Suns @ Mavericks Monday game thread 12-5-2022

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That smile of Luka's is from the fact he knows he will get away with 10-20 offensive fouls per game and the refs won't call any of them on him. He's good but receives far too much help from refs. That where I lose respect for him. His unfair advantage on calls but it's not really Luka's fault that the refs do this but rather the league's fault.

Okogie is showing some signs of life and may become a valuable defensive player for the Suns. He just can't shoot well.

We all know
James Jones needs to plug that hole at power forward if only he could get that. Torry Craig has done far better than I thought he would filling in but we not going to Finals with Craig at PF unless everybody else plays insanely great. Maybe James Jones has a trade in place after Dec.15. Crowder needs to be turned for a valuable player.

Monty's hesitant to go to Ayton even when he's hot makes me believe that Ayton will be gone at the trade deadline. Not a big fan of Monty anymore. I think the Suns are winning not so much because of Monty but rather in spite of him. Go Suns!!
Naw you don’t go to the finals and then win the most regular season games going away if you’re winning despite your coach. Monty definitely has his flaws but he’s an excellent coach. He may just not have a bench coach that fills in his gaps well (willie green anyone?). This might be a scenario though where they have to find the next coach to take that next step like collins-to-Jackson or whitehead-to-Riley. Problem is (a) who is that next guy - guess wrong and the franchise likely tumbles back some; and (b) you don’t have a lot of time if you believe Paul is necessarily part of a championship run.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That smile of Luka's is from the fact he knows he will get away with 10-20 offensive fouls per game and the refs won't call any of them on him. He's good but receives far too much help from refs. That where I lose respect for him. His unfair advantage on calls but it's not really Luka's fault that the refs do this but rather the league's fault.

Okogie is showing some signs of life and may become a valuable defensive player for the Suns. He just can't shoot well.

We all know
James Jones needs to plug that hole at power forward if only he could get that. Torry Craig has done far better than I thought he would filling in but we not going to Finals with Craig at PF unless everybody else plays insanely great. Maybe James Jones has a trade in place after Dec.15. Crowder needs to be turned for a valuable player.

Monty's hesitant to go to Ayton even when he's hot makes me believe that Ayton will be gone at the trade deadline. Not a big fan of Monty anymore. I think the Suns are winning not so much because of Monty but rather in spite of him. Go Suns!!

Ironically, I was not a fan of Okogie initially, however, he is a good defensive player and there is always a spot for one of those.

Yeah, he doesn't shoot well, but at least he pays his dues on the defensive end.

Also, I think the Suns should look at him as a third point guard. It's a way for him to get on the court and he handles the ball pretty well.

The Suns do have a huge hole for a power forward or two. They could use another shooter as well. The Suns could easily make room for those in a trade if they are willing to attach a draft pick or two.

Crowder and possibly Saric could be traded and the Suns have an open roster spot as well.

Wainright and Washington are showing why they are on two-way contracts.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's weird that they didn't adjust their defensive strategy at all after the playoffs. It was the same non-committal double teams that were just enough to leave a three point shooter open and Doncic unbothered.

You'd think with Booker being consistently doubled and the Suns having the only center on the court that they'd be able to get easy points in the paint, but Ayton cannot make more than 10 FGs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One more comment, have the Suns forgotten how to beat the Mavericks?

They had dominated the Mavericks at one time. Guard the other players and make Luka beat you. Make him carry the team by himself.

Please, no more wide open threes.

And we are just switching too easily, again. They screen off the ball, nothing crazy or anything but they know suns switch everything, Mavs wait for the right matchup.

And then the other play we FINALLY, after the playoffs and after 3 quarter of play, sniffed out was where;

They get the ball to the weak side corner 3, the other wing next to the corner 3 guy sets a running screen (pretending to slash), corner 3 guy gets a free look.

We finally figured that, that's just coaching and prep or lack of.

Offense we still run the same set s again, book dribble, two suns stand in corner, no off the ball action or screens for the matchups we want. Bleh

I think Book got pissed as he picked up a cheap ace foul call around the 10:30 mark of the 1st quarter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka's points don't worry me as much as his assists and rebounds. The Suns should make him a scorer.

Suns have to stay home on the shooters.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'd be concerned if we got smoked - AGAIN, with CP3/Cam/Jae or his replacement, actually playing. Yes, Monty and his staff need to diagnose what Dallas is doing, and develop a much more effective game-plan. Maybe it's making Luka a shooter and nothing more. Maybe it's committing to Ayton and forcing him to be our primary offensive weapon... I don't know. But we play them again later in January after the trade deadline...Should be very interesting to see the team the Suns put out on the court for that game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. This was Devin Booker's first scoreless 1st quarter in 202 games.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns just don’t like playing these guys. They know we are gonna get hosed officiating wise, then when the cheap bs calls come early and often they just sort of check out. Luka can throw tantrums and yell at refs and commit offensive foul after foul with little to no reprocussion. Book takes the ball away cleanly and head back down court and Luka throws his hands up and boom super late whistle. It’s so ridiculous I think they literally just get pissed then lose the desire to even play. Lukas nonstop working of the refs is just a joke, every play every foul dude is just nonstop with the refs, how this doesn’t get techs is crazy!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns just don’t like playing these guys. They know we are gonna get hosed officiating wise, then when the cheap bs calls come early and often they just sort of check out. Luka can throw tantrums and yell at refs and commit offensive foul after foul with little to no reprocussion. Book takes the ball away cleanly and head back down court and Luka throws his hands up and boom super late whistle. It’s so ridiculous I think they literally just get pissed then lose the desire to even play. Lukas nonstop working of the refs is just a joke, every play every foul dude is just nonstop with the refs, how this doesn’t get techs is crazy!

I'd say that was unbelievable but it isn't when it comes to:

1. Luka getting every call.
2. Booker getting hosed in non-mavs games as well

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Luka's points don't worry me as much as his assists and rebounds. The Suns should make him a scorer.

Suns have to stay home on the shooters.

Without looking it up, those rebounding and assist numbers are not any better (or at least not much better than his averages.) points per game are certainly up from his averages. Mavs beat the Suns based on suffocating Booker and no other Suns being able to score. Suns get frustrated and then they don't defend the three point shots as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without looking it up, those rebounding and assist numbers are not any better (or at least not much better than his averages.) points per game are certainly up from his averages. Mavs beat the Suns based on suffocating Booker and no other Suns being able to score. Suns get frustrated and then they don't defend the three point shots as well.

I'd feel better about giving more credit to the Mavericks defense, but I don't think the Suns came ready to play.

The Mavericks didn't play that well early. Suns didn't make shots other than Ayton, but were content to throw up 3-pointers.

Playing flat in Dallas is inexcusable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Doesn’t help your argument when you aren’t honest. Book came down across his arms. It was obvious.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This.

And he was short on his midrange in the first quarter. That tells me, "tired legs."
Yes Book has been carrying the team in Paul’s absence so to speak. Just plays lots of minutes and probably feels the pressure to be THE scorer. It’s like everyone forgets how to shoot against the Mavs it’s crazy, I mean they blew out the spurs the day before with everyone hitting shots. The next day they all forgot how to shoot and to get outrebounded by a bad rebounding team didn’t help at all…

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. This was Devin Booker's first scoreless 1st quarter in 202 games.

Mavs
In
His
Head

I wish I had a better explanation but I don't. There is no reason for Booker to play less than his best against the Mavericks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose