Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Doing nothing at the trade deadline was abhorrent, but it is at best grossly negligent that with this many injuries and such a depleted roster, James Jones hasn't even signed anyone to a ten day contract beyond Bolden's first one, instead forcing Monty to run what few healthy players he has left into the ground and go into every single game with a personnel disadvantage, particularly with potential contributors (including several fitting James Jones's M.O.) just sitting out there, like Trey Burke, Jordan Bell, Kenneth Faried, Sam Dekker, Henry Ellenson, Luc Mbah a Moute, CJ Miles, Miles Plumlee, Ivan Rabb, Quincy Pondexter, Iman Shumpert, Nik Stauskas, Lance Thomas, Sindarius Thornwell, Alan Williams, Guerschon Yabusele, Tyler Zeller, and even Bolden himself.

Whether it is just James Jones, a combination of Jones and Bowen, or a combination of Jones, Bowen and Sarver, I don't know how anyone at this point can defend the player personnel direction, or lack thereof, embodied by this management, or even see any hope on the horizon with this management group.

And for the last time, no, my goal and purpose here is NOT to upset fellow fans or convince them no longer to be Suns fans. It is to get people to see the light, acknowledge that ownership and management are failing us as fans, and demand more, much more, to at least try to give us a franchise somewhat resembling that which we had here 25 years ago.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty sees Mikal Bridges becoming a play maker. He looks like one of those players that just keeps getting better.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty sees Mikal Bridges becoming a play maker. He looks like one of those players that just keeps getting better.

But he can't play 48 minutes every game, and he is the only healthy small forward on the roster right now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't see that from Mikal but I'd like to to be proven wrong. I think Monty could be pushing him to become more of a playmaker to send a message to Oubre. If Mikal can start getting 3-4 assists a game and is finding his teammates in position to make plays then Oubre will need to step up his game to compete with that. While they started together late this season, I don't see that as the plan next year and that's fine. Let them battle for that starting job. Ideally that will elevate both of their games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see that from Mikal but I'd like to to be proven wrong. I think Monty could be pushing him to become more of a playmaker to send a message to Oubre. If Mikal can start getting 3-4 assists a game and is finding his teammates in position to make plays then Oubre will need to step up his game to compete with that. While they started together late this season, I don't see that as the plan next year and that's fine. Let them battle for that starting job. Ideally that will elevate both of their games.

Unless the Suns find an upgrade at the power forward position, I'd be content to go into next season with Bridges and Oubre as the forwards. The Suns need to significantly upgrade their bench. All the players need to step up their game. I'm not sure why Oubre gets singled out.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Whether it is just James Jones, a combination of Jones and Bowen, or a combination of Jones, Bowen and Sarver, I don't know how anyone at this point can defend the player personnel direction, or lack thereof, embodied by this management, or even see any hope on the horizon with this management group.

I 100% guarantee the short roster has nothing to do with anything other than typical Sarver "thriftiness"... no matter what else you might hear on an official (or unofficial) basis from the front office or media.

The Suns FO knows they aren't making the post-season - but of course, no one officially affiliated with the team can admit that. So Sarver figures there is no point in shelling out money for an extra player just to play out the remainder of the season. It may be pragmatic on one level, but also illustrates the mindset and priorities of the guy in charge... and also why the franchise is in a perpetual mess.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless the Suns find an upgrade at the power forward position, I'd be content to go into next season with Bridges and Oubre as the forwards. The Suns need to significantly upgrade their bench. All the players need to step up their game. I'm not sure why Oubre gets singled out.

I singled Oubre out because he's one of the few guys who is under contract and guaranteed to be a big part of the rotation next year. Outside of Booker, Ayton, Rubio, and Bridges, Oubre is the only other guy left. He and Mikal do share a natural position also.

The Suns have a few needs and starting PF is one of them. If we start Bridges and Oubre at Forward then starting PF wasn't addressed. I can handle that if they add a good young PF who they plan on bringing along as the year progresses but I'm probably in the minority in that regard. If they did that then they need to spend the rest of their cap space on a good backup PG, SG/SF, and C. That is about $5 million or so a piece and while it's possible, I don't think it'll happen. Addressing 1 or 2 of those spots is more likely or 1 of them plus starting PF.

I just don't see the forward pairing of Bridges & Oubre being the longterm solution for the Suns. One of them will need to accept a reserve role or we may need to move one, which is the last thing I want to see. Those 2 will end up competing for playing time and the starting SF role eventually. I don't really have a preference now because I think both bring something different to the table in either role, starting or as the Sixth Man.

A decision will need to be made sooner than later though. Kelly's only under contract for 1 more year and Mikal has 2 years left on his rookie deal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I singled Oubre out because he's one of the few guys who is under contract and guaranteed to be a big part of the rotation next year. Outside of Booker, Ayton, Rubio, and Bridges, Oubre is the only other guy left. He and Mikal do share a natural position also.

The Suns have a few needs and starting PF is one of them. If we start Bridges and Oubre at Forward then starting PF wasn't addressed. I can handle that if they add a good young PF who they plan on bringing along as the year progresses but I'm probably in the minority in that regard. If they did that then they need to spend the rest of their cap space on a good backup PG, SG/SF, and C. That is about $5 million or so a piece and while it's possible, I don't think it'll happen. Addressing 1 or 2 of those spots is more likely or 1 of them plus starting PF.

I just don't see the forward pairing of Bridges & Oubre being the longterm solution for the Suns. One of them will need to accept a reserve role or we may need to move one, which is the last thing I want to see. Those 2 will end up competing for playing time and the starting SF role eventually. I don't really have a preference now because I think both bring something different to the table in either role, starting or as the Sixth Man.

A decision will need to be made sooner than later though. Kelly's only under contract for 1 more year and Mikal has 2 years left on his rookie deal.
Its Mikal over Oubre IMO and its not close. Mikal brings a more consistent game. His D is money and always on. His offense is more team oriented and improving. I think his upside is much better although I would like to keep both.

Most of the advanced metrics say that our starting rotations are really, really good. Our problem is depth. Injuries and suspensions made that more of a problem. The key to improvement for this team might be continuity and building roster depth. If we add a starting level pf, then either Oubre or Mikal goes to the bench. It should be Oubre IMO, and I would not apologize to him for making the move.

You can deepen your team by adding bench players or by adding starting players and moving your present players to the bench, deepening the bench. Either one is fine with me.

I am a little nervous about injuries for next year. We have two player that will participate in the Olympics I would think.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess I don't understand making a distinction until the Suns have a better option at power forward and then Monty will be the decider who goes to the bench. Suns still need to find an upgrade at power forward. Also if they draft one, it may take time for him to develop.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I 100% guarantee the short roster has nothing to do with anything other than typical Sarver "thriftiness"... no matter what else you might hear on an official (or unofficial) basis from the front office or media.

The Suns FO knows they aren't making the post-season - but of course, no one officially affiliated with the team can admit that. So Sarver figures there is no point in shelling out money for an extra player just to play out the remainder of the season. It may be pragmatic on one level, but also illustrates the mindset and priorities of the guy in charge... and also why the franchise is in a perpetual mess.

As always, penny-wise and pound-foolish...and the reason I have been emphasizing that there is no hope as long as this ownership and management group remain in power. It will either take a management group that can convince Sarver to get out of the way on basketball decisions and put the right resources into the team, or else it will take a new owner, to get out of this decade-long-and-counting mess...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As always, penny-wise and pound-foolish...and the reason I have been emphasizing that there is no hope as long as this ownership and management group remain in power. It will either take a management group that can convince Sarver to get out of the way on basketball decisions and put the right resources into the team, or else it will take a new owner, to get out of this decade-long-and-counting mess...
Another factor is that Sarver either realizes that what he has been doing is not working . . . or, as a banker, doesn't care. It's working for him and his cronies.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have two player that will participate in the Olympics I would think.

Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. Japan is way over budget on this so I'm sure they will try their best to pull it off but I don't like their chances, at least not on schedule. I know there's been a suggestion to delay it by a few months but I wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled or delayed a full year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash talks to Devin Booker about his development. I so miss Steve Nash. Wish he could be more involved with the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TNT analysts debate whether Devin Booker has enough help.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I can see Mikal making plays for others occasionally, driving hard on lazy closeouts and dumping to cutters off help...

But that's about it. He doesn't really have the handles to break anyone down off the dribble, nor the vision to read coverages to make timely passes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I can see Mikal making plays for others occasionally, driving hard on lazy closeouts and dumping to cutters off help...

But that's about it. He doesn't really have the handles to break anyone down off the dribble, nor the vision to read coverages to make timely passes.
I agree. Becoming a better distributor, fine.

But seeking to consider him a distributing
Wing at this time is just a repeat of what
they did to Booker.

On the Suns it becomes a crutch. And an
excuse for Sarver to not spend filling all
positions appropriately.

They just don't learn. If a player finally
shows improvement in his position, to
expect him to cover others as well.

That is the curse of the banker's
mentality running an NBA team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Becoming a better distributor, fine.

But seeking to consider him a distributing
Wing at this time is just a repeat of what
they did to Booker.

On the Suns it becomes a crutch. And an
excuse for Sarver to not spend filling all
positions appropriately.

They just don't learn. If a player finally
shows improvement in his position, to
expect him to cover others as well.

That is the curse of the banker's
mentality running an NBA team.

I was waiting for you to do the tiny text at the end to form an inverse pyramid. :wink2:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TNT analysts debate whether Devin Booker has enough help.

Not sure who watched this but it really calls all of these "analysts" into question. Candace Parker says Detroit overlooked Booker in the draft and selected Luke Kennard instead. Too bad Kennard was selected in a completely different draft.

Wade mentions how Booker will look and see his friends winning elsewhere and that could cause him to ask out but his 2 best friends aren't winning in Minnesota.

Shaq speaks in cliches and says nothing of note. He does say he agrees with Wade and Candace's points though, which aren't based in reality.