Suns Forum Rules

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are subject to additions or changes but as they stand now:

#1. No cursing. There are children that visit this site. Please assume that they are lurking at any time. Cursing in a post will result in post removal and eventually more.

#2. No insults. While any internet message board will eventually have disagreements, it is possible to disagree without getting personal. Calling someone an idiot isn't acceptable.

#3. No multiple accounts. Anyone caught having multiple accounts will have one of their accounts banned.

#4. No trolling. If you are visiting this site from another board than you will act like a guest. If not you will be removed. This includes taunting with images and what not. If you wish to act as such, there is a place for that on the board called the Smack Shack.

#5 Honor the trade forum. Relevant reported trade discussions are welcome in the main Suns forum as news. If you have a trade idea that you created on your own or co-opted from another non-news source, please put it in the trade forum.

#6. Moderator decisions are final. Publicly complaining about them will only result in further action.

#7 No inappropriate images. If you wouldn't want your mother to see it than don't post it.

These posted rules count as your warning. It is your responsibility as a user of this site to promote a healthy community and behave accordingly. Penalties will depend on the severity of the infraction but will usually result in a short break from the Suns board. Trolling will be dealt with harshest.

Djaughe

Reaction score
***BUMP***

I'm bumping this thread for the new posters and Trolls checking into this site.

Spurs Fan - your opinions on the series is welcomed....unless yer a heckling troll in which you will be banned.

Smack Talk Threads will be moved to the Smack Shack Forum.

Thank you.

:cheers:

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe it has been almost 14 years since I wrote this post....time flies...

There has been some concern about moderating on this forum and I wanted to address that.

#1. Trolling is at the sole discretion of the moderators. We cannot put any posters on ignore so we see it all.

#2. When determining the length of any ban, there are many factors including the severity and past history of the offender. Repeat offenders always face more progressive bans.

#3. As above, publicly questioning a moderator will earn you a ban as well. This will typically be between 1 day to a week depending on the response.

However, you can PM me virtually anything and I won't hold it against you. I welcome feedback.

I am currently the only active moderator on this board. If anyone else wants to spend their free time doing this, we can always use another one.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Like Chris said above, if any of you are interested in becoming a mod, let us know.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look here as well as the governing rules for the board: (>16 years in the making, LOL)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So...... a lot of us are getting really tired of the personal attacks in this forum.

The attacks are very bad timing since we are on the verge of a potential championship run and a lot of people would like to hang out here and enjoy the games. Doing so is often an escape from personal hardship, work stress, etc. that many are experiencing and shouldn't have to worry about coming in here and getting attacked during the games.

As I understand it, the rules aren't really enforced during the games. It shouldn't be ok to levy personal attacks during the games and this should not be condoned. The rules should apply at all times.

Thanks for listening!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...... a lot of us are getting really tired of the personal attacks in this forum.

The attacks are very bad timing since we are on the verge of a potential championship run and a lot of people would like to hang out here and enjoy the games. Doing so is often an escape from personal hardship, work stress, etc. that many are experiencing and shouldn't have to worry about coming in here and getting attacked during the games.

As I understand it, the rules aren't really enforced during the games. It shouldn't be ok to levy personal attacks during the games and this should not be condoned. The rules should apply at all times.

Thanks for listening!

The attacks get old. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring them, game or not, unless they get too personal. I don't see the need for them.

A person can say what they what to say without animus and move on. Nobody is scoring any touchdowns in an arguing match.

Like you, I come here to relax, enjoy the conversation and talk about the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with all @Absolute Zero said and hope there is a change made for the better because I've avoided game day threads because of some of the in fighting that inevitably starts up when certain players are questioned.

It seems the recent trade has caused even more division amongst the fan base though and that sucks, especially since we could be on the verge of a title run. That's why the finals run 2 years ago was great, so many were just happy to be relevant again that no one was really giving each other a hard time for enjoying the ride. Doesn't seem there will be the same shared camaraderie this go around but that's ok. We don't need to push each others buttons in the meantime. There's plenty of other fans that want the Suns to fail, no one should be roofing for failure from within the fan base just to say "I told you so!".

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Thanks for listening!

The Suns forum, with the exception of P&R, has been the most vitriolic forum on the entire board for as long as I can remember. I joined the board in 2005 for the sole purpose of discussing Suns, but have mostly gravitated to Cards and UofA. Part of that decision had to do with the members' behavior on this forum. I'm certainly not a saint here as I've admittedly engaged in personal attacks towards others and need to do a better job of self-monitoring my own behavior, but I can tell you personally that as recently as three weeks ago, considered outright quitting ASFN entirely, and that sucks considering we are looking at a potential championship run.

In my opinion, Mods need to do a better job of holding members accountable, even if it means banning me and other veteran posters when we act a fool. I know it's hard to ban long-standing members here, but difficult decisions need to be made for order to be restored.

:soapbox:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's the cheap little digs that drive most of the bad behavior on this forum. It starts with something as simple as "I can't believe you would even ask that" or "what a crazy thing to say" or "if you think this you are ___" and it just devolves from there. I try to always keep those little throw in comments out of my posts. Sometimes I will type them out, but get rid of it before hitting the post button. Those things do absolutely nothing to promote healthy debate and conversation.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
A problem is that many people see no difference between insulting the message (fine) and insulting the messenger (not fine). I think that "what a stupid thing to say" in theory should be acceptable; but in practice it isn't, because too many think it means "what a stupid person you are."
But why call the opinion stupid to begin with? You could simply state that you completely disagree and you get the same point across without potentially making someone feel personally attacked.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But why call the opinion stupid to begin with? You could simply state that you completely disagree and you get the same point across without potentially making someone feel personally attacked.

Exactly. No need to use inflammatory words.

It's a fine line between calling a person's idea as "stupid" and calling the person "stupid." Some posters use it as a means to insult another poster while relying on a technicality to distinguish it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Too many people think that their way is the only way.

Can I ask whether you articulate that perspective to board members privately, as in, "Yes, I'm talking about you"? Because I'm pretty sure that some of the worst offenders don't think that the criticism applies to them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's the cheap little digs that drive most of the bad behavior on this forum. It starts with something as simple as "I can't believe you would even ask that" or "what a crazy thing to say" or "if you think this you are ___" and it just devolves from there. I try to always keep those little throw in comments out of my posts. Sometimes I will type them out, but get rid of it before hitting the post button. Those things do absolutely nothing to promote healthy debate and conversation.
This is a great observation. I know I’m often guilty of it. I’m going to try to catch myself from now on (in fact I think I just did it taking about shaq).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a non-Suns fan, it is always a fun read. The constant in-fighting, etc.

:grabs:

:jedi:

PHI PHX PHAN

Rookie
Reaction score
Is there a way to question a decision or express thoughts to a mod without being banned? Like can you message a mod without incurring some wrath?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to question a decision or express thoughts to a mod without being banned? Like can you message a mod without incurring some wrath?

Not a mod but I've always PM'd mods and they've been awesome in private conversation and they're all very receptive and open to discussion if approached politely. I don't think you'd start a PM by laying into them but who knows what people will do. The times I've spoken with the mods who replied to you, both @Ronin and @jf-08 have been great in PM's. I'll also mention that @Shaggy is awesome as well, he's the head honcho as the board/site owner.

Just thought I'd share my experience as I've been in a similar place you are and didn't know where to turn. Those who replied are a good place to start.