Suns Off-season Thread

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I for one would be happy for CP3 to be here until he retires! Dude has changed the status of this franchise, man some of you have a short memory. If Monty just uses the damn bench and manages his minutes better it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. I think Monty relied WAY WAY to much on Paul and overplayed the hell out of him just to get the best record! Watch how deep Kerr and other coaches go in there bench to manage minutes. Monty’s lack of adjustments and wearing Paul out is the key reason we are not playing right now period! Booker and Paul won Monty the coach of the year not the other way around!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I for one would be happy for CP3 to be here until he retires! Dude has changed the status of this franchise, man some of you have a short memory. If Monty just uses the damn bench and manages his minutes better it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. I think Monty relied WAY WAY to much on Paul and overplayed the hell out of him just to get the best record! Watch how deep Kerr and other coaches go in there bench to manage minutes. Monty’s lack of adjustments and wearing Paul out is the key reason we are not playing right now period! Booker and Paul won Monty the coach of the year not the other way around!

Chris Paul missed a little over a month towards the end of the season. He played February 16th and then returned March 24th. He played in 6 games, averaging 30.9 minutes a game, and then sat for 2 of the final 3 games. The season ended April 10th. If he was too tired then there's no hope for him next season.

It's not a minute management issue. It's not even a Monty depth issue. Holiday wasn't going to be more productive than Paul or Payne. I wish he did play because I'm tired of the narrative that he needed to see more minutes. He was literally given away by Washington. While I think he's a decent player, he wasn't going to lead the Suns past Dallas. Each loss was a blowout so it's not like 1 small adjustment would have titled the scales.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul missed a little over a month towards the end of the season. He played February 16th and then returned March 24th. He played in 6 games, averaging 30.9 minutes a game, and then sat for 2 of the final 3 games. The season ended April 10th. If he was too tired then there's no hope for him next season.

It's not a minute management issue. It's not even a Monty depth issue. Holiday wasn't going to be more productive than Paul or Payne. I wish he did play because I'm tired of the narrative that he needed to see more minutes. He was literally given away by Washington. While I think he's a decent player, he wasn't going to lead the Suns past Dallas. Each loss was a blowout so it's not like 1 small adjustment would have titled the scales.
Disagree, it’s not rocket science to know the amount of minutes over the whole course of the season can wear down players, especially ones that have injury concerns. And as for adjustments BS when no one could buy a bucket and you sit in your hands and do nothing until down by 40 and the game was over is stupid coaching. You have other shooting on the bench, ******* play them and see if anyone can get hot! To do nothing as Monty is guilty of many times the damage was already done, same with tumor outs he doesn’t know how to stop a run. Chris and Booker bailed him out over and over by going nuts in the 4th to win so many games!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree, it’s not rocket science to know the amount of minutes over the whole course of the season can wear down players, especially ones that have injury concerns. And as for adjustments BS when no one could buy a bucket and you sit in your hands and do nothing until down by 40 and the game was over is stupid coaching. You have other shooting on the bench, ******* play them and see if anyone can get hot! To do nothing as Monty is guilty of many times the damage was already done, same with tumor outs he doesn’t know how to stop a run. Chris and Booker bailed him out over and over by going nuts in the 4th to win so many games!

I don't see how you manage his minutes more than only playing him in 7 of the final 17 games.

Edit - he played in just 7 of the final 24 games this season. If he can't be ready for the postseason then there's no helping him.

He averaged 33 minutes per game through the first 58 games and then missed 15 games, played in 6, missed 1, played 1 more, and sat for the final game. Averaging 30.9 minutes in those 7 games back. I don't see how you give him more rest to close out the year, at all. Its a false narrative.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how you manage his minutes more than only playing him in 7 of the final 17 games.

Edit - he played in just 7 of the final 24 games this season. If he can't be ready for the postseason then there's no helping him.

He averaged 33 minutes per game through the first 58 games and then missed 15 games, played in 6, missed 1, played 1 more, and sat for the final game. Averaging 30.9 minutes in those 7 games back. I don't see how you give him more rest to close out the year, at all. Its a false narrative.
If CP3's minutes were a problem, and granted, that's a big if, the damage was done prior to getting all those games off. He played far too many minutes in 13 of the last 24 games he played in.

His average minutes were fine, his nights off were great but that doesn't change the fact that over those 13 games he averaged about 38 minutes per. For a guard that everyone was calling too old 4 or 5 years ago, that just seems stupid to me, and that's whether or not those excess minutes took a toll on him.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If CP3's minutes were a problem, and granted, that's a big if, the damage was done prior to getting all those games off. He played far too many minutes in 13 of the last 24 games he played in.

His average minutes were fine, his nights off were great but that doesn't change the fact that over those 13 games he averaged about 38 minutes per. For a guard that everyone was calling too old 4 or 5 years ago, that just seems stupid to me, and that's whether or not those excess minutes took a toll on him.

But those games came months before the playoffs and since he had so much time off, he should have been able to recuperate.

