Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess what? Ty Jerome had a good game with the NAZ Suns and he is back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
3/5/20, 12:55 PM
Monty Williams said Deandre Ayton (ankle) participated in some non-contact stuff at today’s practice and “we’ll have to see how he responds.” Doesn’t have a timetable on Ayton’s return, but said he “for sure” expects Ayton back this season #Suns

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
3/5/20, 12:55 PM
Monty Williams said Deandre Ayton (ankle) participated in some non-contact stuff at today’s practice and “we’ll have to see how he responds.” Doesn’t have a timetable on Ayton’s return, but said he “for sure” expects Ayton back this season #Suns

That is good news. If it was Booker, I'd be fine with sitting him but Ayton needs the minutes more than probably anyone else. He's already played a short season because of his suspension. I don't imagine this will help with his conditioning and that'll be something to watch next season. They need to make sure there is one viable backup that can be counted on and then either a project or a veteran as the 3rd Center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good news coming about Kelly Oubre.

Kevin Zimmerman‏Verified account @KZimmermanAZ

On Kelly Oubre Jr.'s surgery .... Jones says Suns hope he returns this year: "That's our hope ... Luckily for us, everything looked great. He's moving well. They want him in crunches post-op but this kid's walking with a cane. He just has that cool factor."

7:44 AM - 6 Mar 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
News regarding Ayton's ankle injury.

Kevin Zimmerman‏Verified account @KZimmermanAZ

Suns GM James Jones on @DougandWolf987 with a little more insight into Deandre Ayton's ankle injury. -

Day-to-day. Imaging is clean, just a sprain -

Not concerned about multiple ankle tweaks - Ayton is being taught how to move, land, to avoid these things

7:42 AM - 6 Mar 2020

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson thinks players should quit worrying about style and go back to hi-tops.

I think this is something most of the fans on Suns forum can agree on. Wear the hi-tops!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson thinks players should quit worrying about style and go back to hi-tops.

tweaked my ankle sunday because i thought i'd try out some low top lebrons. Might have to get some Kyrie's now, maybe the KD's might be high enough. It's true for sure. My kid also has ankle issues when she wears lows.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

After reading that, it makes more sense that the Suns tried trading Saric for a 1st. It suggests the Suns backed out of the Detroit deal for Kennard because of the protection on the 1st and how that might have kept them from making a deal for Aaron Gordon because AG is worth a lottery pick, Kennard is not. Suns only have their pick to move though so they couldn't do both deals without somehow acquiring another 1st. The article doesn't mention how they tried moving Saric for a 1st but that was mentioned somewhere else here. Had they found a buyer then they could have swung both deals, possibly.

I think Saric, a 1st, and Tyler Johnson (cap filler) for Gordon would have been good but perhaps the Magic had no interest in Saric and I can understand that. Odds are they'll move Jonathan Isaac to PF full time with Gordon gone and they'd likely want a SF for Gordon as they plan to make a playoff push this year. I believe they're sitting 8th in the East currently. Oubre or Bridges for Gordon would require a 1st coming back with Gordon and even then, I don't know if I'd jump at that. I'm glad that wasn't a move that Jones made, regardless.

I do hope they can resume talks this summer though because I like the idea of Gordon more than striking out in free agency and if our own 1st was all it cost, I could handle that. The reason I'd be ok with our 1st for Gordon this summer is this draft doesn't look too deep or strong so turning that pick into a player like Gordon, even at a higher salary, is at least adding a positive players without removing anyone. If we could get Gordon for our pick then I'd look into resigning Saric, provided it's reasonable, as a backup.

Ayton, Gordon, Oubre, Booker, & Rubio starting with Bridges, Saric, Cam, Kaminsky, and Carter off the bench with Diallo & Lecque as projects still. That's 9 deep and while we should look to upgrade Kaminsky, that's worst case sort of backup C. I still like Saric, Cam, and Bridges off the bench providing good depth.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After reading that, it makes more sense that the Suns tried trading Saric for a 1st. It suggests the Suns backed out of the Detroit deal for Kennard because of the protection on the 1st and how that might have kept them from making a deal for Aaron Gordon because AG is worth a lottery pick, Kennard is not. Suns only have their pick to move though so they couldn't do both deals without somehow acquiring another 1st. The article doesn't mention how they tried moving Saric for a 1st but that was mentioned somewhere else here. Had they found a buyer then they could have swung both deals, possibly.

I think Saric, a 1st, and Tyler Johnson (cap filler) for Gordon would have been good but perhaps the Magic had no interest in Saric and I can understand that. Odds are they'll move Jonathan Isaac to PF full time with Gordon gone and they'd likely want a SF for Gordon as they plan to make a playoff push this year. I believe they're sitting 8th in the East currently. Oubre or Bridges for Gordon would require a 1st coming back with Gordon and even then, I don't know if I'd jump at that. I'm glad that wasn't a move that Jones made, regardless.

I do hope they can resume talks this summer though because I like the idea of Gordon more than striking out in free agency and if our own 1st was all it cost, I could handle that. The reason I'd be ok with our 1st for Gordon this summer is this draft doesn't look too deep or strong so turning that pick into a player like Gordon, even at a higher salary, is at least adding a positive players without removing anyone. If we could get Gordon for our pick then I'd look into resigning Saric, provided it's reasonable, as a backup.

Ayton, Gordon, Oubre, Booker, & Rubio starting with Bridges, Saric, Cam, Kaminsky, and Carter off the bench with Diallo & Lecque as projects still. That's 9 deep and while we should look to upgrade Kaminsky, that's worst case sort of backup C. I still like Saric, Cam, and Bridges off the bench providing good depth.
This sounds like movement in the right direction. Maybe we can work a S&T with Baynes and get something back that would help us swing a Gordon deal. It will be interesting to see how this team improves next year with added maturity, adding some depth, and less games lost (knock on wood) to suspensions and injury. We do need to add a competitive bull dog to our roster. Someone who supplies what Baynes would have if healthy and what Carter does. We need a player that the whole league hates to play against.

I would not mind adding a Chris Paul-type or a Draymond Green-type player. I do not know if one is out there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson