Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to know Toronto’s offer before I rip JJ for another missed opportunity.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Raptors offer in terms of players would have been limited in salary to what Ayton was making at the time before he signed an offer sheet with the Pacers.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Raptors offer in terms of players would have been limited in salary to what Ayton was making at the time before he signed an offer sheet with the Pacers.
It was an averaged out salary but it wasn’t impossible. The above report is speculation of course.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an averaged out salary but it wasn’t impossible. The above report is speculation of course.

All I'm saying is the Suns were limited in how much salary they could take back in a trade because of Ayton's salary.

I don't recall the exact figure of Ayton's salary, maybe around $16 million?

Still, there were a few hypothetical trades I liked.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going back to the Jae Crowder discussion we had last night, I saw no reason to give him an extension based on his play last season. He shot .399 from the field. Ideally, it would have liked to have been nice to keep Jae if he proved himself worthy this season but it didn't happen for whatever reason. Personally, I think the Suns need to get stronger at power forward, a player that can play inside as well as outside.
One reason? If you don't have anybody better to replace him. We didn't and we don't. Not that I think Jae was a long-term solution. However, this team is tissue soft and lacks any grit. Regardless of Jae's numbers he brought that in spades. Yes we need an upgrade, but he still brought things we are missing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One reason? If you don't have anybody better to replace him. We didn't and we don't. Not that I think Jae was a long-term solution. However, this team is tissue soft and lacks any grit. Regardless of Jae's numbers he brought that in spades. Yes we need an upgrade, but he still brought things we are missing.

The Suns not replacing or playing Crowder is on James Jones or other powers in control. I wouldn't give him an extension based on last season. Maybe if he played well this season, he would have earned it. There are players out there that could fill Crowder's role. It's still a mystery to me why he is not playing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns not replacing or playing Crowder is on James Jones or other powers in control. I wouldn't give him an extension based on last season. Maybe if he played well this season, he would have earned it. There are players out there that could fill Crowder's role. It's still a mystery to me why he is not playing.
I am not sure there are. If so, the Suns sure as heck didn't look for any or they were not available. Well if what Kellan Olson reported is true (he is a good reporter), it's strictly an issue with Monty and Jae. According to him, it has zero to do with fellow players, James Jones (the team) or him not starting. So, there is that. If true? It would be huge to bring Jae off the bench IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to get this feeling as well, the Suns might be getting too comfortable with bad losses.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure there are. If so, the Suns sure as heck didn't look for any or they were not available. Well if what Kellan Olson reported is true (he is a good reporter), it's strictly an issue with Monty and Jae. According to him, it has zero to do with fellow players, James Jones (the team) or him not starting. So, there is that. If true? It would be huge to bring Jae off the bench IMO.

As fans we don't know all the reasons Crowder is not playing and we certainly have no control over it. I'm not ready to take sides until I know more.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We could only take back 19 million in salary and he couldn’t be combined with any other player

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As fans we don't know all the reasons Crowder is not playing and we certainly have no control over it. I'm not ready to take sides until I know more.
Huh? Not sure you need to take sides. Kellan spoke to multiple players. So, I trust what he is saying in that regard. He isn't about to put himself out there and ruin his reputation by saying that out loud on a radio show if he didn't.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I'm saying is the Suns were limited in how much salary they could take back in a trade because of Ayton's salary.

I don't recall the exact figure of Ayton's salary, maybe around $16 million?

Still, there were a few hypothetical trades I liked.

Maybe it was OG for Ayton and Shamet or something along those lines.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Not sure you need to take sides. Kellan spoke to multiple players. So, I trust what he is saying in that regard. He isn't about to put himself out there and ruin his reputation by saying that out loud on a radio show if he didn't.

If Kellan Olson gave the reason Crowder is not playing, I'd like to read about it if you have a link.

IIRC, Crowder has said it is not about starting or extension.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could only take back 19 million in salary and he couldn’t be combined with any other player

I thought it was closer to $16 million but it's not really important now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kellan Olson gave the reason Crowder is not playing, I'd like to read about it if you have a link.

IIRC, Crowder has said it is not about starting or extension.
It was an interview on the Radio. Basically, he said he spoke to several players, and they are siding with Jae and want him to be able to suit up and play. None of them have a problem with Jae. He went on then to say the issue was an issue between Jae and Monty. The local guys have repeated the report on air multiple times.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an interview on the Radio. Basically, he said he spoke to several players, and they are siding with Jae and want him to be able to suit up and play. None of them have a problem with Jae. He went on then to say the issue was an issue between Jae and Monty. The local guys have repeated the report on air multiple times.

I've read and heard the players have no issue with Jae but I have yet to hear anyone actually come out put it in wring that the problem is with Monty. If a writer is going to say it verbally they should be willing to put it in writing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read and heard the players have no issue with Jae but I have yet to hear anyone actually come out put it in wring that the problem is with Monty. If a writer is going to say it verbally they should be willing to put it in writing.
What is this the 1950's? No it does not have to be in writing. Not everybody is a columnist. Putting your reputation on the line on radio/TV is the same thing if that is your medium. As we have experienced guys can put stuff in writing (a la Twitter), turns out to be a joke of credibility.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this the 1950's? No it does not have to be in writing. Not everybody is a columnist. Putting your reputation on the line on radio/TV is the same thing if that is your medium. As we have experienced guys can put stuff in writing (a la Twitter), turns out to be a joke of credibility.
Except Kellan Olson IS a columnist. The fact that I haven’t seen this segment retweeted or mentioned by anyone makes me skeptical. I mean, it’s not like Crowder’s absence isn’t a big story in the Valley. Why Olson, who’s a columnist would say this on the radio but not break it online as well doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except Kellan Olson IS a columnist. The fact that I haven’t seen this segment retweeted or mentioned by anyone makes me skeptical. I mean, it’s not like Crowder’s absence isn’t a big story in the Valley. Why Olson, who’s a columnist would say this on the radio but not break it online as well doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
Well take it up with him then. It was on Bickley's segment, and they repeated it. Either way my point stands. If you do TV or Radio and say something? You are still on the hook just like if you put it in writing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it directly from him either but I've seen it referenced elsewhere plus I've read other comments that suggest the problem was between Jae and the coaching staff. Here's one quote I found on CBS sports from three weeks ago:

I am thankful my teammates appreciated my leadership. I'm confused and hurt my coaches didn't appreciate the things I brought to our team and organization. And this has nothing to do with financial or contract differences.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Talk about an old medium, radio is it. I listen to it occasionally for music and news when I am on the road but I don't pay a lot of attention to sports talk other than for entertainment unless it is presented as fact by a reputable source. Podcasts are another matter because they are recorded for review.

Almost all sports writers have twitter accounts with links to their articles. It the world of Twitter, it's all about following credible sources for information.

Writers like Shams Charania and Adrian Wojnarowski put breaking news in writing so they get credit for it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm starting to get this feeling as well, the Suns might be getting too comfortable with bad losses.

Yeah, this team starts off bad and then they just give up it seems. Last year they just didn't do that - well not until the playoffs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about an old medium, radio is it. I listen to it occasionally for music and news when I am on the road but I don't pay a lot of attention to sports talk other than for entertainment unless it is presented as fact by a reputable source. Podcasts are another matter because they are recorded for review.

Almost all sports writers have twitter accounts with links to their articles. It the world of Twitter, it's all about following credible sources for information.

Writers like Shams Charania and Adrian Wojnarowski put breaking news in writing so they get credit for it.
Not talking about how old the medium is. Talking about the idea that you have to write in a column (newspaper style) just to have credibility is the dumbest thing I have heard. If your job is to REPORT, it doesn't matter how you report it. There are so many mediums. At the end of the day, these guys just have their name and credibility. The medium doesn't matter. The second the open their mouths for everyone to hear their credibility is on the line with what they say.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose