Welcome to the Valley: Bol Bol

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't suspect they are particularly worried about the Spurs or Thunder this season. I'm sure they are thinking about the Nuggets and the more length you have against them, the better.
I am pretty sure they are investigating options for down the road with either of those guys being potential matchup issues. Bol is a bit of a shot in the dark for that, but for a developmental guy at the end of the bench, why not?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! Who's going to be the point guard now?
We were asking that question with Payne on the roster too. I think we should be fine. We have a bunch of ball handlers on this team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. One year deal. Coach him up and leaves. Don't coach him up and he's worthless. So what's the point? Why a one year deal for a young player? Sign him for three years with team options or don't bother.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So. One year deal. Coach him up and leaves. Don't coach him up and he's worthless. So what's the point? Why a one year deal for a young player? Sign him for three years with team options or don't bother.
First we don't know if he had more options or just wanted to play with these guys for one year. If you are Bol Bol and there is a even a chance to up your worth? You don't want to be stuck in a 3 year deal with the Suns below your market value. It's likely a let's see what happens 1 year deal for him.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
1 year is dating, let's have some fun and see where this goes

3 years is moving in together, intermingling families during holidays, kids going to school together

If he helps us and we help him it was still a good relationship - whether he splits or not - but this aint burger king

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 year is dating, let's have some fun and see where this goes

3 years is moving in together, intermingling families during holidays, kids going to school together

If he helps us and we help him it was still a good relationship - whether he splits or not - but this aint burger king

It's a good analogy. I think both sides would like to go out on a date first.

Like other vet minimum players, they hope to increase their value.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We can run 3 of our 7 footers and STILL have the 3 headed monster on the court. WTF
book
beal
kd
ayton
bol
If KD is actually 7 ft. I've heard he is AND he isn't.
Gonna be some awesome lineups available for Vogel.
KD insists he is only 6'10" but when he stands next to Ayton, he is taller and Ayton is supposed to be 6'10". I have always heard court side commentators say he's 7 foot.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Bol Bol has potential but failed through several teams already. So it's risky. I guess we'd let the bigs compete for minuts by their court particularly defensive effectiveness. If he matures there, we might have an additional weapon. Otherwise, cut him before playoffs to make room for another big backup.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't suspect they are particularly worried about the Spurs or Thunder this season. I'm sure they are thinking about the Nuggets and the more length you have against them, the better.
The thunder might be way better than you think.

personally, I rank them right up with the biggest threats in the west other than Denver.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD insists he is only 6'10" but when he stands next to Ayton, he is taller and Ayton is supposed to be 6'10". I have always heard court side commentators say he's 7 foot.
Ayton is 6’11.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We need role players. Young role players with upside. Cheap young role players with upside. He fits.

Who knows how much time he'll see. But if he ever plays with our 1's, he's going to see alot of space for his lanky butt to find the rim and/or putbacks. Teams would still need to account for a 7'2" guy with 7'8" wingspan and having to haul butt because they overcommitted to try to stop KD, Book, Beal, or Gordon.

We'd love to have replacement-level starters, but we just need competent backups and those that can also create matchup issues while being dirt cheap. I'd call that a gold-star pickup.

I also think that if we can't re-sign Bol Bol or whoever, then it opens the door for the next mercenary who wants to be put in a prime position to have a good year and make a payday. That doesn't mean we'd get one, or that such a player would capitalize. But, if Bol Bol left, we'd be a prime destination.

If you know the term first-world problems. Well Bol Bol's signing at worst is the NBA version of that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Suns plans for Bol Bol, but one better believe the Suns have watched all his game video and have a plan on how to use him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like this more if we had a team or player option for year 2. There's zero incentive to develop him. As an end of the bench guy that's fine but I wonder how effective he might be if he's needed. I guess we'll see.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After a season or two with the Spurs,,,,his ELSEWHERE will be in Europe or Asian country.

After two runs in the NBA,,, he will not get a third try.

Payne was going to cost us 20+ million in luxury tax... I get it. At some point you have to look at the price when it comes to the fine margins and if they like Goodwin more than Payne, it is a no brainer. But I expect that Cam Payne has a lot more meaningful minutes left in his career than Bol Bol does.

That isn't a ringing endorsement of Cam Payne.

It is far more likely that we cut Bol before the playoffs than Bol becoming a rotation player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a season or two with the Spurs,,,,his ELSEWHERE will be in Europe or Asian country.

After two runs in the NBA,,, he will not get a third try.
I think he will. When all is right in Payne world, he's one of the best backup point guards in the league. Unless he solves his nagging injury problems (and reduces the time it takes him to recover and get back up to speed) he may never get a chance as the primary backup again but a lot of teams would love to have a weapon like him at the end of their bench. Including us, if it hadn't been so expensive to keep him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like this more if we had a team or player option for year 2. There's zero incentive to develop him. As an end of the bench guy that's fine but I wonder how effective he might be if he's needed. I guess we'll see.
This is exactly what I was saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd