Suns free agency recap and going forward

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. Just every report out there on him over the past year.

Post links for all these reports or delete your account.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGee with a couple nice pick and roll flushes to end it!

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
We need a thread about team USA basketball. If France is in the finals, team USA will need to either run McGee out there to defend Gobert or run Durant at center to run him off the court.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Start with this and go forward from there, while paying attention to his struggles in the NBA and G-League.

You want a specific source? Try Jalen Smith himself...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I am Chris Paul, and the Suns go into the season with Stix as the primary back-up 4, I immediately ask for a trade. Chris Paul signed here to compete for a championship, not go back to the Earl Watson/Jay Triano/Igor Kokoskov era where they throw guys into the fire who aren't anywhere near ready.

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure you'll be clamoring for us to dump Paul if he doesn't ball out in our first preseason game... just like you did last year.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is awesome! There's an argument to be made that Book is the second most important guy on this team!
Yet according to ESPN Booker is only the fifth most important person on the team and they barely mention him in their report on the game

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this has me back to wondering if James Jones and his judgment with respect to big men is indeed a problem:

I don't know, he's seen a lot more of the kid than we have so who knows? I know I didn't see a player that looked a few months away from contributing so I have serious doubts but besides possibly being correct, it could just be JJ saying the right things. The right things being the words to build his confidence or perhaps to not impede a possible trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need a thread about team USA basketball. If France is in the finals, team USA will need to either run McGee out there to defend Gobert or run Durant at center to run him off the court.

Clippers rendered Gobert largely ineffective in the playoffs so running him off the court is probably the best strategy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clippers rendered Gobert largely ineffective in the playoffs so running him off the court is probably the best strategy.
I know that's the accepted narrative but I believe injuries to Mitchell and Conley had a lot to do with Gobert's struggles. In much the same way that CP3's injuries played a role in Ayton's offense disappearing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so tired of people with a persistent and consistent negative agenda. Talk about jumping from A to Z.

The most significant comment by James Jones in regard to Jalen Smith in this article was as follows:

“Jalen, like every guy on this team, took steps forward this year,” Jones said. “For a rookie to step into this situation, it’s extremely difficult. You go from a team that’s building to a team that’s built. And now, we’re playing playoff basketball 82 games a night. And for him, it’s been a great trajectory.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that's the accepted narrative but I believe injuries to Mitchell and Conley had a lot to do with Gobert's struggles. In much the same way that CP3's injuries played a role in Ayton's offense disappearing.

There is always more to a story but the Clippers going small pulling Gobert out of the lane to guard the likes of Bantum turned that series.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is always more to a story but the Clippers going small pulling Gobert out of the lane to guard the likes of Bantum turned that series.

Sure but basketball is about match-ups. Utah's strengths were negated by injuries to their guards which allowed LAC to go small without consequence.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm so tired of people with a persistent and consistent negative agenda. Talk about jumping from A to Z.

The most significant comment by James Jones in regard to Jalen Smith in this article was as follows:

You realize THAT is James Jones just saying the right thing not to kill Stix's confidence, right? What else is he going to say? Stix is a major disappointment because he couldn't produce in the G League? Yeah, THAT will help him develop.

The performance, especially in the G League, speaks for itself. Whatever the reasons or excuses, Jalen Smith is nowhere NEAR ready to play meaningful NBA minutes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You realize THAT is James Jones just saying the right thing not to kill Stix's confidence, right? What else is he going to say? Stix is a major disappointment because he couldn't produce in the G League? Yeah, THAT will help him develop.

The performance, especially in the G League, speaks for itself. Whatever the reasons or excuses, Jalen Smith is nowhere NEAR ready to play meaningful NBA minutes.
He could have said NOTHING.

And you don't know how he is playing in practice....but I bet you'll claim you do.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh, don't worry, I'm sure you'll be clamoring for us to dump Paul if he doesn't ball out in our first preseason game... just like you did last year.
I remember that. It was ridiculous at the time, but looks otherworldly absurd now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He could have said NOTHING.

And you don't know how he is playing in practice....but I bet you'll claim you do.

It doesn't matter how he is playing in practice. Remember the reports of how great Dragan Bender looked in practice?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You realize you doubt EVERY positive thing said about the team? I mean, I get that's who you are but what else could you say, maybe it'll work out? But then you'd sound like a.... fan... That can't be right.

Give it a rest.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You realize you doubt EVERY positive thing said about the team? I mean, I get that's who you are but what else could you say, maybe it'll work out? But then you'd sound like a.... fan... That can't be right.

Give it a rest.

Funny....most on this board were absolutely DREADING the prospect of Stix getting major rotation minutes next season. Now that the Suns didn't bother bringing in a power forward, those same people are now DEFENDING it. Being a Homer does not necessarily equate to being a fan, and one need not be a Homer in order to be a fan. Fans can also actually see the holes in their teams and want them to improve, particularly when those teams are this close to a championship but need some help to get over the hump.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point being James Jones said about the only reasonably positive thing he could about a rookie entering his second year who didn't get much playing time because he was on a contender.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny....most on this board were absolutely DREADING the prospect of Stix getting major rotation minutes next season. Now that the Suns didn't bother bringing in a power forward, those same people are now DEFENDING it. Being a Homer does not necessarily equate to being a fan, and one need not be a Homer in order to be a fan. Fans can also actually see the holes in their teams and want them to improve, particularly when those teams are this close to a championship but need some help to get over the hump.

I don't recall anyone dreading him seeing minutes next season. Quite the contrary. Most everyone said we can find minutes for him next season after he's had a little seasoning in the G League, a Summer League, a full year of NBA practices, and another training camp under his belt. Go ahead and find these posts of people dreading him seeing the floor though. I'd love to see them.

On top of that, no one is suggesting he play a big role in the rotation. Not now, not then, until he proves he's earned it. What most are saying is giving him spot minutes this season occasionally will help his development. Everyone is saying he'll be 3rd string at best, behind Jae and Cam Johnson. You however refuse to accept Cam Johnson as a PF despite him seeing the majority of his minutes last year in that role.

Don't even bother mentioning Cams weight again. Show me some of these posts you claim people were making.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson