for it with other pieces.
But you have to take chances to win.
You don't want a QB who throws stupid INT's.... But all the great QB's throw picks...the difference is, when they throw the forty yards frozen rope into a shoebox size window and complete it they are stars...you accept the INT with a Favre or Elway because they win the game on that play more often than they lose it.... Niners QB's won't even make the throw.

So to be clear, you're saying the guy who threw for almost 4200 yards and 31 TD's, averaging 9.6 YPC, is afraid to throw the ball downfield? Purdy is not Mahomes, but he's not even close to Jimmy G when it comes to taking shots.

KC has really good CB's, it was obvious Deebo, and Kittle, were both playing hurt, so KC was able to stop the downfield throws. Clearly he's played better in the past but he played well enough to win that game. The fumble by CMC ended a likely TD drive in the first series, and the punt that hit the guys foot gave KC a TD. Take away those 2 plays, neither of which Purdy had any fault, and they win easily.

As great as Mahomes is let's not forget he didn't see a wide open WR, for the game winning TD, in regulation and they wound up kicking the tying FG as a result.

If they had lost that game in OT we'd all be talking about that play now.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think purdy looked limited in the second half. He was thrown off by the pressure that KC threw at him. When he had to have big plays late in the game he made some, but not enough. It felt like both teams/QB’s were kind of just playing it safe and were willing to take sacks and throw aways and play for the next series.

No one is ever going to be fresh down the stretch of the season. Deebo, cmc, and kittle are always going to be banged up. It’s been said a lot already. The game came down to the end and KC were better at QB and their defense is always better than it gets credit for being. I think the better team won. SF is not better than KC and Baltimore. That was the Super Bowl.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I didn't watch every single play, but I agree it seemed like SF had the chance to build up a bigger 1st half lead. 1,000%. Didn't CMC put it on the ground for the first time in like 200 touches or something? wow.

And yeah Krang just think if we could find our version Aaron Donald. A guy who could disrupt everything right at the point of attack.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think purdy looked limited in the second half. He was thrown off by the pressure that KC threw at him. When he had to have big plays late in the game he made some, but not enough. It felt like both teams/QB’s were kind of just playing it safe and were willing to take sacks and throw aways and play for the next series.

No one is ever going to be fresh down the stretch of the season. Deebo, cmc, and kittle are always going to be banged up. It’s been said a lot already. The game came down to the end and KC were better at QB and their defense is always better than it gets credit for being. I think the better team won. SF is not better than KC and Baltimore. That was the Super Bowl.
Eh I think player for player, SF is better. KC might have a better overall OL and secondary but every other position SF is better, and in some cases, substantially.

Receivers. Hands down SF is a lot better.
RB. Again, a lot better.
OL. Debatable.
DL. SF has a ton of front line talent and good backups to boot.
LB. SF again is better. Warner is a great player and Greenlaw is pretty good too.
Secondary. KC gets the edge but SFs secondary is solid as well.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh I think player for player, SF is better. KC might have a better overall OL and secondary but every other position SF is better, and in some cases, substantially.

Receivers. Hands down SF is a lot better.
RB. Again, a lot better.
OL. Debatable.
DL. SF has a ton of front line talent and good backups to boot.
LB. SF again is better. Warner is a great player and Greenlaw is pretty good too.
Secondary. KC gets the edge but SFs secondary is solid as well.
I think you’re very much underestimating Kansas City‘s defense

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort