Suns fire assistant coaches

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for that, I had no idea. It makes you wonder why Jeff reportedly was so adamant against them being fired.
Possibly because he is too nice a guy to play politics or even recognize it. The same personality that led Jeff to lose control of his players. Examples of why he is on the outside looking in, even though he is still officially on the inside.

Through my management career, I disliked playing politics. Initially, I expected everyone to have the same ethics as I. But I learned quickly that you have to understand that they don't to achieve results.

I get the impression that Jeff didn't catch on. Or just wasn't capable of the fortitude required to be the guy on the hot seat. Out there for everyone to see.

Time will tell if Sarver will take action vs. having stooges with no prior experience as GM and Head Coach to let him pretend that he knows basketball.

Meeting with them before games to plan the rotation for that night. Bullfeathers! Unprofessional. Which pretty much describes the level the Suns have reached (down to).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Possibly because he is too nice a guy to play politics or even recognize it. The same personality that led Jeff to lose control of his players. Examples of why he is on the outside looking in, even though he is still officially on the inside.

Through my management career, I disliked playing politics. Initially, I expected everyone to have the same ethics as I. But I learned quickly that you have to understand that they don't to achieve results.

I get the impression that Jeff didn't catch on. Or just wasn't capable of the fortitude required to be the guy on the hot seat. Out there for everyone to see.

Time will tell if Sarver will take action vs. having stooges with no prior experience as GM and Head Coach to let him pretend that he knows basketball.

Meeting with them before games to plan the rotation for that night. Bullfeathers! Unprofessional. Which pretty much describes the level the Suns have reached (down to).

Man. You have decided Hornacek has nice guy disease based upon Cotton's paper boy comment from 25 years ago, even though that was about his looks, not his demeanor.

I don't know if you have noticed this nice guy has Kieff sitting on the end of the bench, is playing rookies, even though it is costing games, and has said during interviews that Kieff isn't committed here. That's not nice guy talk.

You might disagree with Horny's choices, but to call him a stooge and act like he has no experience (coach's Sun, all-star player, assistant coach under one of the best ever). Horny has more experience that Kidd or Kerr by far. not saying he is a better coach, but experience is not the issue.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Man. You have decided Hornacek has nice guy disease based upon Cotton's paper boy comment from 25 years ago, even though that was about his looks, not his demeanor ...

Horny has more experience that Kidd or Kerr by far. not saying he is a better coach, but experience is not the issue.
Which is why I began my post by saying, "Possibly because he is too nice a guy to play politics or even recognize it."

I was responding to Catlover's wondering why Jeff reportedly was so adamant against the two Assistant Coaches being fired, despite them undermining him.

The Head Coach has to know what's going on. It is a far greater responsibility than being one of the Assistants.

My observation is that Jeff hasn't shown the skill to be the guy in the hot seat.

To stand up to the owner and say, "You hired me to coach, now let me coach. I'll decide the rotation."

To pick a rotation and give it a chance to build chemistry and gel, rather than changing it from game to game to keep everyone on the roster happy.

To not announce to the Press after every game how the players are not doing what he wants them to do.

And to be a lame duck Coach and have to go through every agonizing day of it, with his contract not being renewed.

Jeff is in over his head as Head Coach. Isn't that obvious? I feel for him. I expect he'll be relieved when he is relieved of that burden.

And he can return to the level of Assistant Coach (perhaps back with the Jazz). He wouldn't be the first Suns Head Coach under Sarver to experience a demotion with another team. Look at all the Head Coaches he's gone through.

As I said, I feel for Jeff. And I wonder how Sarver is ever going to hire an experienced Head Coach who will get the Suns back in the playoffs.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Read today that Longabardi was hired by the Cavs... article said that Leu and he were assistants together - under Doc Rivers IIRC.