I have a hard time believing minutes in January or February effected his play in May when he had March off. He really only came back just long enough to be in game shape for the postseason.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cp3 played in 7 games after the all-star break. Just before the all-star break he got injured.
The 4 games in April he was down to 10pts/game and 67% on FT's and 11% on 3's.
Something was definitely wrong with cp3 aside from the thumb injury.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cp3 played in 7 games after the all-star break. Just before the all-star break he got injured.
The 4 games in April he was down to 10pts/game and 67% on FT's and 11% on 3's.
Something was definitely wrong with cp3 aside from the thumb injury.
Not that I necessarily believe this but has anyone considered the possibility that some members of the team became convinced (or aware) of Sarver's guilt and it tore the heart out of the team?

While it's a given that some will say Sarver doesn't matter because you play for yourself and your teammates - still, I have to wonder how much extra effort these guys could give knowing that their efforts would benefit a racist?

I'm not passing guilt on Sarver, I don't pretend to know the truth. I'd never thought he was a racist, just a big buffoon. So, like I said, I'm not passing guilt, I'm just suggesting this as a possible explanation for what so far seems to be a mystery (referring to our late season/playoff collapse).

It's difficult to accept that the investigation hasn't been complete for quite awhile now so it wouldn't be a shock to learn that some of it has leaked to the players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How bout CP3 is just old and has never even in his prime been a player who gets it done in the playoffs.

5 blown 0-2 leads his fault or not you can’t deny it.

Biggest problem this team has is CP3. You got a bunch of mid 20 players waiting while he takes 15 seconds to get the team into the offense letting the defense get set.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bout CP3 is just old and has never even in his prime been a player who gets it done in the playoffs.

5 blown 0-2 leads his fault or not you can’t deny it.

Biggest problem this team has is CP3. You got a bunch of mid 20 players waiting while he takes 15 seconds to get the team into the offense letting the defense get set.
Injuries aside, this is really an unfair and incorrect comment. It's only true to the extent his team never gets it done in the playoffs and his injuries have contributed to this on a few occasions. But individually, he's played pretty well in the postseason. Over his playoff career he's averaged 20 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds 2 steals and fewer than 3 turnovers per game.

I do think the rest of our team would benefit from a more uptempo game than CP is capable of playing at this age. But regardless this team has not looked right since well before the playoffs so I have to believe it's something else.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know enough about Durant's previous interactions with teams to know if this is just Durant. However, if he wants out? Make a deal. Get him. Durant would get this town talking again about next season. I will take Paul, Durant and Book on the same team. At least it will make it interesting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This just sucks. Even if we somehow parlay Ayton into KD, it’ll just be another two year run with someone at the end of their prime, opening a small window.

I get that’s better than the alternative of the decade that preceded CP3, but we have just never gotten the Unicorn who gives you a shot for a decade. Chuck, Nash, CP3… all similar.

And it’s made even worse that we actually did draft a guy with unicorn size, skill and athleticism without the drive to maximize all of that. And even there, that potential looks like it’s gonzo as well.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This just sucks. Even if we somehow parlay Ayton into KD, it’ll just be another two year run with someone at the end of their prime, opening a small window.

I get that’s better than the alternative of the decade that preceded CP3, but we have just never gotten the Unicorn who gives you a shot for a decade. Chuck, Nash, CP3… all similar.

And it’s made even worse that we actually did draft a guy with unicorn size, skill and athleticism without the drive to maximize all of that. And even there, that potential looks like it’s gonzo as well.
KD is 33 - old, but not ancient. He also averaged almost 30 a game last year. I get the short window, but if we're moving on from DA, I'd prefer KD to any of the 2 dimes for a quarter trades that are being proposed.

Being good and being relevant means we're more likely to keep Book and attract top talent, which matters.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
SI Donnie Druin is reporting that the Suns have some willing trade partners for Ayton. Assuming that teams have signaled these players are available. The players mentioned are:

Hawks/Capella
Pistons/Grant
Blazer/Nurkic

Some of the stuff I am hearing is crap IMO or craptastic trade scenarios. The only one I would consider is Capella.
Those players for Ayton are such low ball offers. Well the rest of the league knows that the Suns are a amateur team. We once traded Dennis Johnson to Boston for Rick Robey and Boston responded with a championship. We also gave them Paul Silas and same results. Suns are a help you win the championship team. Some call them The Phoenix Facilitors.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those players for Ayton are such low ball offers. Well the rest of the league knows that the Suns are a amateur team. We once traded Dennis Johnson to Boston for Rick Robey and Boston responded with a championship. We also gave them Paul Silas and same results. Suns are a help you win the championship team. Some call them The Phoenix Facilitors.

James Jones is not an amateur GM. I believe he knows what he is doing although some moves frustrate me like the 2020 draft.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have even less interest in Durant than I do in James. At least James has shown leadership potential.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have even less interest in Durant than I do in James. At least James has shown leadership potential.

You also were against the CP3 trade. Sorry but you being against acquiring KD makes me hope it happens more because I can see that pushing the Suns over the edge and making them a legit title favorite.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Chris Paul wanted to go home it might make some sense.

I like Durant better though.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's with this KD talk. How could a deal even work? He makes $44M. Can someone mock up plausible trade?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's with this KD talk. How could a deal even work? He makes $44M. Can someone mock up plausible trade?

Think Ayton later on down the road with a $30 million contract. The Suns could add some pieces to make it work.

Also Chris Paul's contract after this coming season is only partially guaranteed and could be spread over years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard