Suns blogger and Bright Side founder Dave King passes away at 57

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Melanoma...

Get any new, fast growing moles or skin blotches checked fellas. Especially if you've spent a lot of your life in the sun.

One of my good friends from college had a mole on his calf, got it looked at, doctor told him it was probably nothing but to come back if it grew... he ignored the advice and the thing more than tripled in size before he got it checked again, by then it was in his lymph nodes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had Dave King as one of my bookmarks.

Rest in Peace.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Melanoma...

Get any new, fast growing moles or skin blotches checked fellas. Especially if you've spent a lot of your life in the sun.

One of my good friends from college had a mole on his calf, got it looked at, doctor told him it was probably nothing but to come back if it grew... he ignored the advice and the thing more than tripled in size before he got it checked again, by then it was in his lymph nodes.
I had a cancerous skin blotch removed from my left bicep a couple months ago. I have a two inch scar to prove it. It came out of nowhere one day. My primary care physician said to have it checked by a dermatologist and sure enough the biopsy came back cancerous and I had to have it removed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a cancerous skin blotch removed from my left bicep a couple months ago. I have a two inch scar to prove it. It came out of nowhere one day. My primary care physician said to have it checked by a dermatologist and sure enough the biopsy came back cancerous and I had to have it removed.
I spent the 60's poolside in the Valley sun and never used any protection so needless to say I've had several removed through the years (2 on my nose, 1 on my cheek and 3 on my forearms), fortunately none of them melanoma.

My most recent skin lesion 3 months ago was on my right ear. They didn't even biopsy it, just said it was skin cancer and gave me a cream to put on it daily for a month. Within a few days, the back side of my ear was being eaten away by this cream and eventually much of my ear scabbed over. But once the scab was gone, it all healed perfectly. I don't know if that cream only works on certain types of skin cancers but it seemed like a miracle to me since I was expecting it to be like the lesions on my nose which required skin grafts after the cancer excisions.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had some precancerous skin lesions removed from my head area over the years using liquid nitrogen. I believe it's called Cryotherapy. It's a relatively quick and easy procedure. It leaves a temporary burn like mark, but when the scab comes off, the skin seems back to normal. My family doctor has been willing to do it in his office.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I spent the 60's poolside in the Valley sun and never used any protection so needless to say I've had several removed through the years (2 on my nose, 1 on my cheek and 3 on my forearms), fortunately none of them melanoma.

My most recent skin lesion 3 months ago was on my right ear. They didn't even biopsy it, just said it was skin cancer and gave me a cream to put on it daily for a month. Within a few days, the back side of my ear was being eaten away by this cream and eventually much of my ear scabbed over. But once the scab was gone, it all healed perfectly. I don't know if that cream only works on certain types of skin cancers but it seemed like a miracle to me since I was expecting it to be like the lesions on my nose which required skin grafts after the cancer excisions.
Bro in law did the cream all over his face. Crazy that it only has impact on cancer. He looks like he got dragged on the side of his face by mad max. But when the scabbing is done he’s supposed to be brand new.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've had some precancerous skin lesions removed from my head area over the years using liquid nitrogen. I believe it's called Cryotherapy. It's a relatively quick and easy procedure. It leaves a temporary burn like mark, but when the scab comes off, the skin seems back to normal. My family doctor has been willing to do it in his office.

Yeah, my dad has had a lot of those on his face from flying in the Air Force. When they heal you can hardly tell anything was done. But catching that stuff early is key.

Side note, and something that I only found out about late today, one of my dad's best buddies from the Air Force just died from bone cancer... apparently it's being recently realized that the powerful radars in fighter jets is causing a high rate of cancers in both pilots and ground crew who end up infront of the radars before and after landing. This is my dad's second friend to died of bone cancer (a very rare primary cancer) and my dad is in remission from throat cancer despite never being a tobacco user.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, my dad has had a lot of those on his face from flying in the Air Force. When they heal you can hardly tell anything was done. But catching that stuff early is key.

Side note, and something that I only found out about late today, one of my dad's best buddies from the Air Force just died from bone cancer... apparently it's being recently realized that the powerful radars in fighter jets is causing a high rate of cancers in both pilots and ground crew who end up infront of the radars before and after landing. This is my dad's second friend to died of bone cancer (a very rare primary cancer) and my dad is in remission from throat cancer despite not being a tobacco user.

Don't wanna hijack the thread, I probably should have posted this elsewhere.

I will keep it on topic from here, but thank a vet next time you see one. Even in peace time they take risks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
R.I.P. Wow...much to young. Freaking cancer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has frustrating 4th quarter loss written all over it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard