Suns @ Warriors Friday game thread 12-27-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday the Suns start a tough four game road trip beginning with the Warriors followed by games at the Kings, Trail Blazers and Lakers.

Warriors and Suns are two teams gong in different directions. Golden State (8-24) has won three games in a row including a nationally televised 116-104 win over the Rockets on Christmas Day.

Suns (11-19) have lost seven games in a row.

Game time is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. MST (Arizona time).

It will be televised on FSAZ.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The Suns will finally break through and win this one. They are rediscovering that they need to work hard on the defensive end to have a fighting chance.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will finally break through and win this one. They are rediscovering that they need to work hard on the defensive end to have a fighting chance.

I hope the Suns work extra hard because their winning percentage is .367.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

#Suns coach Monty Williams still characterized Deandre Ayton’s status (sprained ankle) as day-to-day. Williams said Ayton did more in practice than he did two days ago, but that he still has soreness/discomfort that is “not something you want to linger for the rest of the year.”

11:20 AM - 26 Dec 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he’s unofficially shut down.

Suns are still listing Ayton as day-to-day but it sure feels that way.

Ty Jerome missed 20 games with a sprained ankle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the Suns play the Warriors and Kings in back-to-back games on Friday and Saturday respectively, I doubt the Suns bring Ayton back earlier than Monday against the Trail Blazers or Wednesday against the Lakers.

Perhaps a more likely return date is January 3rd at home against the Knicks. This is the Suns first game home after the 4 game road trip. This starts a very favorable 5 game home stand to get some wins.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good lord. What a wasted season for that guy.
Just hope he learned his lesson, and will work extra hard. Because for all his talk about "they put me through hell", he still was far from game shape in his comeback. Have to think that it could have contributed to the injury. He's got to continue to get stronger overall.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Just hope he learned his lesson, and will work extra hard. Because for all his talk about "they put me through hell", he still was far from game shape in his comeback. Have to think that it could have contributed to the injury. He's got to continue to get stronger overall.

If by that you mean “rusty” then I can buy it. If he’s not in game shape from a conditioning perspective it’s worrisome. He looked fine in the first game of the season and only played 3 preseason games at 20 mpg.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns might need to limit Ayton's minutes when he does return.

Coming back from an ankle sprain might be harder than coming back from the suspension in regard to conditioning.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If by that you mean “rusty” then I can buy it. If he’s not in game shape from a conditioning perspective it’s worrisome. He looked fine in the first game of the season and only played 3 preseason games at 20 mpg.

That is difficult to evaluate. You're not in game shape until you play enough games.

That is why I'm so disappointed in what he did to the Suns.

He cost them not only a quarter of the season.

He was just now starting the process all over again. Which is why he may have been
susceptible to an injury.

And when he comes back, whether at, or less than, 100%, the process will start again.

We have literally lost him as a full-time starter for half or three-quarters of the season.

And then the games will be meaningless. And the double teaming of Booker will continue.

(Mods, I wish there were a font size of 3.5. When a post prints in two difference sizes,
and you try to coordinate them, 3 prints too small and 4 prints too large.)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my concerns is keeping Aron Baynes healthy. I don't want to lose Baynes because he has to play starter's minutes. He has been a career backup center. I don't think Baynes has looked the same after injuries to his hip and left calf strain. His leaping ability doesn't seem to be quite the same.

Baynes has averaged 15.5 minutes per game over his career but the last two games he has played 30 and 32 minutes. I'd rather be conservative using Baynes so the Suns have both centers available when Ayton returns even if that means playing Diallo more.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know I never played at these guys levels. When I was a teen, and playing basketball, I was twisting my ankles all the time. I started doing calf raises. Tons of them. I worked myself up over 400 pounds on the calf raise machine. To this day I rarely ever twist my ankles, and I was doing it a lot pre calf raise machine. I wonder if NBA players work on their calves. Some of them look like they have really skinny calves. You would think they would really work on this with the amount of times they step or land on other players feet.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There were worries about fatigue when Ayton returned, questions about whether he should be on a minute watch because practice cannot simulate game speed. The team seemed aware of these concerns but then chucked them out the window once the game started. Fatigue lends itself to injuries, especially muscle pulls and sprains. He played 24 minutes in that game despite not playing a moment of the 4th quarter.

I like Monty's game planning, I like the mentality he has instilled in the players, we're in almost every game, fighting to the end... but man... his rotations and in game management some work.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
We must win this one. Stop the slide. Is that Curry son back? I hope someone nuts the complain face PF they have. Not Willy Green. Was it Nilly? Nelly? George?

Looking for defensive intensity again, and some initiative from Booker and Oubre. When they coast (on both sides) we're done for. Cannot count on Baynes any longer so I hope Carter and Bridges get after it, and some aggressiveness from our "bigs", handsome Frank and Saric.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tipoff.

And Suns control tip.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric cleans up miss on Booker drive to the basket +1.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre out of the game early with 2 personal fouls.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timeout.

Suns off to early 18-11 lead.

Saric (9) is the Suns leading scorer.

Forum statistics

Threads