Suns Off-season Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way... by all reports which were certainly validated by the Suns lack of offering DA a contract and merely matched the offer he received, the Suns don't want Ayton. They were trying to grab Sabonis...
DA will be gone come mid/late January...
Maybe. And maybe you're reading tea leaves thinking they actually can tell the future. We don't have "reports", we have rumor and speculation especially when it comes to Sabonis. We had "reports" stressing that Ayton was not coming back even though JJ said all along we were re-signing him. We re-signed him, so much for the reports.

I have no idea if we're happy with him and vice versa or if this was just the team refusing to take a loss on an asset and DA paying the price. But I suspect if we're dead set on moving Ayton, it will be easier to do in a year or two.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked Monty hadn't talked to Ayton as late as Media Day 2022. Maybe not even today.

I previously saw Monty as a bridge builder.

This may be exactly why the Suns are where they are today with Crowder and Ayton.

Ayton was all serious again when interviewed again today. What happened to this team's chemistry?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the interview with Ayton Day 1 of Training Camp.

Somebody needs to clear the air!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
A reminder that he signed a contract to play with the Indiana Pacers, not the Phoenix Suns. RFA is a fickle bastard

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT.

The Suns have two STARTERS that are unhappy.

Jae Crowder wants to be traded, and Deandre Ayton appears clearly unhappy about something.

These things don't magically disappear.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jae Crowder wants to be traded, and Deandre Ayton appears clearly unhappy about something.

Yes but my biggest concern is what happened last season. What caused our complete collapse? Is it in our past? Fix that, and I think everything else can be smoothed over during the season. But from the outside, it appears they're just sweeping it under the rug. And we might not know whether it's a non-issue until we play our last game - whether that last game happens in the regular season or the championship series, I have no clue.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the interview with Ayton Day 1 of Training Camp.

Somebody needs to clear the air!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yikes. That video makes it even more clear he is pissed at Monty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem may have started last season, but it has carried over. This thing needs to end now, at least between Monty and Ayton.

Not only haven't the Suns improved in the off season, they have two disgruntled starters.

If I'm James Jones I'm talking to Ayton and Williams individually to find the problem and then set up a meeting between the two players to meet eye to eye.

If Jones is uncomfortable mediating this, bring in a professional.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well Crowder is gone, he will never play with the team again, so actually I think he will just disappear, but we are unlikely to get a good trade return back unfortunately.

Just because Ayton is pissed right now does not necessarily mean it isn't repairable - but it certainly is something to be concerned about.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked Monty hadn't talked to Ayton as late as Media Day 2022. Maybe not even today.

I previously saw Monty as a bridge builder.

This may be exactly why the Suns are where they are today with Crowder and Ayton.

Ayton was all serious again when interviewed again today. What happened to this team's chemistry?

Ayton is out the door by next year guaranteed

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s basketball malfeasance that a coach makes the point that he made after a humiliating loss last year to end the season and never talks to the player about it.

Like… mind-bogglingly stupid.

This season might end up a total disaster.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes but my biggest concern is what happened last season. What caused our complete collapse? Is it in our past? Fix that, and I think everything else can be smoothed over during the season. But from the outside, it appears they're just sweeping it under the rug. And we might not know whether it's a non-issue until we play our last game - whether that last game happens in the regular season or the championship series, I have no clue.
Nah, what happened last season can't be fixed. We need to focus on this year.

If Ayton and Monty can't get along, that is a tough call as to who should go. I guess it kind of depends on your options to replace either one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is out the door by next year guaranteed

I hate to say it, but unless the Suns get things worked out in a hurry, they may soon resemble the Utah Jazz.

Having two unhappy starters is a bad situation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but unless the Suns get things worked out in a hurry, they may soon resemble the Utah Jazz.

Having two unhappy starters is a bad situation.
Why do you keep acting like Crowder is a starter.

First off the whole reason he wants out, is Cam is now the starter.

Second off the Suns would not be fine letting him miss camp if they were not intending on granting his trade request.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Ayton and Monty can't get along, that is a tough call as to who should go. I guess it kind of depends on your options to replace either one.
No it’s not. Monty goes. Talent wins. Especially YOUNG talent like Ayton.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
...we might not know whether it's a non-issue until we play our last game - whether that last game happens in the regular season or the championship series...
true
however, i think we'll know something within the first 3 games of this season
-- whether this team is hell-bent on redemption. or just hell-bent (but even so, i agree that it's fixable. They can come together and reload via trade mid-season)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you keep acting like Crowder is a starter.

First off the whole reason he wants out, is Cam is now the starter.

Second off the Suns would not be fine letting him miss camp if they were not intending on granting his trade request.

The situation has to be looked at as a whole. All the players are experiencing what is going on. If we were looking at only one thing, it might be different.

There was an NBA investigation of the franchise, Robert Sarver is stepping down from ownership, Ayton and management had a contract dispute, there was also an on-the-court dispute between Monty and Ayton, Crowder wants to be traded and the Suns collapsed in game 7.

There are a lot of things going on.

Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.

I only wish it was just about Cam Johnson becoming a starter.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You never ever EVER take a coach over talent in the NBA especially a coach at Monty’s level.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Whatever th case, Monty better involve DA more in the offense, or this is going to get ugly very fast

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I see two possible scenarios.

Whatever happened last year was far worse than anyone thought and the team is beyond repair. I am guessing Monty gets the boot very soon, or Ayton gets traded once he is eligible to be traded.

Second scenario is that Ayton has had it and it going to go crazy this year. Oh, I didn't get the Luka/ Young money? "Well, I will show all you MF-ers how good I am."

I'd love to think the second scenario is more likely, but I don't believe Ayton has that type of drive/ motivation.

The only way this gets repaired is by winning. That's gonna take Bridges and Cam taking major steps forward this year, and some other guys contributing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose