Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul and Devin Booker may have to help pull this team back together if it can be done.

Hopefully they are doing something behind the scene.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
$5 says had JJ just did the DA deal last season, we’re not here. Look how much of a distraction this has become. Pay people when it’s time to pay up.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I see two possible scenarios.

Whatever happened last year was far worse than anyone thought and the team is beyond repair. I am guessing Monty gets the boot very soon, or Ayton gets traded once he is eligible to be traded.

Second scenario is that Ayton has had it and it going to go crazy this year. Oh, I didn't get the Luka/ Young money? "Well, I will show all you MF-ers how good I am."

I'd love to think the second scenario is more likely, but I don't believe Ayton has that type of drive/ motivation.

The only way this gets repaired is by winning. That's gonna take Bridges and Cam taking major steps forward this year, and some other guys contributing.

Your second scenario is impossible.

However, I think it's possible that Williams gets sacked early in the season, the players make nice with each other because it wasn't "about them," and they get back to approximately where they were last season -- which is to say, good enough to win a lot of regular season games, but not tough in the ways that matter for playoff success.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
$5 says had JJ just did the DA deal last season, we’re not here. Look how much of a distraction this has become. Pay people when it’s time to pay up.
James Jones is all about flexibility. If they would of signed Ayton to the max last offseason then he would of taken up one of the Rookie Designated contract spots. Booker holds the other spot until his super max kicks in (24-25). That means we wouldn’t be able to trade for another player on the Rookie Designated max until the 24-25 season unless Booker or Ayton was included.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
You never ever EVER take a coach over talent in the NBA especially a coach at Monty’s level.
Indeed... if it came down to it, I would fire Monty every day and twice in Sunday before picking him over almost any of the players... or at least most of the rotation guys.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Indeed... if it came down to it, I would fire Monty every day and twice in Sunday before picking him over almost any of the players... or at least most of the rotation guys.
Then he should have been gone before Crowder. Plus, I don’t think you can fire a person twice unless you hire them again in between.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I guess on the positive side I’ll take this level off disfunction and talent vs the days of rolling out some of the rosters we used to have. think of our discussions at this point of the year not that long ago…. Enjoy it while we have it!

I think he team is going to be great. Booker will be better, Cam starting will bring more consistency and maybe playing basketball again will help the healing process. If it’s still a mess, see what you can get for Ayton at the deadline.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
James Jones is all about flexibility. If they would of signed Ayton to the max last offseason then he would of taken up one of the Rookie Designated contract spots. Booker holds the other spot until his super max kicks in (24-25). That means we wouldn’t be able to trade for another player on the Rookie Designated max until the 24-25 season unless Booker or Ayton was included.
Or make your current players happy and not dick around with things like flexibility.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Maybe. And maybe you're reading tea leaves thinking they actually can tell the future. We don't have "reports", we have rumor and speculation especially when it comes to Sabonis. We had "reports" stressing that Ayton was not coming back even though JJ said all along we were re-signing him. We re-signed him, so much for the reports.

I have no idea if we're happy with him and vice versa or if this was just the team refusing to take a loss on an asset and DA paying the price. But I suspect if we're dead set on moving Ayton, it will be easier to do in a year or two.
True… I guess my point is that if either Ayton or Monty were to no longer be with the team, I see Ayton being the one to go…

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess on the positive side I’ll take this level off disfunction and talent vs the days of rolling out some of the rosters we used to have. think of our discussions at this point of the year not that long ago…. Enjoy it while we have it!

I think he team is going to be great. Booker will be better, Cam starting will bring more consistency and maybe playing basketball again will help the healing process. If it’s still a mess, see what you can get for Ayton at the deadline.

Flexibility is only good if you use it. Let’s see him pull the trigger on something big

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Id rather Lose Monte than DA, yeah Monte is a cool cat but a blind one armed monkey could coach this team. CP3 does most of the work.
There's maybe a handful of people in the country that can do what DA has done and will do.
Its damning that Monte hasn't talked to DA since that game. And I DO blame Monte for that as the coach.
Fix it and lets get rolling.

Monte for Kuzma and picks

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True… I guess my point is that if either Ayton or Monty were to no longer be with the team, I see Ayton being the one to go
Yeah, that's quite possible. But I think it would be the beginning of the end for this group if we traded DA and kept Monty. That is, unless we can get good value for DA which seems unlikely right now.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
The problem may have started last season, but it has carried over. This thing needs to end now, at least between Monty and Ayton.

Not only haven't the Suns improved in the off season, they have two disgruntled starters.

If I'm James Jones I'm talking to Ayton and Williams individually to find the problem and then set up a meeting between the two players to meet eye to eye.

If Jones is uncomfortable mediating this, bring in a professional.
Monty needs to connect and communicate with the players not alienate them. He's shown he can't or won't make adjustments during games in two years of playoffs so maybe he's not the right one to coach and lead this Suns team. Kinda disappointed in Monty. I rather see Monty Williams gone than Ayton if it got down to that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also find that reliable. It's only a question of what he'll most notably improve in: shooting, defense, playmaking skills, leadership...

Hopefully playmaking, because I wish he were good enough at playmaking to move over to point guard after Chris Paul retires, and currently of course he isn't.
He has very good playmaking skills for a shooting guard. But he lacks the ideal speed and quickness to ever be an elite point guard so even if he improves as a playmaker, we're always going to be better off with him in his current role where he's already elite.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty needs to connect and communicate with the players not alienate them. He's shown he can't or won't make adjustments during games in two years of playoffs so maybe he's not the right one to coach and lead this Suns team. Kinda disappointed in Monty. I rather see Monty Williams gone than Ayton if it got down to that.

I've always seen Monty as the mender of fences and a player's coach. I'm starting to question this after recent events.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always seen Monty as the mender of fences and a player's coach. I'm starting to question this after recent events.
He's had clashes with players but I believe he is a player's coach for the most part. But he's been admittedly headstrong and opinionated in the past and not all players respond well to his interpersonal approach. Still, I think it's too early to pass judgement on the situation right now. I'm concerned but I'm not yet willing to lay it all on Monty's doorstep, nor on DA's. Too much is unknown.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not laying it at anyone's doorstep, but as a coach, Monty has to be able to talk to his players, period.

It's obvious there is a communication issue between Monty and Deandre. It needs to be fixed.

If it takes someone to intervene on behalf of the two, I'm all for it. The worst thing is to ignore it.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score

What's crazy to me is a player no longer on the team just recently said "again" that Monty still communicates him. That's crazy to me with what I hearing. Maybe because said player humblely acknowledged what it takes to win, was thankful for the experience says he learned a lot, took the lesser money just to play so he can continue developing and always only speaks well of the Suns. And no one would think it would be unreasonable for him to be bitter but ironically he's not.

I think Monty sees this as his show and he's not changing his system for nobody...that includes how I communicate. Like a tough love father, do as I say...nobody cares about your feelings, I'm trying to teach you that....better me than the police.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's crazy to me is a player no longer on the team just recently said that Monty still communicates him. That's crazy to me with what I hearing. Maybe because said player humblely acknowledged what it takes to win, was thankful for the experience says he learned a lot, took the lesser money just to play so he can continue developing and always only speaks well of the Suns. And no one would think it would be unreasonable for him to be bitter but ironically he's not.

I think Monty sees this as his show and he's not changing his system for nobody...that includes how I communicate. Like a tough love father, do as I say...nobody cares about your feelings, I'm trying to teach you that....better me than the police.

This is all so unlike the Monty I thought I knew, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but a coach has to be able to talk to his players. I'm thinking the Suns had this nice culture going, but somewhere it went awry.

Deandre needs to be a part of the healing process as well. The two need to talk and clear the air if possible, or at least establish a working relationship that is palatable.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I think also like that tough love dad, Monty is waiting for DA to come to him & bow down...I mean apologize.

And if it don't happen then silent treatment until you need me....because as parents say "you gonna need me before I need you."

And when DA comes for that talk, DA will be surprised when Monty apologizes too.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
DA is gonna play pissed like he is trying to prove his dad wrong. And Monty will still be silent knowing in 10-20 years when they look back DA is going give Monty credit for that shift....and as a parent that is all a parent ever needs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the Suns are getting segments like this, it's pretty obvious this story is only going to get bigger, because normaly they would never cover the Suns in the preseason.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose