Suns are frontrunners to sign Bol Bol

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was guessing about Toppin but I heard rumors about Avdija possibly dropping to the Suns.

I liked Toppin coming out, he was a fan favorite but I'm not sure the front office was high on him. Avdija fit the Suns mold a bit better. He could have replaced Dario and been a more effective Point Forward.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Are we not entertained? And are we not pleased at the same time? I mean that was the knock on the kid - all the size in the world but the heart of a point guard

Now the kid is tracking shots - putting himself in position for the rebound - like his dad used to

Now the kid is providing the rim protection we needed - and against point guards too lol!

In just 2 games Bol Bol has shown he's both moldable and coachable - he's shown discipline - and he's shown a sh*t ton of confidence on both sides of the ball

Couldn't have come at a better time neither - while we were praying for rain Vogel went and updated an abandoned well

Yes - granted it's only been a couple games - but you can't fake focus - this kid listens

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we not entertained? And are we not pleased at the same time? I mean that was the knock on the kid - all the size in the world but with the heart of a point guard

Now the kid is tracking shots - putting himself in position for the rebound - like his dad used to

Now the kid is providing the rim protection we needed - and against point guards lol!

In just 2 games Bol Bol has shown he's both moldable and coachable - he's shown discipline - and he's shown a sh*t ton of confidence on both sides of the ball

Couldn't have come at a better time neither - while we were praying for rain Vogel went and updated an abandoned well

Yes - granted it's only been a couple games - but you can't fake focus - this kid listens
I want to believe. But my lifelong love affair with Arizona sports has left me skeptical.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to believe. But my lifelong love affair with Arizona sports has left me skeptical.

It's AZ sports after all. Bol could be legit and we have no way to retain him next season since he's on a 1 year deal. No team or player option and far too early for bird rights.

That's probably the most AZ sports twist of it all. Find a potential big for the future and have no way to keep him after developing him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah it’s going to take a LOT more than two games of modest production to change my opinion. And I was a big proponent of what the heck bring him in and see if there’s something buried there.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Are we not entertained? And are we not pleased at the same time? I mean that was the knock on the kid - all the size in the world but the heart of a point guard

Now the kid is providing the rim protection we needed - and against point guards too lol!

For some reason, Vogel didn't seem to instil any structure both on O and D into the play early in the season. He just let them play out according to their acquired and trained instincts as a basketball player. We saw the results, and Bol got lost on court like a clown with the little time he got. It seems the players all get tighter instructions as to what to do and how to do on the court. Bang, Bol's come to life. If he keeps performing like this, we might have a good trade bait by the trading deadline, or just have him play out this season if he's deemed to potentially help in the playoffs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah it’s going to take a LOT more than two games of modest production to change my opinion. And I was a big proponent of what the heck bring him in and see if there’s something buried there.
100%

But you have to start somewhere. At least the first step or two has been taken and he hasn't collapsed yet.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that in 37 games last year before catching covid he was averaging 12 points, 7 Rebounds and 1.6 blocks in 26 minutes on 59% from the field and 39% from 3.

A couple solid games should not be a surprise and with consistent playing time you can get some good games from him. You just have to be willing to live with the occasional bonehead play that he's going to make.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that in 37 games last year before catching covid he was averaging 12 points, 7 Rebounds and 1.6 blocks in 26 minutes on 59% from the field and 39% from 3.

A couple solid games should not be a surprise and with consistent playing time you can get some good games from him. You just have to be willing to live with the occasional bonehead play that he's going to make.
Devin Booker is one of my favorite all time Suns players and rarely does a game go by that he doesn't have one of those bonehead plays you're talking about. I can live with it if Bol still fills his role most of the time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Devin Booker is one of my favorite all time Suns players and rarely does a game go by that he doesn't have one of those bonehead plays you're talking about. I can live with it if Bol still fills his role most of the time.
Well for Bol it might be 2 a game, but he can do enough good to offset that. What's hard for the coach is constantly going back to him after have a couple bonehead plays in a short period or a game where he is particularly bad.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There are also a play or two each game that only Bol Bol can make. Like getting to a rebound because of his height and wingspan. So if he can keep his errors below what positives he is giving us, that's a win.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are also a play or two each game that only Bol Bol can make. Like getting to a rebound because of his height and wingspan. So if he can keep his errors below what positives he is giving us, that's a win.

He’s had two games in a row where he drove in, and two or more defenders couldn’t do anything about it. He kept the ball high and finished both times. Only he and Wemby are capable of those plays.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s had two games in a row where he drove in, and two or more defenders couldn’t do anything about it. He kept the ball high and finished both times. Only he and Wemby are capable of those plays.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh...

Let's not get silly here.

This feels like comparing Archie Goodwin to Ja Morant.

A part of one week mostly lacking in incompetence does not equate to competence. He has a ways to go still before I, or anyone, should trust him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh...

Let's not get silly here.

This feels like comparing Archie Goodwin to Ja Morant.

A part of one week mostly lacking in incompetence does not equate to competence. He has a ways to go still before I, or anyone, should trust him.
I think you completely missed my point, you’re talking about competence and trust…? Not sure where I alluded to that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I feel like that was part of the problem with Ayton that frustrated us so much, in that he would bring the ball down on drives and get stripped so many times.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm skeptical that Bol's productivity is sustainable, but if it is, it's definitely a massive boon for the Suns. The potential has always been there, but the knack on Bol since high school is that he didnt love the game, which is why a guy with his potential plummeted to the 2nd round

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
He sure seems like he has been loving the last couple games. Its fun to watch, though I feel like he's going to snap in 1/2 when there's contact.

Also, Is it true we have no way to sign him if he continues to play well?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He sure seems like he has been loving the last couple games. Its fun to watch, though I feel like he's going to snap in 1/2 when there's contact.

We can sign guys to vet minimums.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score

Bol has some skills that the Suns can use in relief minutes......play him. Bol could use about 20 more pounds,,,,he's listed at 220.
His father was 7'7" and only weighed 200 pounds.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
He's shining as another off-ball rim protector. He may not block a lot of shots, but he's deterring drives just by his sheer size and length. For a team that's sorely lacking in interior defense, he's been a huge help on that front.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson