Suns are frontrunners to sign Bol Bol

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank Vogel must have a plan to use Bol Bol or I don't think it would happen. It will be interesting to see how he is used.

Ish Wainright fills the 15th standard roster spot, although his salary is not guaranteed.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m really not sure about this. Does anyone really think he will be a useful playoff center for us?

since we can only sign him to minimum contract again next year he is not developmental.

maybe the goal is just to entertain the fans.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fine!
I suppose we still need a mascot, wonder if he would wear a predator mask on the sidelines.
He has actually shown improvement this last season. And plays UP against Jokic cause they were teammates.

I hope Mr. Vogel really is the center whisperer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Germz249 should be saying this as the forum insider, but I don't think the Suns are going to waste a roster spot.

There is a reason. Something may be cooking

On a side note, I understand Bol Bol is really loved by the fans.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Bol is a younger guy with some developmental upside. He was a top 5 recruit coming out of high school, and possibly would have been a top 10 draft pick if he hadn't had a season ending injury early on in his freshman year at Oregon.

The Suns are (relatively) short on draft picks for the next six years, so they are probably taking a flyer that he can still be developed. Plus he gives them a guy they can feasibly match up against Wembanyama and/or Holmgren... which in either case, will probably be a lot like watching two of those inflatable tube men you see along the road at used car lots flailing in the breeze.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@Germz249 should be saying this as the forum insider, but I don't think the Suns are going to waste a roster spot.

There is a reason. Something may be cooking

On a side note, I understand Bol Bol is really loved by the fans.

I was pretty drunk last night so disclaimer right off the bat some of the discussion might not be exactly as how I say or really the whole event may not have even happened at all. I was at a dinner meeting last night with high ranking officials within the organization at Applebees. The topic was brought up a few times over the nacho appetizers.

I know its split between the fan base but I can say there are very serious talks. Talks are not about the pay but more about playing. Its about playing time and role on the team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Would make sense if it were for multiple years with player options maybe. I believe that would give us the ability to extend him for more than the minimum if we like what we get from him. I assume that is how that would work anyways.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m really not sure about this. Does anyone really think he will be a useful playoff center for us?

since we can only sign him to minimum contract again next year he is not developmental.

maybe the goal is just to entertain the fans.
They will sign him to a multiyear deal. Watch. It's kinda like having a draft pick. Young player to develop.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I have to wonder what nickname Al McCoy would have given Bol Bol? If only Al could have held on for another year. :(

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He’s bad on defense and boards.
He's a good shot blocker and averages about 10 boards per 36. :shrug:

He also had some good advanced stats on defense last year as well.

Ranked #8 in the league in block percentage and #17 in defensive rebound percentage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pretty drunk last night so disclaimer right off the bat some of the discussion might not be exactly as how I say or really the whole event may not have even happened at all. I was at a dinner meeting last night with high ranking officials within the organization at Applebees. The topic was brought up a few times over the nacho appetizers.

I know its split between the fan base but I can say there are very serious talks. Talks are not about the pay but more about playing. Its about playing time and role on the team.

With Bol Bol playing some center, do you think this might allow the Suns to give Ayton some minutes at power forward?

I could also see the roles reversed.

Please ignore the hissing and booing in the background.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Bol Bol playing some center, do you think this might allow the Suns to give Ayton some minutes at power forward?

I could also see the roles reversed.

Please ignore the hissing and booing in the background.

Boo hiss.

Give up on this idea please.

Ayton isn't a power forward, he has never been a power forward, he will never be a power forward, everything in his skill set is better suited at the 5.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a good shot blocker and averages about 10 boards per 36. :shrug:

He also had some good advanced stats on defense last year as well.

Ranked #8 in the league in block percentage and #17 in defensive rebound percentage.

I think per 36 is misleading, even so, his per 36 ranks him outside the top 90 in rebounding.

I also think blocks are an overrated stat. Chasing around ball handlers hoping to get a block is bad defense, when I see his blocks that is mostly how they've come, weak side help. Meanwhile he gets bullied down low.

I don't hate the signing, it is a flyer on a young guy, we should make these kinds of gambles, but I also think we're going to discover why he's been dumped twice already.

He just kinda sucks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think per 36 is misleading, even so, his per 36 ranks him outside the top 90 in rebounding.

I also think blocks are an overrated stat. Chasing around ball handlers hoping to get a block is bad defense, when I see his blocks that is mostly how they've come, weak side help. Meanwhile he gets bullied down low.

I don't hate the signing, it is a flyer on a young guy, we should make these kinds of gambles, but I also think we're going to discover why he's been dumped twice already.

He just kinda sucks.
I disagree with your assessment.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

He just kinda sucks.
The man blocks 5.5% of all 2 point attempts while he's on the floor. I fail to see how that isn't valuable. Statistically he is an overall average or so player while having poor offensive stats. This highly suggests that he is actually quite a good defender.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boo hiss.

Give up on this idea please.

Ayton isn't a power forward, he has never been a power forward, he will never be a power forward, everything in his skill set is better suited at the 5.

You would have got a kick out of it, but one of the announcers on NBA TV (didn't get his name) was pushing for the Suns to play Ayton at power forward.

I've mentioned the idea before, but I was joking above.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with your assessment.
The man blocks 5.5% of all 2 point attempts while he's on the floor. I fail to see how that isn't valuable. Statistically he is an overall average or so player while having poor offensive stats. This highly suggests that he is actually quite a good defender.

How good do you guys think he is?

He is a former 2nd round pick that has been traded 3 times, one was voided because he failed his physical, and then waived, and went unclaimed on waivers.

I don't mind the signing but don't expect this guy to make an impact. I think he is more likely to get waived (again) than to be a regular rotation guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course John Gambadoro weighs in.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads