Suns versus Spurs 1-14- 17 (Mexico City)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's 10x better when the offense goes through him

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you watched on NBA TV, but those announcers were terrible. Everyone was "Booker" or "Ginobli". Gasol got called Ginobli. Parker got called Ginobli. Chriss and Bledsoe got called Booker time and time again. It was quite befuddling to hear these guys hack their way through the call of the game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns' recent efforts against the Cavs and Spurs should be a beacon of hope. There is talent here, and when they're not all teenagers, they will rise to surprising heights.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you watched on NBA TV, but those announcers were terrible. Everyone was "Booker" or "Ginobli". Gasol got called Ginobli. Parker got called Ginobli. Chriss and Bledsoe got called Booker time and time again. It was quite befuddling to hear these guys hack their way through the call of the game.

The announcer wasn't quite as bad as his sidekick who called the Spurs by our name at least a half dozen times. But yeah, it had a very minor league feel to it at times.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's been looking good

Yeah, I can't believe when I hear comments like that. He's 20, and has been averaging around 19 a game this season, do people need 30 a night before they say he is good?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't believe when I hear comments like that. He's 20, and has been averaging around 19 a game this season, do people need 30 a night before they say he is good?

He wasn't playing well before this 5-6 game stretch unless you look strictly as volume scoring. No need to get overly sensitive about it.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He wasn't playing well before this 5-6 game stretch unless you look strictly as volume scoring. No need to get overly sensitive about it.

Yes, 20 year olds in the nba aren't consistent why would you expect them to be?
Booker has had games this year where he shot very poorly. Still, very few 20 year olds have had the production and performance he has had this year, nothing I've seen this year changed my thoughts in terms of what he can be in the long run.

Just in terms of current mvp candidates, look at westbrook or harden at 20. Heck harden was all world at asu, and averaged 10 pts a game in the nba at 20.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't think anybody said he isn't good. The discussion has been about whether or not he is an elite franchise player.

from phone

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes, 20 year olds in the nba aren't consistent why would you expect them to be?
Booker has had games this year where he shot very poorly. Still, very few 20 year olds have had the production and performance he has had this year, nothing I've seen this year changed my thoughts in terms of what he can be in the long run.

Just in terms of current mvp candidates, look at westbrook or harden at 20. Heck harden was all world at asu, and averaged 10 pts a game in the nba at 20.

This is a different talking point all together. Nobody is expecting him to be a superstar right now... Unlike D'Angelo Russell he is improving after a rough two moths.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NOw THIS was a good win. Beating the dregs says nothing to me. But the cavs and spurs game shows promise.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LMA is just too strong for him to guard.

Actually Bender played very good post-up defense on Aldridge twice which resulted two missed turnaround jumpers by LMA.

I did like what Bender has done vs. Spurs: he did look like a nice future stretch bigman. Defended well, ran the floor and did hit open 3's.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've missed a lot of games but when I've watched Bender certainly passes the eye test. He seems really fluid out there and engaged, I have high hopes for him.

Chriss on the other hand... I almost wish he was a couple inches shorter, he is going to have a rough go as a front court player with that body type, he is just so narrow. He's still young so he'll probably fill out more but his skill set is more of a winger than a big but he is probably just too... big... to play on the wing.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Chriss needs to stop doing the hop step when he gets the ball outside the three point line and just go straight up and shoot it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I've missed a lot of games but when I've watched Bender certainly passes the eye test. He seems really fluid out there and engaged, I have high hopes for him.

Chriss on the other hand... I almost wish he was a couple inches shorter, he is going to have a rough go as a front court player with that body type, he is just so narrow. He's still young so he'll probably fill out more but his skill set is more of a winger than a big but he is probably just too... big... to play on the wing.

Chriss has been far more productive than Bender and shown a lot more skills.

Bender so far has only shown some promise as a shooter and literally nothing inside plus pretty bad stone hands while Chriss has shown brilliant moves inside occasionally, just needs to get stronger.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would say that about Chriss just looking at him too, but he seeks out contact. He plays a very physical game and seems to like it.

Benders passing is excellent. That back door feed to Booker was beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can tell there is a lot to work with when it comes to Bender. He's huge and athletic he's not big and lumbering at all. He's still just a kid. Chriss reminds me so much of a young McDyesse.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Both Chriss and Bender have been better than I dared hope. So nice to see Bender get big crunch time minutes. He plays smart and solid. Great passing and defence. Ulis, Booker, Tucker, Bender and Len worked really well.

Also nice when the ball goes through Booker more. That's a good thing about having combo Bledsoe at PG. He can focus on scoring and let Ulis and Booker take care of PG duties.

Great win!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't been following the games tightly, but maybe he's getting substituted for a lot earlier in the first quarter? not sure if they're are managing minutes differently lately.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Chriss and Bender have been better than I dared hope. So nice to see Bender get big crunch time minutes. He plays smart and solid. Great passing and defence. Ulis, Booker, Tucker, Bender and Len worked really well.

Also nice when the ball goes through Booker more. That's a good thing about having combo Bledsoe at PG. He can focus on scoring and let Ulis and Booker take care of PG duties.

Great win!

The ball goes through him often although less so when Knight or Barbosa are out there with him.

As for Bender, he needs to fill out and he still needs to adjust to the speed of the NBA game but it seems to me that we just play better team defense whenever he's on the court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great win!

I'm liking Bender more and more. He tries to be a complete player at such a young age. If he can put on more weight (muscle) he should be really good.

I'd be happy if he turns out as good as Kristaps Porzingis who is two years older.