Suns free agency recap and going forward

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am Chris Paul, and the Suns go into the season with Stix as the primary back-up 4, I immediately ask for a trade. Chris Paul signed here to compete for a championship, not go back to the Earl Watson/Jay Triano/Igor Kokoskov era where they throw guys into the fire who aren't anywhere near ready.

oh my lord... you're pathetic.

@Chris_Sanders is this troll really just gonna pollute the board from here to eternity? The idea that we're going to back to Earl Watson/Jay Triano/Igor days because after 2 days of FA we haven't locked down our backup PF, isn't legitimate basketball talk. it's flat out trolling.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
oh my lord... you're pathetic.

@Chris_Sanders is this troll really just gonna pollute the board from here to eternity? The idea that we're going to back to Earl Watson/Jay Triano/Igor days because after 2 days of FA we haven't locked down our backup PF, isn't legitimate basketball talk. it's flat out trolling.

It was a response to another poster's suggestion that it wouldn't be so bad to go into the season with Jalen Smith as the presumptive back-up power forward. My post specifically addressed the suggested prospect of that actually happening.

Frankly, I think it's pathetic for anyone to consider it acceptable for a team this close to a championship not to do everything it possibly could to get over the hump and win it.

I can't imagine that anyone on this board supports what Sarver did 15 years ago to squander the Suns' championship window. I equally can't imagine that anyone would want to see that happen again, particularly right after selling Chris Paul on the prospect of going all in to get a championship.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Yes, and they were for it because "right now, the presumptive back-up . . . is Jalen Smith". Not a word about Cam taking minutes there. Not. A. Word.
Geez dude, I don’t know why I am responding to you. I just don’t like when you blatantly try to twist things and spread misinformation… They literally started the conversation by saying that Bridges and Cam are good defenders but they are more finess defenders and in situations when they need more bulk at the 4 they currently just have Crowder and then Stix behind him, so bringing in a player like Millsap would help in those situations. I am not responding to you so we can have some back and forth. I am just trying to prevent you from doing your usual truth twisting for the other readers out there.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Geez dude, I don’t know why I am responding to you. I just don’t like when you blatantly try to twist things and spread misinformation… They literally started the conversation by saying that Bridges and Cam are good defenders but they are more finess defenders and in situations when they need more bulk at the 4 they currently just have Crowder and then Stix behind him, so bringing in a player like Millsap would help in those situations. I am not responding to you so we can have some back and forth. I am just trying to prevent you from doing your usual truth twisting for the other readers out there.

Precisely my point. That was them saying Bridges and Cam CAN'T back up at the 4 because they are not physically built to do so.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Precisely my point. That was them saying Bridges and Cam CAN'T back up at the 4 because they are not physically built to do so.
Against big lineups you moron.

dang it… I’m feeding the troll again. Sorry.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Against big lineups you moron.

dang it… I’m feeding the troll again. Sorry.

Actually, what they said was "against traditional power forwards", which is still more the norm than the exception.

Then Gambo cited the time going to Bridges and Cam as a reason it was "unlikely" the Suns would pursue someone like Oubre.

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Millsap. He's been a worker his entire career. As a backup 4, I think he fits well. I know the mentoring is sometimes over rated, but I wouldn't mind Stix getting some from a guy like Millsap.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Millsap. He's been a worker his entire career. As a backup 4, I think he fits well. I know the mentoring is sometimes over rated, but I wouldn't mind Stix getting some from a guy like Millsap.

While some mentoring wouldn't hurt, my observation is that the issue with Stix is more physical than mental. He has a good heart and a good head on his shoulders.

The problem is that he has zero lower body strength and incredibly poor lateral movement ability. And he doesn't have athleticism sufficient enough to compensate for either. That makes it equally impossible for him to defend in the post and to defend the pick and roll and against stretch 4s and 5s

I don't know yet if this is fixable, but what I do know is that if it is, the fix isn't a quick one. It is one that will take years to implement.

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While some mentoring wouldn't hurt, my observation is that the issue with Stix is more physical than mental. He has a good heart and a good head on his shoulders.

The problem is that he has zero lower body strength and incredibly poor lateral movement ability. That makes it equally impossible for him to defend in the post and to defend the pick and roll and against stretch 4s and 5s

I don't know yet if this is fixable, but what I do know is that if it is, the fix isn't a quick one. It is one that will take years to implement.

I guess I hope Millsap could be the guy that goes "You better out work everyone else in the weight room and the practice court, or you're gonna be out of the league kid...trust me...I've taken roster spots from young guys who don't work before"

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess I hope Millsap could be the guy that goes "You better out work everyone else in the weight room and the practice court, or you're gonna be out of the league kid...trust me...I've taken roster spots from young guys who don't work before"

My understanding is that he works incredibly hard. He is doing all the right things. His body, particularly his lower body, just doesn't have the capacity to do what it needs to do for him to be an NBA player (or even a G League player). At least not yet. Time will tell if and when it will...if the Suns are smart enough to give him that necessary time, starting in the G League.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Millsap with the BAE and Exum (or Avery Bradley) with the minimum…. Frank, Langston and E’Twaun thank you for your service.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My understanding is that he works incredibly hard. He is doing all the right things. His body, particularly his lower body, just doesn't have the capacity to do what it needs to do for him to be an NBA player (or even a G League player). At least not yet. Time will tell if and when it will...if the Suns are smart enough to give him that necessary time, starting in the G League.

What's your source for this?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your source for this?

The same source who told him Cam Johnson's mechanics were so slow that he couldn't even get a shot off in the NBA unless he was wide open. Remember, the same one that swore Ja Morant was the second coming of Isaiah Canaan, at best.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team USA off to another slow start. Down 6 after 1.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Team USA off to another slow start. Down 6 after 1.
I don’t understand why we don’t take it to the basket more often. It is also amazing how often the Australians are able to beat us 1 on 1.

JerkFace

Reaction score
0-5 from 3
5 turnovers in the first quarter

update:
now 0-8 from 3
8 turnovers.

update:
went 0-10 from 3 before Booker finally made one.

Update:
wow! They have hit the switch in the second half. Hopefully they can maintain it.

Booker was one of the main keys to the turnaround. Huge 3rd quarter from him. He single handily outscored Australia in the quarter.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got themselves down 15 before they kinda woke up. Down 5 at the half.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Tatum is looking bad. Dame's game doesn't work internationally. This roster is not great. They gotta lean heavily on

Jrue
Booker
Durant
Tatum
Draymond

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 point turnaround since mid 2nd quarter.

Book has had a great 3rd to lead the charge.

NBC should have gone with the fake crowd noise. There’s just a little bit of juice missing without it.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
This is awesome! There's an argument to be made that Book is the second most important guy on this team!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA