Super Bowl LVIII (58)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple 49er players are admitting they had no clue the overtime rules changed for the playoffs

Meanwhile, chiefs are all saying, not only did they know, but it’s been covered since training camp and multiple scenarios have been practiced and mapped out

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Multiple 49er players are admitting they had no clue the overtime rules changed for the playoffs

Meanwhile, chiefs are all saying, not only did they know, but it’s been covered since training camp and multiple scenarios have been practiced and mapped out

Kyle Shanahan is Andy Reid before he got Patrick Mahomes.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They knew more than me. I thought the game was over if the overtime quarter ended and was screaming about the clock being at 3 seconds left.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score

I guess it would have been an amusing scenario if the 49ers had scored a TD instead of FG on first drive in OT. Many 49ers players would be celebrating thinking they had won the game.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chiefs will be sitting with 22 million in cap space before restructures / cuts. MVS has to be the prime cut candidate with a 13 million dollar cap hit and only 2 million in dead space.

43% of their cap will be ate up by Mahomes, their RT, and RG.

They have some real holes to fill. Chris Jones is a free agent. LaJarius Sneed a FA. They have no LT. Hardman a FA and MVS likely a cut the only receiver left is Toney, who is terrible.

I believe it will be a tough road for the Chiefs to get back to the SB.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile the 49ers have no salary cap of any kind available. Less than 1 million. I see how they can make maybe 10 million in cap space with extensions but is Brock Purdy going to play for the league minimum as the starting QB for the NFC champions 2 years in a row?

I would think he would demand an extension. The 49ers have a much easier path back than the Chiefs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Meanwhile the 49ers have no salary cap of any kind available. Less than 1 million. I see how they can make maybe 10 million in cap space with extensions but is Brock Purdy going to play for the league minimum as the starting QB for the NFC champions 2 years in a row?

I would think he would demand an extension. The 49ers have a much easier path back than the Chiefs.

He's going to have to, because he can't re-up his deal until after next year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's going to have to, because he can't re-up his deal until after next year.

You are correct that is crazy. The NFL PA really screwed the pooch there.

This is Purdy's ceiling. The fact he can't capitalize on it sucks for him.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

When you have Mahomes there’s always a path back.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They knew more than me. I thought the game was over if the overtime quarter ended and was screaming about the clock being at 3 seconds left.
I asked that question on this thread, then they covered on the broadcast

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chiefs will be sitting with 22 million in cap space before restructures / cuts. MVS has to be the prime cut candidate with a 13 million dollar cap hit and only 2 million in dead space.

43% of their cap will be ate up by Mahomes, their RT, and RG.

They have some real holes to fill. Chris Jones is a free agent. LaJarius Sneed a FA. They have no LT. Hardman a FA and MVS likely a cut the only receiver left is Toney, who is terrible.

I believe it will be a tough road for the Chiefs to get back to the SB.
Jones is a beast - their leader on D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is going to be a big issue - Purdy SHOULD demand an extension/huge raise, since one snap can end your career.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That is going to be a big issue - Purdy SHOULD demand an extension/huge raise, since one snap can end your career.
He can’t get an extension until after 2024. Niners window has one more year open it looks like. Roster getting older and their top guys have injury stuff and Purdy, Aiyuk, and others pending big paydays. This was probably their year, Greenlaw done for 2024 as well likely since he popped his Achilles last night.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even crazier, his bonus for playing in the SB ($89k) this year is 12k higher than his entire signing bonus ($77k).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The NFLPA's job is to protect veterans, not rookies. It's a win for them if 2-3 veterans get paid a second or third contract and Purdy has to play in purgatory for another year.

It's also a win for the club to get another data point season on Purdy.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting this info? I would like to read up on it some. o_O:).
Thx.
Could be an assumption based on Kyle calling a TO and overruling Wilks in a key defensive play, that ended up failing anyways.