Suns are frontrunners to sign Bol Bol

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's significant phraz? Wow me with this significantly higher number

Bol has a 17.6% turnover percentage, which is really high. Ayton is just 11.4, which isn't great either but he also sees a lot more time so his numbers are more accurate than Bol's in that regard.

Make no mistake, Bol Bol is not going replace Ayton and those who call Ayton soft, a finesse player, and scared of contact are going to loath Bol²

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we added a potential franchise Center when we traded Googs to Utah in a salary dump for Keon Clark back when Marbury was dealt in 03.

That's a move that doesn't get near the level of hate the KT salary dump does. We gave up 2 1sts and a 2nd in that deal also. One being the 16th pick in 2004, Kirk Snyder was selected who showed flashes but washed out. Then the second 1st was in 2010, which selected Gordon Hayward, #9 overall. Can you imagine if we had Hayward here for that 2010 team? Then trading Marion for Shaq doesn't look so bad and we can bring Grant Hill off the bench as a 6th man.

Gordon Hayward would have been nice, but I had no illusions that the Gugliotta trade was anything more than a salary dump to make it easier for Colangelo to sell the Suns.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's significant phraz? Wow me with this significantly higher number

17% of the time ball is in Bol's hands it ends with him turning it over, for Ayton that number is 11%. Despite Ayton playing 500 more minutes their total turnovers on the season are nearly identical.

Bol's hands suck, he can't bang inside, he is waaaaay worse on the glass than Ayton.

All the stuff you crush Ayton for are things that Bol is terrible at.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
17% of the time ball is in Bol's hands it ends with him turning it over, for Ayton that number is 11%. Despite Ayton playing 500 more minutes their total turnovers on the season are nearly identical.

Bol's hands suck, he can't bang inside, he is waaaaay worse on the glass than Ayton.

Ayton is a far superior player but much of the DA hating stems from not just his wasted potential but his 34 million a year salary.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns sign Bol Bol there is a reason. There are other centers available.

Also, Bol is 23 and makes approximately $2.2 million.

Ayton will be 25 in July and makes about $32.5 million.

Why are some comparing them? Bol Bol would likely be the 15th man on the roster.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Bol has a 17.6% turnover percentage, which is really high. Ayton is just 11.4, which isn't great either but he also sees a lot more time so his numbers are more accurate than Bol's in that regard.

Make no mistake, Bol Bol is not going replace Ayton and those who call Ayton soft, a finesse player, and scared of contact are going to loath Bol²
Never said Bol Bol could replace Ayton, I said Bol Bol wouldn't ever start

What I'm asking about as for the turnover rate tho - is two completely different players. We've never seen Ayton go between the legs, step back and shoot the 3

We've never seen Ayton go behind the back, cross it over and then attack the rim and by attack the rim I mean actually dunk it my man

I get that Bol Bol isn't on Ayton's level and never will be. But his turnover rate isn't why. Bol Bol does a whole lot more with the ball - a lot that would be considered ill advised- and plays with a whole lot more testosterone. But for Bol Bol to continue to develop - he's gotta admit to himself that he isn't Kevin Durant and stick to what he's good at

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Hoop Head beat you to the punch with your significantly higher turnover rate - and I'll concede it is indeed significantly higher

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never said Bol Bol could replace Ayton, I said Bol Bol wouldn't ever start

What I'm asking about as for the turnover rate tho - is two completely different players. We've never seen Ayton go between the legs, step back and shoot the 3

We've never seen Ayton go behind the back, cross it over and then attack the rim and by attack the rim I mean actually dunk it my man

I get that Bol Bol isn't on Ayton's level and never will be. But his turnover rate isn't why. Bol Bol does a whole lot more with the ball - a lot that would be considered ill advised- and plays with a whole lot more testosterone. But for Bol Bol to continue to develop - he's gotta admit to himself that he isn't Kevin Durant and stick to what he's good at

You're watching highlights and his entire career has but a few plays of them. Those moments are few and far between. There are highlight videos out there that would make one think Ayton is a physical monster who constantly throws it down, runs the court and flexes on people.

Bol Bol does have a turnover problem though. He is weak with the ball and gets stripped easily.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You're watching highlights and his entire career has but a few plays of them. Those moments are few and far between. There are highlight videos out there that would make one think Ayton is a physical monster who constantly throws it down, runs the court and flexes on people.

Bol Bol does have a turnover problem though. He is weak with the ball and gets stripped easily.
Okay phraz now wow me with highlights of DeAndre Ayton crossing people over in the NBA. Of Ayton dribbling behind the back in an actual NBA game on his way to the rim resulting in some dunkness. I'm not saying these highlights don't exist, I'm just saying I don't remember Ayton rocking handles like that in the NBA - which is probably a good thing. I know Bol Bol shouldn't be doing it - just look at his turnover rate lol

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns sign Bol Bol there is a reason. There are other centers available.

Also, Bol is 23 and makes approximately $2.2 million.

Ayton will be 25 in July and makes about $32.5 million.

Why are some comparing them? Bol Bol would likely be the 15th man on the roster.

Some are comparing them because others are calling Bol Bol a Center and suggesting playing him with Ayton at PF. ;)

That's causing those of us who have seen a bit more of Bol without drinking the koolaid to offer responses. The main thing they have in common is they both believe they're better than they are and they're more capable than they've shown, which isn't the case as far I've seen. They've been given plenty of opportunities and wasted them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m really not sure about this. Does anyone really think he will be a useful playoff center for us?

since we can only sign him to minimum contract again next year he is not developmental.

maybe the goal is just to entertain the fans.
He’s not a center. He’s a new age stretch 4.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some are comparing them because others are calling Bol Bol a Center and suggesting playing him with Ayton at PF. ;)

That's causing those of us who have seen a bit more of Bol without drinking the koolaid to offer responses. The main thing they have in common is they both believe they're better than they are and they're more capable than they've shown, which isn't the case as far I've seen. They've been given plenty of opportunities and wasted them.

IIRC, I think the first person to bring up Bol Bol recently was John Gambadoro a few days ago on twitter, not other posters on the forum.

I view Bol Bol as a 23 year old player who averaged 9.1 points and 5.8 rebounds last season.

I'm not looking to put a position label on him or overly worry about his turnovers.

My guess is he has tried to handle the ball the more than Ayton thus he has more turnovers. Anyway, this is not why the Suns are interested in Bol Bol. A lot of Ayton's turnovers are credited to the passer.

Again, I'm not sure why a starting center is being compared to perhaps the 15th man on the roster.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I did see a podcast where he began last season on fire! I forgot he was the NBA talk of the season. He did fall back to earth. He had quite the run to start last year, though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If Bol Bol became a Phonix phenom, maybe the Bol Bowl haircut would take off?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did see a podcast where he began last season on fire! I forgot he was the NBA talk of the season. He did fall back to earth. He had quite the run to start last year, though.

As I recall, he couldn't miss a 3-pointer until he couldn't make one.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do I think Ish Wainwright adds positive value to this team? No.

Do I think Bol Bol could possibly add positive value to this team in certain situations? Yes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And why is that? By inference you think Ish is a negative. Tell me why.

I can provide 2,

1. he takes a roster spot from a real NBA talent.
2. Luxury tax cost to retain him is like triple his salary due to how far over the tax apron we are. He's certainly not worth roughly $6m a year to the team. It'd be better to keep the roster spot empty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison