Suns fire assistant coaches

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a joke. Whenever "assistants" are fired this is more of a PR move for the fans to let them know they are doing "something" but the reality is...this does nothing. There is no way this team goes into next season with Jeff as the HC unless there is some miraculous turn of events.

Firing Jeff and McD would have been a start. This is more like a false start.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What a joke. Whenever "assistants" are fired this is more of a PR move for the fans to let them know they are doing "something" but the reality is...this does nothing. There is no way this team goes into next season with Jeff as the HC unless there is some miraculous turn of events.

Firing Jeff and McD would have been a start. This is more like a false start.

Not really. Maybe that's the case when the Head Coach fires them but this was against Jeff's wishes. Not firing him immediately was schedule based. Hornacek is going to be fired shortly, this isn't an effort to fool the fans IMO. McDonough is probably still safe at least for awhile.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. Maybe that's the case when the Head Coach fires them but this was against Jeff's wishes. Not firing him immediately was schedule based. Hornacek is going to be fired shortly, this isn't an effort to fool the fans IMO. McDonough is probably still safe at least for awhile.

Not buying it. I have seen coaches fired from every sport on just about every major team regardless of schedule. I mean...maybe that is a factor but firing assistants BEFORE a HC says PR to me. Heck it could be the organization legitimately trying to light a fire under Jeff's backside.

You are probably right....nothing will probably happen to McD. However, I would clean house. Fire Babby, McD and Jeff. Hell....I would be happy just with Babby and Jeff.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not buying it. I have seen coaches fired from every sport on just about every major team regardless of schedule. I mean...maybe that is a factor but firing assistants BEFORE a HC says PR to me. Heck it could be the organization legitimately trying to light a fire under Jeff's backside.

Take a look at our upcoming schedule. Not too many coaches would want to walk into that situation. I really don't believe there is any intention of keeping Jeff beyond this season regardless how it plays out and I expect him to be fired long before season's end. We'll see.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at our upcoming schedule. Not too many coaches would want to walk into that situation. I really don't believe there is any intention of keeping Jeff beyond this season regardless how it plays out and I expect him to be fired long before season's end. We'll see.

For the most part interim coaches don't care. They just want the job. I do agree though....I seriously doubt they plan on keeping Jeff beyond the season.

I just don't see how Babby still has his job.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Well at least it's a start. Hope Sarver goes after an established coach for once. Only problem seems to be his unwillingness to pay and his want to be involved.

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For the most part interim coaches don't care. They just want the job. I do agree though....I seriously doubt they plan on keeping Jeff beyond the season.

I just don't see how Babby still has his job.

He doesn't. He retired shortly after the season and is now supposedly consulting for us.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Bizarre move. It does make it clear to everyone that Jeff is powerless since he doesn't get the assistants he wants. It makes you wonder if McD has some 'back channel' information from players and other assistants that Sighting and Longabardi were undermining Jeff in some way or just jockeying to be the guy that replaced him since they could guess his days were numbered. (Like the rest of us.)

As a PR move it has to be a non-starter, as they say in racing circles...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't. He retired shortly after the season and is now supposedly consulting for us.

Right...we discussed this in another thread. Consulting is still a job. It might be in name only but he is still listed as part of the Executive Team. They need to cut all ties with the old guard. Period. Just like they did after Jerry left and they "cleaned house". It needs to happen again.

McD has been a roller coaster. Somethings I like that he did and others have been a disaster. Jeff needs to go. The funny thing is when McD came in and Sarver took a step back it appeared the organization was doing the right thing and letting basketball guys do their thing. Where the hell did things go off the rails?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns FO wanted to make a move now to show fans they are doing something. IMO, it will not help much as I think it is primarily done for appearance. It now appears the Suns will let Hornacek's contract expire rather than fire him. Maybe it is best for all as the Suns are not going anywhere. They will hire a new coach after the season.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Well at least it's a start. Hope Sarver goes after an established coach for once. Only problem seems to be his unwillingness to pay and his want to be involved.

What are you talking about? Sarver doesn't get involved anymore. The Suns have also spent near max cap every year. The push was to get a star PF this off season and move Morris. Neither worked.

This was a winning team last year, so you try to add a major piece. Would have tought Keef would be a huge baby and just sulk all the time. He seemed to do OK without is bro the first few years.

You can tell this team, just hates playing together. I am not sure that is 100% Keef, it could be other players as well. But there is something major wrong with the team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I read it the same way initially but after a re-read I'm pretty sure he meant as a coach when he referenced Utah as first ("and played there as well").

Correct. I read what I wrote and it was confusing to me too. Sleep deprived past couple of days.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think the Suns FO wanted to make a move now to show fans they are doing something. IMO, it will not help much as I think it is primarily done for appearance. It now appears the Suns will let Hornacek's contract expire rather than fire him. Maybe it is best for all as the Suns are not going anywhere. They will hire a new coach after the season.

That is why I did my super sarcastic response. Partly just to be a smart elek, cuz thats what I am, lol, but also because this "move" is indicative of just how inept ownership is right now. This just wreaked of a "look, we did something" PR move. I mean seriously, what exactly did they hope to change about the arc of this season by replacing the assistant coaches? Totally weak.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Sarver doesn't get involved anymore. The Suns have also spent near max cap every year. The push was to get a star PF this off season and move Morris. Neither worked.

I read a recent quote by Jeff on rotations that it was a joint decision between him, McD and Sarver, if I understood it correctly. Maybe someone remembers?

I meant paying for a top class coach. We haven't had that in a long time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. In his interview on KTAR yesterday Horny said that Sarver brought everyone in, including players (starting it sounded like) and got their opinion on what needed to change. It was then Sarver's decision to fire the two assistant coaches based upon player input. Horny also said that he had never heard of that being done before and then passed it off as that's the way it goes sometimes.

Wow. The owner comes in and overrules his coach, GM, and everyone else that might be in the chain of command and fires two lower level employees. That is not how to run an organization IMO.

I don't see Horny staying long, even if Sarver wants to keep him. I also don't see McD staying long. No one in their right mind wants to work for a boss that pulls the rug out from under you like that. The only way you make that call as an owner is if there is some sort of non-basketball issue that demands firing.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt Sarver "wants" to keep Hornacek.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've heard he's highly regarded but we looked like we'd fired our defensive coordinator long before we actually did.

I think he will end up wherever Thibs ends up coaching next season.

Or maybe with the Clippers.

bwgood77

Reaction score
I've heard he's highly regarded but we looked like we'd fired our defensive coordinator long before we actually did.

There was also talk about the two ousted assistants were also undermining Hornacek, and from experience, I know that when guys who are second or third in command start talking to people under them about them disagreeing with who is in charge, it gets toxic.

I'm guessing guys like Morris and Goodwin would lose respect for Hornacek in such a situation, but other more stand up guys like Chandler would lose respect for the assistants, and after the interviews that seems pretty apparent.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There was also talk about the two ousted assistants were also undermining Hornacek, and from experience, I know that when guys who are second or third in command start talking to people under them about them disagreeing with who is in charge, it gets toxic.

I'm guessing guys like Morris and Goodwin would lose respect for Hornacek in such a situation, but other more stand up guys like Chandler would lose respect for the assistants, and after the interviews that seems pretty apparent.

Wow. Thanks for that, I had no idea. It makes you wonder why Jeff reportedly was so adamant against them being fired.